Jan Inge Hovig
Hovig was born at Verran in Nord-Trøndelag, Norway. He was the son of Johannes Sigurd Hovig (1895-1953) and Gudlaug Pauline Taugstad (1900-1969). Hovig finished his studies at the Norwegian Institute of Technology in 1946. He was city architect during the reconstruction of Narvik 1947-1950. Narvik had been devastated in battle during 1940 as part of the Norwegian Campaign of the German invasion of Norway. In 1950 he moved to Oslo and founded his own office. In 1956 Hovig entered into a partnership with Christian Norberg-Schulz. From 1972 Hovig entered into a partnership with Helge B. Kvernes in Porsgrunn.
Hovig represented Norway at the Architecture Exhibition during the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Hovig's most notable work is the Arctic Cathedral (Tromsøysund kirke), which was drafted in 1960 and completed in 1965. The church is part of the Tromsøysund parish in the Diocese of Nord-Hålogaland. It is now probably the city's most famous building.
Jan Inge Hovig married Norwegian television chef and author Ingrid Espelid Hovig in June 1977. Just one week after the wedding ceremony, he died of myocardial infarction. He was buried at Vestre gravlund in Oslo.
- 1957 - Peace Chapel (Fredskapellet) - Narvik
- 1958 - Harstad Church (Harstad kyrkje).
- 1961 - Tromsø Police Department (Troms politihus)
- 1965 - Arctic Cathedral (Tromsøysund kirke) in Tromsø.
- 1965 - Alfheim Swimming Pool (Alfheim svømmehall) in Tromsø.
- 1968 - Athletic Centre (Idrettens hus) in Narvik.
- Elisabeth Seip. "Jan Inge Hovig". Norsk kunstnerleksikon. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- "Jan Inge Hovig". lokalhistoriewiki.no. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Bjørn Cappelen. "Jan Inge Hovig". Store norske leksikon. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- VG Drømmehytta kan bli århundrets bygg (In Norwegian)
- "Fredskapellet". Kulturminnesøk. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Architecture Guide for Northern Norway Harstad Church
- Architecture Guide for Northern Norway Tromsø Police Department
- Architecture Guide for Northern Norway Tromsdalen Church
- Architecture Guide for Northern Norway Alfheim Swimming Pool
- Architecture Guide for Northern Norway Idrettens hus
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jan Inge Hovig.|
|This article about a Norwegian architect is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|