This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jan Mühlstein grew up in a German-speaking Jewish family, which traditionally practised Liberal Judaism. In 1967, he began studying physics at the Karl University in Prague. After the defeat of the reformation movement known as the Prague Spring, in which Mühlstein participated actively, he emigrated to West Germany in 1969. From 1970 onwards, he studied physics at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich and completed a Ph.D. in theoretical quantum optics in 1977. During the next four years, he worked in the leadership of project energy research of the nuclear energy research facility in Jülich. Since 1982 Mühlstein has been working as a business journalist in Munich and is deputy chief editor of a journal covering the economics of the energy market.
Between 1977 and 1978 Mühlstein was a board member of the West German section of Amnesty International. He is a co-founder of the Liberal Jewish Community Munich "Beth Shalom", whose chair he was until 2005. He was again elected as chair of Beth Shalom in May 2011. From 1999 until 2011, he was the chair of the Union of Progressive Jews in Germany. Mühlstein is particularly committed to promote religious plurality in Judaism.
Mühlstein is married to Dr. Verena Mühlstein (*1953), author of a biography about Albert Schweitzer's wife, Helene Bresslau, who is also active at Beth Shalom. One of his three daughters works as a rabbi at the West London Synagogue of British Jews.
- Publications of Jan Mühlstein in Greenpilot-Database of the Deutsche Zentralbibliothek für Medizin
- Report about congregation Beth Shalom
- Süddeutsche Zeitung Nr.102, 4th Mai 2004, p. 4, see http://www.liberale-juden.de/cms/index.php?id=141&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Bpointer%5D=4&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=47&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=95
- Zur Person. In: Jüdische Zeitung February 2006
- Kurzvita auf energiemarkt-medien.de
- Vereinsregisterblatt Nr. 5588 des Amtsgerichts Hamburg zu amnesty international Sektion der Bundesrepublik Deutschland e.V.
- Jan Mühlstein: 10 Jahre Beth Shalom. In: Beth Shalom Rundbrief 2/2005, p. 1f
- Jan Mühlstein geht. Die liberale Dachorganisation wählt einen neuen Vorstand, Jüdische Allgemeine 7 July 2011; See also WUPJ News Issue 415 (http://www.wupj.org/Publications/Newsletter.asp?ContentID=439#SONJA)
- Axel Fritzsche: «Wir brauchen flexible Rabbiner». Interview mit Jan Mühlstein, Vorsitzender der Union Progressiver Juden. In: Jüdische Zeitung February 2006
- Verena Mühlstein: Helene Schweitzer Bresslau. Ein Leben für Lambarene. München: C.H. Beck, 1998