|Member of the Bundestag|
|Assumed office |
|Born||5 July 1981|
Worms, West Germany
|Political party||Christian Democratic Union (CDU)|
|Alma mater||University of Applied Sciences, Worms|
Jan Metzler (born 5 July 1981 in Worms, West Germany) is a German politician who represents the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) in the Bundestag, the German federal parliament. Metzler was first elected in the 2013 election, gaining the constituency of Worms, which had previously been held by the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD) since its creation in 1949.
Early life and education
Metzler was born in Worms in 1981. He came from a family of winemakers and his sister had been German Wine Princess for 2007/2008. Like his father, he trained to be a winemaker and studied Business Administration, gaining an MBA and a master's degree in International Management.
Prior to his election to the Bundestag, Metzler had held a number of roles in his local party, serving as a member of the CDU District Executive for Alzey-Worms from 2000 to 2008, on the CDU district board for Rheinhessen-Pfalz from 2001 onwards and as District Chairman of the Alzey-Worms branch of the CDU from 2003 to 2012. His first public role came in 2004, when he was elected to Alzey-Worms district council. Since 2004 he has served as Deputy Chairman of the CDU parliamentary group in the Westhofen collective municipal council and Chairman of the CDU faction in the Dittelsheim-Heßloch council.
In addition to serving as a local councillor, Metzler subsequently spent five years as the international coordinator at the University of Applied Sciences of Worms and was responsible for supervising the student foreign exchange programs.
He was selected as the CDU candidate for Worms in November 2012. For the 2013 election, in addition to being a candidate for Worms, Metzler had been placed eleventh on the CDU list for Rhineland-Palatinate In the election, he increased the CDU vote share by 7% on an increased turnout and beat his SPD challenger Marcus Held.
In parliament, Metzler serves on the Committee on Economic Affairs and Energy as well as on its Subcommittee on Regional Economic Development.
- University of Applied Sciences, Worms, Member of the Advisory Board on International Management
During the election campaign, Metzler opposed income tax rises and the creation of a national minimum wage, arguing that collective bargaining by trade unions was a better way to achieve minimum wage standards than have it set by politicians. He also called for greater support for middle-class people and opposed further increases in inheritance tax.
- Prognosen im Wahlkreis 207 Alzey-Worms: Das Lesen im Kaffeesatz, Allgemeine Zeitung, 19 September 2013
- Die Interessen jenseits der Politik, Allgemeine Zeitung, 20 September 2013
- CDU Bundestagskandidat Jan Metzler besucht Nierstein, Allgemeine Zeitung, 4 September 2013
- Biography at Germany Bundestag site, accessed 29 November 2013
- Rheinhessen: Jan Metzler geht für die CDU ins Rennen um Bundestagsmandat im Wahlkreis 207, Allgemeine Zeitung, 29 November 2012
- Metzler gewinnt Direktmandat – Held über Landesliste im Bundestag, Nibelungen Kurier, 23 September 2013
- WZ-Wahlforum: Wormser Direktkandidaten tauschen sich über bundespolitische Themen aus, Wormser Zeitung, 18 September 2013
- CDU Bundestagskandidat Jan Metzler besucht Nierstein, Allgemeine Zeitung, 29 November 2012
- Diese Unionsabgeordneten stimmten für die Ehe für alle Die Welt, June 30, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jan Metzler.|