Jan Neruda Grammar School
|This article does not cite any sources. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The school has two sites. The main grammar school is located on Hellichova Street whilst a separate site that teaches only music is located on Komenského square. Jan Neruda Grammar School offers three courses of study; bilingual (French-Czech), science and humanities. In the first and second years subjects are taught in Czech, but from the third year most subjects (apart from languages, fine arts and sports) are taught in French. The course in the musical school lasts for 8 years, and it takes 6 years to complete the Grammar school. The staff of the Grammar school consists of about 65 teachers.
The current Headmaster is Mgr. Juraj Liška., he has two assistant headmasters.
Jan Neruda Grammar School is one of the oldest schools in the Czech Republic. It was founded in 1865, although not in the contemporary building which has been occupied since 1876.
Graduates of note
Among well known graduates of the school there are:
- Bohumil Bydžovský – an academic
- Bohuslava Kecková – the first Czech female doctor
- Jan Patočka - professor and philosopher
- Jiří Paroubek – former Czech prime minister and prominent politician
- Jiří Šedivý - Defence Minister
- Radim Palouš – professor
- Vladislav Vančura – a writer
- Media related to Gymnázium Jana Nerudy at Wikimedia Commons