|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
20 July 2004
|1st Marshal of Silesian Voivodeship|
1 January 1999 – 26 November 2002
|Preceded by||Inaugural holder|
|Succeeded by||Michał Czarski|
|Born||22 September 1952|
|Political party||Civic Platform (2004–present)|
|Solidarity Electoral Action (1997–2001)|
Social Movement (2002–2004)
|Alma mater||Jagiellonian University|
Jan Marian Olbrycht (born 21 September 1952, in Rybnik) is a Polish politician of the Civic Platform who has been serving Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for Silesian Voivodeship since 2004. Olbrycht sits as part of the European People's Party. Before entering European politics, he was the first Marshal of Silesian Voivodeship between 1999 and 2002.
- 1984: Doctor of Sociology, Jagiellonian University
Career in national politics
- 2002-2004: Chairman of the Policy Council of the Social Movement
- since 2004: Member of the National Council of the Citizens' Platform
- 1990-1998: Mayor and member of the town council in Cieszyn
- 1998-2004: Regional Councillor of the Silesian Voivodeship
- 1998-2002: Marshal of the Silesian Voivodeship
- 1995-2001: Vice-Chairman of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions
- 2000-2004: Member of the Organisation of the Assembly of European Regions (ARE)
- 2004: Member of the World Council of United Cities and Local Governments
- 2000-2004: Member of the National Council for Regional Policy
- since 2003: Member of the Committee for National Spatial Planning, Polish Academy of Sciences (PAN)
Member of the European Parliament, 2004–present
Olbrycht has been a Member of the European Parliament since the 2004 European elections. In parliament, he has since served on the Committee on Regional Development (2004-2014), the Committee on Budgetary Control (2009-2011) and the Committee on Budgets (since 2014). In the latter capacity, he is the parliament's co-rapporteur (alongside Margarida Marques) on the European Union's Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) for 2021–2027.
In addition to his committee assignments, Olbrycht has been part of the parliament's delegations for relations with China (2004-2009); Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-2014); the countries of Southeast Asia and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (2014-2019); and Canada (since 2019). He also chairs the URBAN Intergroup and is a member of the European Internet Forum.
Within the centre-right European People's Party Group (EPP) group, Olbrycht is one of the deputies of chairman Manfred Weber. In 2021, he was appointed to the group's task force for proposing changes to its rules of procedure to allow for “the possibility of the collective termination of membership of a group of Members rather than just individual membership”, alongside Esteban González Pons, Othmar Karas, Esther de Lange and Paulo Rangel.
Decorations and awards
- Knight's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (2000)
- Emperor-Maximilian-Prize (2005)
- Franciszka Cegielska's Rose Award (2010)
- MEP Award in the economic and monetary affairs category (2018)
- Cécile Barbière (February 11, 2020), Lawmakers pressure Paris to do more for EU budget EURACTIV.
- Jan Olbrycht European Parliament.
- Members URBAN Intergroup.
- Members European Internet Forum.
- Florian Eder (June 13, 2019), POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by Google: Madrid’s moment — Parliament working groups sneak peak — Happy birthday, GDPR Politico Europe.
- EPP Group re-elects Manfred Weber as Group Chair European People's Party Group (EPP), press release of June 5, 2019.
- Mia Bartoloni (January 15, 2021), Movers and Shakers The Parliament Magazine.
- "MEP awards 2018: A word from the winners". Retrieved 31 August 2021.
- Official website (in Polish)
- Personal profile of Jan Olbrycht in the European Parliament's database of members
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (in Polish)