He graduated as a biochemist at the Catholic University of Nijmegen (Nijmegen). He obtained a PhD in Medicine at Utrecht University (Utrecht) with a thesis on Motility and hemodynamics of the canine gastrointestinal tract.
In 1979, he started his career at Janssen Pharmaceutica, where he became assistant head of the Department of Pharmacodynamics, head of the Department of Gastrointestinal pharmacology and finally vice-president Gastrointestinal Discovery. In 2007, he founded a new pharmaceutical company, Movetis, together with Remi Van den Broeck, Staf Van Reet and Dirk Reyn.
- 1997, Dr. Paul Janssen award.
- Schuurkes JA, Tukker JJ, The interdigestive colonic motor complex of the dog, Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1980 Oct;247(2):329-34.
- Schuurkes JA., Pharmacotherapy of gastrointestinal motor disorders, Rev Gastroenterol Mex. 1994 Apr-Jun;59(2):165-70.
- Schuurkes JA, Meulemans AL., Nitric oxide and gastric relaxation, Dig Dis Sci. 1994 Dec;39(12 Suppl):79S-81S.
- KBC Private Equity en KBC Private Equity Fund Biotech investeren 7 miljoen euro in 49 miljoen euro private financieringsronde van Movetis (Dutch)
- Alarm in de darm BW
|This article about a Dutch scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|