Karin Jan Smithers
July 3, 1949
|Residence||Ojai, California, U.S.|
(m. 1971; div. 1972)
(m. 1986; div. 1995)
Life and career
Smithers grew up with her parents and three sisters in Woodland Hills, California, and attended what is now William Howard Taft Charter High School there. She first reached the public eye as a teenager when she was featured on the March 21, 1966, cover of Newsweek, seated on a motorcycle.
Smithers's first marriage was to Kipp Whitman from 1971 to 1972. From 1986 to 1995, she was married to actor James Brolin and was stepmother to his two children from a previous marriage; together they have one daughter, Molly.
- Where the Lilies Bloom (1974) as Devola
- When the North Wind Blows (1974)
- Trick or Treat (1975)
- Our Winning Season (1978) as Cathy Wakefield
- The Love Tapes (1980 TV movie) as Carol Clark
- Mr. Nice Guy (1987) as Lise
- Love Story as Barbara (1 episode, 1973)
- Starsky and Hutch as Sharman Crane (1 episode, 1976)
- WKRP in Cincinnati as Bailey Quarters (86 episodes, 1978–1982)
- The Love Boat (4 episodes, 1982–1984)
- The Fall Guy as Cynthia Caldwell (1 episode, 1983)
- Legmen as Sarah Turner (1 episode, 1984)
- Finder of Lost Loves as Barbara Hensen (1 episode, 1984)
- Mike Hammer (1 episode, 1985)
- Cover Up as Karen Morris (1 episode, 1985)
- Murder, She Wrote as Kathy Farrell (1 episode, 1985)
- Comedy Factory as Barrie Shepherd (1 episode, 1985)
- Hotel as Janice Copeland (2 episodes, 1984–1986)
- Jones, Abigail (May 12, 2016). "An Interview With Jan Smithers, Newsweek Teen Cover Star In 1966". Newsweek.
- "Whatever Happened To Actress Jan Smithers". July 3, 2006. Archived from the original on June 15, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2008.
- 2014 WKRP Reunion
- Vorpahl, Beverly (September 19, 1980). "'WKRP' stars: Behind the masks". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Cowles Publishing Company.