|Born||Karin Jan Smithers
July 3, 1949
North Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
(m. 1971; div. 1972)
(m. 1986; div. 1995)
Life and career
Smithers grew up with her parents and three sisters in Woodland Hills, California, and attended William Howard Taft Charter High School there. She first reached the public eye as a teenager when she was featured on the March 21, 1966, cover of Newsweek, seated on a motorcycle.
Smithers's first marriage was to Kipp Whitman from 1971 to 1972. From 1986 to 1995, she was married to actor James Brolin and was stepmother to his two sons from a previous marriage; together they have one daughter, Molly.
- Love Story as Barbara (1 episode, 1973)
- When the North Wind Blows (1974)
- Where the Lilies Bloom (1974) as Devola
- Trick or Treat (1975)
- Starsky and Hutch as Sharman Crane (1 episode, 1976)
- Our Winning Season (1978) as Cathy Wakefield
- The Love Tapes (1980) (TV) as Carol Clark
- WKRP in Cincinnati as Bailey Quarters (86 episodes, 1978–1982)
- The Fall Guy as Cynthia Caldwell (1 episode, 1983)
- Legmen as Sarah Turner (1 episode, 1984)
- Finder of Lost Loves as Barbara Hensen (1 episode, 1984)
- The Love Boat (4 episodes, 1982–1984)
- Mike Hammer (1 episode, 1985)
- Cover Up as Karen Morris (1 episode, 1985)
- Murder, She Wrote as Kathy Farrell (1 episode, 1985)
- Comedy Factory as Barrie Shepherd (1 episode, 1985)
- Hotel as Janice Copeland (2 episodes, 1984–1986)
- Mr. Nice Guy (1987) as Lise
- Jones, Abigail (May 12, 2016). "An Interview With Jan Smithers, Newsweek Teen Cover Star In 1966". Newsweek.
- "Whatever Happened To Actress Jan Smithers". 2006-07-03. Archived from the original on 2008-06-15. Retrieved 2008-01-21.
- 2014 WKRP Reunion
- Vorpahl, Beverly (September 19, 1980). "'WKRP' stars: Behind the masks". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Cowles Publishing Company.