|1st Mayor of Helsinki|
|Assumed office |
1 June 2017
|Preceded by||Jussi Pajunen|
|Minister of Economic Affairs|
16 November 2012 – 29 May 2015
|Prime Minister||Jyrki Katainen|
|Preceded by||Jyri Häkämies|
|Succeeded by||Olli Rehn|
|Minister of Housing|
19 April 2007 – 22 June 2011
|Prime Minister||Matti Vanhanen|
|Preceded by||Anneli Taina|
|Succeeded by||Krista Kiuru|
|Born||3 April 1965|
|Political party||National Coalition Party|
|Alma mater||University of Helsinki|
Hanken School of Economics
Jan Pellervo Vapaavuori (born 3 April 1965 in Helsinki) is a Finnish politician, the former Minister of Economic Affairs, and mayor of Helsinki as of June 2017. Vapaavuori was Minister of Housing and Minister of Nordic Cooperation in Matti Vanhanen's second cabinet and Mari Kiviniemi's cabinet. He was a candidate for the head of his party (the centre-right National Coalition Party) in the June 2014 election, and as part of that the likeliest interim Prime Minister of Finland. However he eventually failed to make the eventual head-to-head round within the Coalition Party, which saw Alexander Stubb defeat Paula Risikko.
Vapaavuori has been a Helsinki City Council member since 1997. He has been a member of the Parliament since 2003, from the constituency of Helsinki, and he represents the National Coalition Party. From 2011 to 2012 he was the chairman of the party's parliamentary group. Vapaavuori was elected Mayor of Helsinki in 2017. His term started on 1 June 2017.
Vapaavuori acquired a law degree from University of Helsinki in 1989. He continued his studies in Helsinki, Uppsala, The Hague and Hanken School of Economics as well. He has worked in the National Union of University Students in Finland.
Vapaavuori was born into a bilingual family: his father, Panu, is a Finnish jurist and mother, Gun, was a Swedish teacher. He is married to Outi Laitinen-Vapaavuori, a doctor of veterinary medicine.
- "The Democratic Society". National Coalition Party (KOK). 3 March 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- Leadership campaign discussion live!
- Alexander Stubb to be the Chairman of the Coalition Party.
- Finnish Council of State - Jan Vapaavuori
- Personal details - Minister of Housing Jan Vapaavuori. Finnish Government
- "National Coalition Party and Greens win elections, Jan Vapaavuori to be Mayor". City of Helsinki. 10 April 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Jan Vapaavuori – Rötösherra". City (in Finnish). Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- Jan Vapaavuori -Rötösherra. City -lehti 16/2006 read 16.10.2007
- Juhani Sirén. Mistä on kansanedustajat tehty. City-lehti 1/2003 read 16.10.2007
|This article about a Finnish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|