Jan Zaprudnik (Belarusian: Янка Запруднік / Janka Zaprudnik, real name Siarhej Vilčycki Сяргей Вільчыцкі; born 1926, Mir) is an American historian and publicist of Belarusan descent. He is also one of the leaders of the Belarusian community in the United States and an honoured member of the Belarusian PEN-centre.
Jan Zaprudnik was born into a family of school teachers in what was then the Second Polish Republic. During the Occupation of Belarus by Nazi Germany Zaprudnik graduated from the Gymnasium in Baranavičy and studied at a high school there.
In 1957 Jan Zaprudnik moved to the United States.
In 1969 he received a doctorate in history from New York University about Belarusian representatives in the State Duma of the Russian Empire at the beginning of the 20th century and later worked as a professor in history at several universities.
Jan Zaprudnik started his publishing in 1947. During his life, he was a correspondent and an editor of many periodicals of the Belarusian diaspora.
Main works in English are:
- Belarus: At a Crossroads in History (1993, ISBN 0-8133-1794-0)
- Historical Dictionary of Belarus (1998, ISBN 0-8108-3449-9)
- Biography at www.belarus-misc.org
- BELARUS IN WORLD WAR II: COLLABORATIONISTS AND PARTISANS - interview for Radio Free Europe
- Палітычнае змаганне за Беларусь у царскіх Дзяржаўных думах (1906-1917 гг.) // ARCHE. 2009. № 1/2. С. 43-217.