|Member of the European Parliament
for Czech Republic
|Ambassador of the European Union in Iraq|
|Ambassador of the European Union in Namibia|
26 June 1965 |
|Political party||SNK European Democrats, European Democratic Party, European People's Party|
Jana Hybášková (born 26 June 1965 in Prague) is a Czech politician, diplomat and former Ambassador of the European Union in Iraq (2011–2015). From 2004 to 2009, she was a Member of the European Parliament for the European People's Party. She was a chairwoman of the European Democratic Party (EDS). Since September 2015, she has been serving as the Ambassador of the European Union in Namibia.
As a Member of the European Parliament, she was a member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, a substitute on the Committee on Budgets and chairwoman of the European delegation for relations with Israel. Jana Hybášková is also a member of the Steering Committee of the World Movement for Democracy. She has been a strong critic of Iran and its President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and has advocated closer relations between Israel and Europe.
She graduated in Arabic at Charles University, earning a doctorate in 1989, and worked at the Foreign Ministry of Czechoslovakia and then the Czech Republic from 1991 to 1997. She was Ambassador of the Czech Republic to Slovenia 1997–2001, and then in Qatar and Kuwait (2002–2004).
She is a founding signatory of the Prague Declaration on European Conscience and Communism, and the co-organizer (with Senator Martin Mejstřík) of its preceding conference. She co-sponsored the European Parliament resolution of 2 April 2009 on European conscience and totalitarianism on behalf of the European People's Party.
- 1989: Doctor of Philosophy (Faculty of Philosophy and Arts, Charles University, Prague
- 1997–2001: Ambassador of the Czech Republic to Slovenia
- 2001–2002: Adviser to the State Secretary for European Affairs
- 2002–2004: Ambassador of the Czech Republic to Kuwait and Qatar
- 2004–2008: Member of the 'SNK - Evropští demokraté' (European Democrats) political party
- 2008–2010: Chairwoman of the European Democratic Party
- 2011–2015: Ambassador of the European Union in Iraq
- 2015–present: Ambassador of the European Union in Namibia
- Holder of the decoration 'Záslužný kříž ministra obrany ČR II stupně' (Cross of Merit of the Minister of Defence of the Czech Republic, Second Class)
- "Five questions to… Jana Hybaskova". European Jewish Press. 16 Dec 2005. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Prague Declaration - Declaration Text". Institute for Information on the Crimes of Communism. 3 June 2008. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Joint motion for a resolution: European Parliament resolution on European conscience and totalitarianism". Europa.eu. 30 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jana Hybášková.|