Church of Saint Lawrence in Janakkala
Location of Janakkala in Finland
|• Municipality manager||Pekka Harju|
|• Total||547.46 km2 (211.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||547.44 km2 (211.37 sq mi)|
|• Water||38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi)|
|Area rank||156th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||69th largest in Finland|
|• Density||30.8/km2 (80/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||19%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||17.4%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Tavastia Proper region. To the south, Janakkala shares a boundary with Riihimäki, the Northern neighbour being Hämeenlinna. The municipality has a population of 16,862 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 547.46 square kilometres (211.38 sq mi) of which 38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi) is water. The population density is 30.8 inhabitants per square kilometre (80/sq mi). In Janakkala the rate of unemployment is 9.7% and the rate of municipal taxes is 19.5%.
Sites of particular interest include: Hakoinen fortress hill and manor house, the latter being privately owned; St Lauri's (Lawrence's) mediaeval stone church; the Torppari Museo (authentic wooden village buildings and windmill) and numerous Bronze Age sacrifice stones, all in Janakkala village.
The place where actor Ida Aalberg was born is located in Leppäkoski village.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "population_count" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Janakkala at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Janakkala – Official website (Finnish)
|This Southern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|