Church of Saint Lawrence in Janakkala
Location of Janakkala in Finland
|• Municipality manager||Pekka Harju|
|• Total||586.07 km2 (226.28 sq mi)|
|• Land||547.44 km2 (211.37 sq mi)|
|• Water||38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi)|
|Area rank||200th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||68th largest in Finland|
|• Density||30.86/km2 (79.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||19%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||17.4%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Tavastia Proper region. To the south, Janakkala shares a boundary with Riihimäki, the Northern neighbour being Hämeenlinna. The municipality has a population of 16,896 (30 June 2015) and covers an area of 586.07 square kilometres (226.28 sq mi) of which 38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi) is water. The population density is 30.86 inhabitants per square kilometre (79.9/sq mi). In Janakkala the rate of unemployment is 9.7% and the rate of municipal taxes is 19.5%.
Sites of particular interest include: Hakoinen fortress hill and manor house, the latter being privately owned; St Lauri's (Lawrence's) mediaeval stone church; the Torppari Museo (authentic wooden village buildings and windmill) and numerous Bronze Age sacrifice stones, all in Janakkala village.
The place where actor Ida Aalberg was born is located in Leppäkoski village.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.06.2015" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Janakkala at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Janakkala – Official website (Finnish)
|This Southern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|