Jane's Fighting Ships
Jane's Fighting Ships is an annual reference book (also published by the early 2000s online, on CD and microfiche) of information on all the world's warships arranged by nation, including information on ships' names, dimensions, armaments, silhouettes and photographs, etc. Each edition describes and illustrates warships of different national naval and paramilitary forces, providing data on their characteristics. The first issue was illustrated with Jane's own ink sketches--photos began to appear with the third volume in 1900. The present title was adopted in 1905.
It was originally published by John Frederick Thomas Jane (usually known as "Fred T.") in London in 1898 as Jane's All the World's Fighting Ships, in order to assist naval officers and the general public in playing naval wargames. Its success eventually launched a number of military publications carrying the name "Jane's". It is a unit of Jane's Information Group, which is now owned by IHS.
Ten early editions of Jane's (those of 1898, 1905-06, 1906-07, 1914, 1919, 1924, 1931, 1939, 1944-45, and 1950-51) were reissued in facsimile reprints by Arco Publishing starting in 1969. All of these appeared in the oblong or "landscape" format that characterized the series into the late 1950s when the present "portrait" layout was adopted, thus matching the sister Jane's publication on aircraft.
- 1898-1915: Fred T. Jane
- 1916-1917: Maurice Prendergast
- 1918-1922: Oscar Parks with Maurice Prendergast
- 1923-1929: Oscar Parkes with Francis E. McMurtrie
- 1930-1934: Oscar Parkes
- 1935-1948: Francis E. McMurtrie
- 1949-1973: Raymond Blackman
- 1974-1988: Capt. John Moore (RN)
- 1988-2000: Capt. Richard Sharpe (RN)
- 2001-2002: Capt. Richard Sharpe (RN), with Commodore Stephen Saunders (RN)
- 2002- 2018 Commodore Stephen Saunders (RN)
- 2018 - Present Alex Pape
Brooks, Richard. Fred T. Jane: An Eccentric Visionary. Coulsdon, Surrey: Jane's Information Group, 1997.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jane's Fighting Ships.|
- "Defence & Security Intelligence & Analysis". IHS Jane's 360.