Jane A. Restani
|Judge of the United States Court of International Trade|
November 16, 1983 – March 1, 2015
|Appointed by||Ronald Reagan|
|Preceded by||Herbert Maletz|
|Succeeded by||Gary Stephen Katzmann|
|Chief Judge of the United States Court of International Trade|
November 1, 2003 – November 1, 2010
|Preceded by||Gregory Carman|
|Succeeded by||Donald Pogue|
February 27, 1948 |
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Davis
Jane A. Restani (born February 27, 1948 in San Francisco, California) is a Senior Judge of the United States Court of International Trade. She was appointed to the Court on November 16, 1983 by President Ronald Reagan. She served as chief judge of the Court from 2003 to 2010.
She graduated first in her class in 1966 from Mercy High School (San Francisco). She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1969 in political science, cum laude, from the University of California, Berkeley, where she was a member of the Tower and Flame Honor Society. She received teaching credentials in 1970 from the University of California, Berkeley. In 1973, she received her Juris Doctor (fifth in her class) at the University of California, Davis School of Law. She was a law review staff writer in her second year, and articles editor in her third. She was a member of the Order of the Coif and Phi Kappa Phi.
Department of Justice career
She was admitted to practice law in California in 1973 and began her legal career in the Civil Division of the Justice Department, where she served as a trial attorney from 1973 to 1976. She served as assistant chief of the Commercial Litigation Branch of the Civil Division from 1976 to 1980. She served as Director of the Commercial Litigation Branch of the Civil Division from 1980 to 1983.
Trade Court service
On November 3, 1983, President Reagan nominated Restani to serve as a Judge for the United States Court of International Trade, to the seat vacated by Judge Herbert N. Maletz. She was confirmed by the Senate on November 15, 1983 and received her commission the following day. She assumed senior status on March 1, 2015.
Views on Wikipedia
In the case BP Products North America v. US, Court No. 06-00184, Restani wrote, "Based on the ability of any user to alter Wikipedia, the court is skeptical of it as a consistently reliable source of information. At this time, therefore, the court does not accept Wikipedia for the purposes of judicial notice."
Professional Honors and Activities
- Member, Bankruptcy-Consumer and Commercial Subcommittee of the Corporation, Banking and Business Law Committee of the American Bar Association
- Senior Executive Service Outstanding Performance Rating, September 1981
- Civil Division Performance Award, May 1980
- Meritorious Award, December 1979
- Outstanding Performance Rating, March 1979
- Department of Justice Special Achievement Award, October 1976
- Attorney General's Special Commendation, December 1975
- Guest Lecturer on Debtor-Creditor Law, Antioch School of Law
- Author, "Bankruptcy," Civil Division Practice Manual
- Willard, Richard K. (Deputy Asst Atty Gen, Civil Division) (1982-07-13). "Appointments to U.S. Claims Court" (PDF). Records Pertaining to John G. Roberts, Jr., Correspondence Files of Kenneth W. Starr, Counselor to the Attorney General, 1981-83, Accession No. 60-88-0498. National Archives and Records Administration. pp. 19–21. Retrieved 2008-04-22.in Folder: Court of Claims / Series: Correspondence Files of Ken Starr, 1981-83 / Acc. #60-880498 Box 2 / RG 60 Department of Justice
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- "Chief Judge Jane A. Restani". Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
Career Record: 1973-76, trial attorney, Attorney General’s Honor Program, 1976-80, Assistant Chief, Commercial Litigation Section, 1980-83, Director, Commercial Litigation Branch, all with Civil Division, Department of Justice. Admitted to California Supreme Court Bar, 1973.
- Restani, Jane A. (Fall 2006). "A SPECIAL YEAR IN THE LIFE OF THE UNITED STATES COURT OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE". Georgetown Journal of International Law. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
Chief Judge Emeritus Edward D. Re, Jr., the founding chief judge of the Court...
- "Jane A Restani". Carroll's Federal Directory. Carroll Publishing. 2008 . K2415003088. Retrieved 2008-04-22. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Michigan. Gale, 2008.
- Jane A. Restani at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Senior Judge Jane A. Restani Biography on U.S. Court of International Trade website
|Judge of the United States Court of International Trade
Gary Stephen Katzmann
|Chief Judge of the United States Court of International Trade