|Mayor of Tampa|
|Assumed office |
May 1, 2019
|Preceded by||Bob Buckhorn|
|Born||1959/1960 (age 59–60)|
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic (2015–present)|
|Republican (Before 2015)|
|Domestic partner||Melanie Bevan (2002–2018)|
Ana Cruz (2018–present)
|Education||University of Tampa (BS)|
Troy University (MPA)
Jane Castor is an American politician currently serving as the 59th mayor of Tampa, Florida. Castor is the city's first LGBTQ mayor. She previously served as the first female police chief from 2009 until 2015 with the Tampa Police Department.
Early life and education
Castor attended Chamberlain High School in Tampa and graduated in 1977. Castor attended the University of Tampa, where she played volleyball and basketball while earning a degree in criminology. She graduated in 1981. She got her Master of Public Administration from Troy State University by attending classes at MacDill Air Force Base. She also attended the FBI National Academy.
Castor joined the Tampa Police Department in 1984, when she was 24. She became assistant chief in 2005. She was appointed as chief in 2009 and served until her retirement in 2015.  
In the 2019 Tampa mayoral election, held on March 5, 2019, Castor led all candidates, garnering 48.0% of the vote. In the runoff election held on April 23, she defeated David Straz with 73% of the vote compared to Straz's 27%. She is the city's first openly lesbian mayor.
Castor entered into a civil union with current Bradenton Police Department chief Melanie Jean Bevan in 2002 in Vermont and they adopted two sons. Bevan filed for divorce in July 2018. Castor has been in a relationship with Democratic political analyst Ana Marie Cruz.
Castor was a Republican since she was 18 but switched to Democratic a month after retiring as police chief in 2015. She said she made the change because the party had drifted away from embracing diversity and treating people fairly. Although she was endorsed by Congresswoman Kathy Castor, who also attended the same high school, they are not related.
- Wilson, Kirby. "Tampa mayor election: Jane Castor easily defeats David Straz in historic race". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- CNN, Kate Sullivan. "Ex-police chief Jane Castor elected first LGBTQ mayor of Tampa, Florida". CNN. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Taylor, Janelle Irwin. "Kathy Castor backs Jane Castor in Tampa mayoral race". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Who is Jane Castor? Former police chief wants to be Tampa mayor". 10NEWS. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "UT Alumna Jane Castor Named Next Tampa Police Chief". University of Tampa. Retrieved September 17, 2009.
- "Jane Castor". University of Tampa Athletics. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Tampa's Finest: Jane Castor worked her way up the ranks to make PD history (Maddux Business Report)". By Bob Andelman. July 2, 2010. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Troy University MPA". www.facebook.com. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- Commerce, Greater Tampa Chamber of (January 19, 2017). "Leadership Tampa Alumni Honors Jane Castor with Parke Wright III Leadership Award". wordpress.com. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Former Tampa police chief Jane Castor to run for mayor". WFLA Channel 8. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Lambertsen, Kristen. "Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor has last day on the job before retiring". WFLA Channel 8. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- AP. "Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor retires after 31-year career". Gainesville.com. The Gainesville Sun. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Bryson, Anna. "An interview with Tampa mayoral candidate Jane Castor". CL Tampa. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- "Chief Jane Castor looks back over 31 years with Tampa police". Bay News 9. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- ABC Staff. "Election Results". ABC Action- Bay. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Wilson, Kirby. "Tampa mayor election: Jane Castor easily defeats David Straz in historic race". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Fitzsimons, Tim (April 23, 2019). "Tampa elects first out lesbian mayor, ex-police chief Jane Castor". NBC News. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- Staff. "Jane Castor hit with divorce suit". Florida Politics. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- March column: Castor changes parties while Republicans ponder Bush or Rubio
- "Carlton: Ex-top cop Jane Castor as Tampa's next mayor? It could happen". Tampa Bay Times. May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "Police Chief Castor gets friendly sendoff". Creative Loafing: Tampa Bay. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- Jane Castor profile at City of Tampa, Florida
| Mayor of Tampa