Jane E. Clarke
|Jane E. Clarke|
Jane Clarke – England – 2010
17 December 1954|
Kettering, Northamptonshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham, University College London|
|Known for||Author of children's books|
|Spouse(s)||Martin Clarke (deceased)|
Jane Elizabeth Clarke (born in 1954) is an English writer of children's books and poetry. Her best known books include Gilbert the Great (illustrated by Charles Fuge) and Stuck in the Mud (illustrated by Garry Parsons). Jane has published over 45 books including works used for children's reading schemes in schools. CBeebies Bedtime Stories have featured two of Jane's books, Stuck in the Mud (read by Will Mellor) and Knight Time (read by Jake Wood). Stuck in the Mud is also featured with a US Scholastic Book Club edition published by Scholastic Inc. which includes a CD audio edition. This audio edition is produced by Beatstreet Productions, NYC, directed by Cheryl Smith, read by Cassandra Morris and features music composed by Michael Abbott.
Jane Clarke is a team writer on three different popular series. Dinosaur Cove (series created by Working Partners Ltd. and published by Oxford University Press), Puddle the naughtiest puppy (series created by Working Partners Ltd. and published by Ladybird Books Ltd.) and Battersea Dogs and Cats Home (created by Random House Children's Books and published by Red Fox.)
Jane was born 17 December 1954 and brought up in Kettering, Northamptonshire, England. Her parents were Jim and June Andrew. She attended the Hawthorn Road County Primary School in Kettering. In 1972 Jane completed her secondary study at the Kettering High School for Girls. From 1972 to 1975 Jane attend the University of Birmingham where she earned a combined Bachelor of Arts with honours in archaeology and history. In 1981 she completed a PhD in archaeology from University College London.
On 5 November 1977 Jane married Martin Clarke. Martin worked as a chemical engineer. His work took them to Mexico, Brazil, the United States, Wales and the Netherlands. Together they raised two sons, Andrew Clarke (born 15 October 1983 in Wales) and Robert Clarke (born 18 October 1985 in Wales). Both sons completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma at the Antwerp International School in Belgium and completed university degrees in the UK.
During her doctoral studies Jane lectured at University College London (1978–79). Thereafter she lectured at University College Cardiff in Wales part time (1981–83), and also taught history at Bryn Hafren School in Barry, Wales (1979–83). After Jane moved with her family to Koewacht, Netherlands. She began working part time as a librarian at the Antwerp International School. During this time she started her career as a children's author.
Aside from writing children's books, Jane spends a significant amount of time inspiring children to read and write. She frequently visits schools throughout the UK and Europe to do so.
Jane has also done support work for various charitable organisations including Ellenor Lions Children's Hospice, Institute of Cancer Research (The Clapham Grand), Battersea Dogs and Cats Home and READ (promotes reading in Africa).
- Sheffield Children's Book Award – Picture Book Category (Gilbert the Great) 2006, Highly Commended
- Norfolk Library and Information Service Children's Book Award – Younger Category (Gilbert the Great) 2006, Bronze Star Winner
- Nottingham Children's Book Award for 3-5's (Stuck in the Mud) 2008
- Plodney Creeper, Supersloth (2001, ISBN 978-0-7497-4585-1)
- Sherman Swaps Shells (2001, ISBN 978-0-431-02408-0)
- Only Tadpoles Have Tails' (2002, ISBN 978-0-09-943870-0)
- Smoky Dragons (2002, ISBN 978-0-8167-7457-9)
- Tusk Trouble (2003, ISBN 978-0-340-87725-8)
- Dino Dog (2004, ISBN 978-0-552-55032-1)
- Gilbert the Great (2005, ISBN 978-1-4027-2169-4)
- The Amazing Adventures of Batbird (2005, ISBN 978-0-00-718637-2)
- Prince Albert's Birthday (2005, ISBN 978-0-19-845579-0)
- I'm Not Wearing That! (2005, ISBN 978-0-19-845554-7)
- Dippy's Sleepover (2006, ISBN 978-0-7641-3425-8)
- Chewy Hughie (2006, ISBN 978-0-00-718692-1)
- No Nits! (2006, ISBN 978-0-7534-1289-3)
- Squeaky Clean (2006, ISBN 978-0-7496-6805-1)
- Mole and the New Hole (2006, ISBN 978-0-00-723600-8)
- Muck it Up! (2006, ISBN 978-0-00-723583-4)
- Trumpet: the Little Elephant with a Big Temper (2006, ISBN 978-1-4169-0482-3)
- Scratching’s Catching! [USA version of No Nits!] (2007, ISBN 978-0-7534-5958-4)
- G.E.M. (2007, ISBN 978-0-09-948012-9)
- Gilbert in Deep (2007, ISBN 978-1-4027-5125-7)
- The Best of Both Nests (2007, ISBN 978-0-8075-0668-4)
- Stuck in the Mud (2008, ISBN 978-0-8027-9758-2)
- Runny Honey (2008, ISBN 978-0-7787-3862-6)
- Knight Time (2008, ISBN 978-1-86230-536-6)
- Eye, Eye Captain! (2008, ISBN 978-1-4048-4906-8)
- Gilbert the Hero (2010, ISBN 978-1-84738-292-4)
- In conjunction with Random House Children's Books (The Battersea Dogs & Cats Home Series):
- Rusty's Story: Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (2010, ISBN 978-1-84941-124-0)
- Misty's Story: Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (2010, ISBN 978-1-84941-180-6)
- Daisy's Story: Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (2010, ISBN 978-1-84941-179-0)
- In conjunction with Working Partners Ltd. (Dinosaur Cove Series):
- Attack of the Lizard King: Dinosaur Cove 1 (as Rex Stone, 2008, ISBN 978-0-19-272092-4)
- March of the Armoured Beasts: Dinosaur Cove 3 (as Rex Stone, 2008, ISBN 978-0-19-272094-8)
- Catching the Speedy Thief: Dinosaur Cove 5 (as Rex Stone, 2008, ISBN 978-0-19-272096-2)
- Rescuing the Plated Lizard: Dinosaur Cove 7 (as Rex Stone, 2008, ISBN 978-0-19-272836-4)
- Tracking the Gigantic Beast: Dinosaur Cove 9 ( as Rex Stone, 2009, ISBN 978-0-19-272894-4)
- Finding the Deceptive Dinosaur: Dinosaur Cove 11 (as Rex Stone, 2009, ISBN 978-0-19-272896-8)
- Journey to the Ice Age: Dinosaur Cove Double Length Edition (as Rex Stone, 2009, ISBN 978-0-19-272927-9)
- Clash of the Monster Crocs: Dinosaur Cove 14 (as Rex Stone, 2010, ISBN 978-0-19-272977-4)
- Rampage of the Hungry Giants: Dinosaur Cove 15 (as Rex Stone, 2010, ISBN 978-0-19-272978-1)
- Battle of the Giants: Dinosaur Cove World Book Day Edition (as Rex Stone, 2010, ISBN 978-0-9562877-3-1)
- Swarm of the Fanged Lizards: Dinosaur Cove 17 (as Rex Stone, 2011, ISBN 978-0-19-278988-4)
- Stalking the Fanned Predator: Dinosaur Cove 19 (as Rex Stone, to be published in 2011)
- In Conjunction with Working Partners Ltd. (Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy Series)
- Toyshop Trouble: Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy 2 (as Hayley Daze, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4093-0328-2)
- Rainforest Hide and Seek: Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy 4 (as Hayley Daze, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4093-0330-5)
- Magic Mayhem: Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy 6 (as Hayley Daze, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4093-0332-9)
- Animal Antics: Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy 8 (as Hayley Daze, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4093-0403-6)
- Star of the School: Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy 10 (as Hayley Daze, 2011 ISBN 978-1-4093-0406-7)
- "Jane Clarke Author". Class Act, Bringing Literacy to Life. Archived from the original on 4 February 2010. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- "CBeebies Bedtime Stories". BBC. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "CBeebies Bedtime Stories". BBC. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Attack of the Lizard King: Dinosaur Cove 1, copyright page". Amazon.co.uk Books. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- "Puddle the naughtiest puppy". Ladybird Books, Ltd. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Books at Random". Random House Group Limited. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Author Profiles – Jane Clarke". The Word Pool. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- "Author Congratulations". Celia Catchpole. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators' Group (British SCWBI)
- Deal Writers
- British Humanist Association
- Wildwood Trust