|Dean of Norwich|
|Diocese||Diocese of Norwich|
|Other post(s)||Canon Steward, Westminster Abbey (2006–2014)|
Archdeacon of Westminster (2006–2009 & 2010–2014)
Sub-Dean of Westminster (2013–2014)
|Born||6 April 1956|
|Alma mater||Durham University|
Early life and education
Hedges was born on 6 April 1956. She was educated at Sarisbury Secondary School. She undertook a general studies degree at the University of Durham, where she was a member of St John's College, Durham, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1978. She trained for ministry at Cranmer Hall, Durham from 1978 to 1980.
Hedges served as curate of the parish of Holy Trinity with St Columba in Fareham, Hampshire, from 1980 to 1983 and was a team vicar in Southampton from 1983 to 1988. In 1988 she became Stewardship Adviser in the Diocese of Portsmouth and in 1993 was appointed Canon Residentiary of Portsmouth Cathedral.
From 2001 she served in the team ministry of Honiton in the Diocese of Exeter, including as rural dean. In 2006 became Canon Steward of Westminster Abbey and Archdeacon of Westminster, and in 2013 she was appointed Sub-Dean of the Abbey.
Hedges's installation as Dean of Norwich was celebrated at a service held at Norwich Cathedral on 21 June 2014. She was the 39th Dean of Norwich and the first female Dean in the cathedral’s 900 year history. In October 2021 she announced her intention to retire, effective 1 May 2022.
On 8 May 2022, it was announced that she had been appointed Canon Residentiary of Canterbury Cathedral; and would serve as Acting Dean of Canterbury from June 2022, following the retirement of Robert Willis.
Hedges is married to Chris Hedges, a teacher, and they have two sons.
- "First female Dean of Norwich appointed". Diocese of Norwich.
- "Hedges, Jane Barbara". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. Vol. 2019 (1 December 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 27 January 2019. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "The Very Revd Jane Barbara HEDGES BA (Hons), Hon PhD". Church of England Year Book. The Archbishops' Council. Retrieved 12 May 2022.
- "XXIV (ns) including supplement". Durham University Gazette. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Jane Barbara Hedges". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 12 May 2022.
- "Hedges, Very Rev. Jane Barbara, (born 6 April 1955), Dean of Norwich, since 2014". Who's Who 2022. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2021. Retrieved 12 May 2022.
- Knights, Emma (20 June 2014). "New Dean of Norwich says Norfolk already feels like home". Eastern Daily Press.
- "Jane Hedges to be Dean of Norwich". Thinking Anglican. 7 February 2014.
- Norwich Cathedral – Dean Jane Hedges installed Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 1 July 2014)
- Stanford, Peter (12 July 2014). "Will Jane Hedges be the C of E's first woman bishop?". Telegraph.
- "The Dean announces her retirement".
- "Canterbury appointment for Dean Jane". Norwich Cathedral. 8 May 2022. Archived from the original on 8 May 2022. Retrieved 12 May 2022.