Jane Kitto (musician)
Kitto performing live at Les Enfants Festival, Nice, France in 2010
|Birth name||Jane Maree Kitto|
|Also known as||Kitto, Jane Kitto Andersson|
|Origin||Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia|
|Genres||Classic rock, Psychedelic Rock, Acoustic Rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, vocalist, record producer, vocal trainer|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Melotron, Percussion|
|Years active||1991 – present|
|Labels||Right Recordings UK, Scarecrow Music Group Sweden, Independent owned Whosjack Music, Mushroom Records Australia|
Jane Kitto is an Australian musician, songwriter and singer who has performed and recorded her own song catalogue under the pseudonym name of Kitto (solo and band). She currently resides in Sweden. Kitto began her music career when signed to Mushroom Records in 1991. Kitto has since travelled throughout over 35 countries performing at festivals in Europe and at remote locations such as Svalbard North Pole, Tahiti, Robben Island and Belarus. She has released several albums and EP compilations, singles, as well as live albums and soundtracks and featured in the Australian edition of 'Who's Who of Rock & Roll' 1993. Alongside her own work, Kitto has recorded, written and performed with various songwriters such as Vanda & Young, Andrew McMillan and Billy Thorpe and featured as a vocalist with Big Brother and the Holding Company, She tours both as a solo performer and also with psychedelic classic rock band Perfect Blue Sky.
Background and career
Childhood and early years
Jane Maree Kitto was raised in the Melbourne suburb of Burwood. She began playing the guitar at the early age of seven, and later participated in the national television variety show Young Talent Time. At the age of 18 she performed in her first paid concert. In early adulthood, she joined the Royal Australian Navy, and later worked as an auto electrical mechanic. She was writing songs in her spare time and her first national airplay was an advertisement jingle 'Stepping out in Style' for Opal Menswear, which caught the attention of a Melbourne booking agent Terry Blamey.
In the late 1980s Kitto was doing session vocals and studio work for Australian bands, The Gypsies, Cattletruck and Chantoozies. Kitto also toured with Billy Miller's Gypsies for more than a year including TV appearances on the popular Australian TV show Hey Hey It's Saturday.
In 1991, she began her career as a solo rock artist when she was signed to Mushroom Records (Australia), along with John Annas, her co-writer and drummer at the time, and together they released a single, "Blind Lead the Blind". She appeared in the Australian edition of Who's Who of Rock & Roll (Moonlight Publishing, 1993). However, Kitto wanted to avoid the female rock stereotype, and that eventually led to a parting of the ways between her and Mushroom Records.
She continued her career as an independent artist, performing at various clubs in Sydney, and also opening up for artists such as Billy Thorpe, Diesel, Ian Moss, Richard Clapton, Jon Stevens, Mark Seymour and Nathan Cavaleri. Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers) spotted her in a solo show in Sydney one evening and invited her to join him in the US to play and co-write songs. She moved to Los Angeles in 1994, and performed in various music clubs, including Whisky a Go Go and The Roxy Theatre, but when her visa expired she returned to Australia.
1995 – 2004
1995 Kitto recorded her first independent EP '20 Jacksonia'. She was then invited to travel to Europe which included an appearance on a Swedish TV show, 'Good Morning Sweden' TV4. Kitto began spending more time around Scandinavia under the guidance of booking agent and later manager Jörgen Wiking who had her performing at various Nordic festivals e.g. Västervik Visfestivalen, Peace and Love, Midtfyn Festival in Denmark, Puistoblues in Finland and The Scandinavian Guitar Festival. She also joined the bill with numerous touring acts such as Joey Tempest(Europe) and Wilson Pickett and also made a guest appearance on Sweden's Triple & Touch TV show. She recorded an EP titled 'Jane Kitto', which received national exposure on SR Swedish Radio.
1997–99 Kitto toured with her live shows mainly in Germany and France with her new band Baby Porcelain along with US co-writer Tim Tate and French drummer Frank Bessard. They performed at Festival De Guitar De Montauroux, Bremen Festival, Sinkkasten Frankfurt, Théâtre de Verdure Nice 10th birthday gala for Guitar Maniac, Festival Haut De Cagnes, Brianconnet Rock, Lé Reservoir Paris, La Haut Festival, Beausoleil Théâtre, Dans l'Festival, M Daner Bonson Festival, Le Mas Puget sur argens as support to Sinclair and RTL2 Radio. Baby Porcelain released the CD 'Umbilically Yours' in 1999.
Kitto's first solo album 'Princess of Tragedy' was launched 2002. The title single 'Busdriver' reached number one on the Sweden's Spray Charts and gained high rotation with Australia's ABC Triple J networks and various other radio stations. 'Busdriver' was co-written and performed with saxophonist Kellie Santin.
2003 Kitto participated in a Swedish TV Gala ABBA the Tribute (Svt), performing alongside Micke Rickfors and Mats Ronander as well as Dionne Warwick. On the show, she sang two Abba's classic songs, 'On and on and On' and 'Summer Night City'. Afterwards she appeared at Nice Jazz Festival supporting Jacque Higgins followed by a series of shows at Longyearbyen, a town based at the North Pole, with Swedish drummer Mårten Ronsten and Weine Johansson (Baltimoore) on bass. Kitto made a journey to Robben Island just off coast South Africa in 2004, the home of former political prisoner Nelson Mandela and performed a song titled 'Toward the sun' which she and co writer Robert Gale had written based on Mandela's book 'Long walk to freedom'. Kitto also performed the song live on Bush Radio in Capetown.
2005 – 2013
The second album 'Precious Junk', was released in 2005. The single track 'Catalina Dreaming' was collaborated alongside Andrew McMillan, the author of the book Catalina Dreaming. 'Precious Junk' featured airplay by Triple J and various radio stations throughout Australia. Later that year she was approached by John Lomax III, who invited her to perform in Nashville US, Tennessee's Australian Festival. She also held a show in New York at CBGB's then flew across to Los Angeles and performed at Cat Club in Hollywood together with Teddy 'Zigzag' Andreadis (Alice Cooper (band), Guns N' Roses).
Kitto recorded another album titled 'Over Sensitive' in Los Angeles with producer Michael Vail Blum alongside session musicians, bassist Johnny Griparic(Slash's Snakepit), guitarist Dean Pleasants(Suicidal Tendencies) and drummer Simon Runge. Several songs were written by Kitto along with her South African songwriter colleague Andrew McDonald, who later became her manager. The album was mixed and mastered later that year back in Sweden by a producer, composer and guitarist for the folk metal band Netherbird, Pontus (Pna) Andersson at his Scarecrow Studios in Sweden. Enterpreneur Asher Hayley from a UK label Green Pepper Junction working together with Right Recordings signed 'Oversensitive' on a license deal and it was released in 2007.
Meeting up with Andersson had long lasting consequences. After 'Oversensitive' was completed, Kitto asked him to accompany her as her guitarist at Maryport Blues Festival in the UK when she was billed alongside headliner Tony Joe White. In the same year, Kitto composed a soundtrack along with author Lauren St John for a film based on St John's book The White Giraffe, called 'Last Place You Look', and the song was recorded under the guidance of Andersson at his studios. Andersson continued performing with Kitto and her then band as her guitarist, and ten years later in 2015 were eventually married.
2006 Kitto toured in Sweden and the UK as front vocalist for Janis Joplin's original band Big Brother and the Holding Company. Jerry Donahue Hellecasters, (Fairport Convention, Fotheringay) was also on the tour as guest guitarist. This also impacted the later collaboration with her band to come, Perfect Blue Sky.
Kitto recorded EP 'Unlearn Your Generation' in 2008, featuring the singles 'Jack the Ripper' and 'Maryrose' which were produced by Chips Kiesbye, guitarist from the Swedish Punk Rock band Sator. Andersson featured on guitar along with bassist Anders Molin and Robban Bäck (Sabaton, Mustasch) on drums. The tracks were co-written with Kitto by both Andrew McDonald and Andrew McMillan.
Kitto headlined in 2009 Le Pacific Rock Festival in Papetee, French Polynesia, Tahiti's first rock festival event along with US guitarist Jeffrey Kollman (Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats), NZ bassist Billy Lang and drummer Joel Taylor. She later that year performed at the Dundee Blues Bonanza festival in Scotland, this time as a drum and guitar duo called The Blue Stripes together with Bill Bryant. Bryant's company Power FX recorded Kitto's vocals on a sample CD Extreme Rock Funk Rage, and in the promotional video Kitto duelled with Sweet Ann, the virtual vocalist. Some of the samples appear in Garageband software by Apple computers.
During the following years Kitto toured and performed across Europe at various music festivals, such as Sweden Rock, Helge Å Festival Sweden, Reiu Rock Estonia, Edinburgh Festival Scotland UK and Les Enfants Du Rock in France as well as her home country Australia.
Kitto's fifth rock Album 'Crash' 2011, was recorded with Kitto's then current band, Pna Andersson on guitar, Jan Johansson on drums and Anders Molin on bass. It was released, engineered and produced under Andersson's personal record label Scarecrow Recordings and rock metal distributors Sound Pollution SE.
2014 – present
In 2014 Kitto and Pna Andersson formed a multinational psychedelic rock band called Perfect Blue Sky. Kitto and Andersson are the founding members of the band and they have invited well-known musicians as guests to feature on both their two current albums and live sets. Perfect Blue Sky's first album 'Emerald' was released 2014. Their premier line up consisted of Dave Getz and Peter Albin (Big Brother and the Holding Company) and Danny Oakhill (Turksize) from Australia. The premier concert was in Stockholm at Stampen, followed by other shows including Puistoblues and Pieksämäki Beach Blues festivals in Finland. She also continued to tour as a solo artist, mainly throughout Scandinavia.
2015 Perfect Blue Sky performed at Darwin's Sea Breeze Festival in Australia, with guest Allen Murphy former drummer for The Village People and Australian Aboriginal band Yothu Yindi and Danny Oakhill on keyboards. This was followed later by another series of shows in Scandinavia, with Weine Johansson on bass and Bil Bryant on drums.
The second album ’The Eye of Tilos’ was released in 2017, featuring once again Dave Getz, Jerry Donahue, Frank Bessard and Danny Oakhill. Perfect Blue Sky completed their first UK live radio tour including BBC Essex  BBC Oxford, BBC Lancashire, BBC Cornwall, Metro Radio, Total Rock Radio and Phoenix FM in May 2017.
Albums, EP's & Singles
- Perfect Blue Sky – The Eye of Tilos (CD 2017)
- Perfect Blue Sky – Emerald (CD 2015)
- Flower Punch - Flower Punch (CD 2012)
- Kitto – Crash (CD 2011)
- Kitto – Unlearn Your Generation (EP 2009)
- Kitto – Chiltern Sessions Unreleased (CD 2007)
- Kitto – Over Sensitive (CD 2007)
- Kitto – Precious Junk (CD 2005)
- Kitto – Catalina Dreaming (Single 2004)
- Kitto – I Wonder Why (Single 2003)
- Kitto – Glorious (Single 2002)
- Kitto – Princess of Tragedy (CD 2002)
- Kitto – Umbilically Yours (CD 2000)
- Kitto – Baby Porcelain (CD 1998)
- Kitto – Jane Kitto Unreleased (EP 1996)
- Kitto – 20 Jacksonia (EP 1995)
- Kitto – Blind Lead The Blind (Single 1991)
- Little Miss Rock N Roll Featuring The Fintones Finnish All Music & Media FAMCD-108 Finland (CD 2011)
- Power FX sample CD 'Extreme Rock Funk Rage' features Kitto vocal samples (CD 2007)
- Rock 'N Fuck CD Feat Kitto 'A Short Story'. Produced by Jerkhouse Connection – France (CD 2006)
- Essential Chillhouse Vol 4 Presents Cool Sound Music COOL07314 Spain (2007)
- Everybody's Story – Brian Kramer (2002)
- W.A.A.M Ben Antell BOX AMERICANA Riverside Records rrcd009 (2000)
- Jukka Tolonen 'Big Time' Feat Kitto on 'Hard Work Jam' and 'You sure know how to fool me' VDFCD-8004 Gazell Records AB Sweden (1997)
- Mushroom Autumn Sampler – PRD91/11 Mushroom Australia (1991)
- Cattle truck ready to believe CD 38720 Mushroom Australia (1987)
- Chantoosies 'He's gonna step on you again' Mushroom Australia (1987)
- "rightrecordings". rightrecordings.
- "Scarecrow Music Group – Recordings". scarecrowgroup.com.
- "Results for 'kitto, jane' > 'CD audio' [WorldCat.org]". worldcat.org.
- Spencer, Chris; McHenry, Paul; Nowara, Zbig (5 October 2017). "Who's who of Australian rock". Noble Park, Vic. : Five Mile Press – via Trove.
- Government, Northern Territory (4 February 2016). "Andrew McMillan". dtc.nt.gov.au.
- "I Janis Joplins fotspår. Musikalisk trivsel med omstartat band. – DN.SE". 9 September 2006.
- "Bio – Kitto". kittorock.com.
- "KITTO". femail.com.au.
- "Kitto – Blind Lead The Blind".
- Kitto Flowerrock 1 (AUS/SWE) (5 April 2008). "Kitto live "JASON" TV 4 Stockholm Sweden" – via YouTube.
- "Kitto". nojestorget.se.
- Kitto, Jane (5 October 2017). "Princess of tragedy". Trove.
- Kitto Flowerrock 1 (AUS/SWE) (9 August 2007). "Kitto – Album Launch Princess of Tragedy 2002" – via YouTube.
- Kitto Flowerrock 1 (AUS/SWE) (12 April 2008). "Kitto Princess of Tragedy Release Party Part 1" – via YouTube.
- Baccara2000 (4 January 2013). "Abba Tribute Finale Dionne Warwick Thank you for the music AllStars" – via YouTube.
- Kitto Flowerrock 1 (AUS/SWE) (9 August 2007). "Kitto – Asylum TV IMelb Australia 2003" – via YouTube.
- Currey, Geoff. "Kitto – Catalina Dreaming". australianmusic.info.
- "Record crowds sing along with Geno and Kitto & Star". newsandstar.co.uk.
- "Lauren St John". laurenstjohn.com.
- "15/08/2007, John Beattie in the Afternoon – BBC Radio Scotland". BBC.
- maho8519 (24 February 2008). "Jane Kitto – Live Swedish national TV" – via YouTube.
- absoluteandrew (5 May 2007). "Kitto – Dreaming of Sleeping – TV4 Nyhetsmorgon 2007" – via YouTube.
- "Kitto (AUS/SWE) besöker Mejeriet i Lund 2 oktober 2008".
- "Around the world to home". 18 July 2008.
- Limited, Alamy. "Stock Photo – The Blue Stripes singer from Australia performing live at Dexter's Pub during the Blues Bonanza 15 2009 Event in Dundee,UK". Alamy.
- PowerFXSystems (21 August 2007). "Sweet Ann VS. Kitto" – via YouTube.
- "Sweden Rock". swedenrock.com.
- 29. http://helgeafestivalen.se/artister-2010/
- ""Reiu Rock" peab soojenduspidusid".
- 31. http://www.yaquoi.com/PETER-DOHERTY-KITTO-KOMA
- "KITTO, Unlearn Your Generation – Lartino.fr". 10 May 2010.
- Hienerwadel, Bernhard (11 November 2011). "Festlig festivalåpning".
- "Blues News – Finnish Blues Magazine". bluesnews.fi.
- Redaksjonen. "Jane Kitto på JP".
- SOLBERG, TRINE. "UngOslo rocker med stjernene".
- d'Azur, Communauté urbaine Nice Côte. "Kitto / Archives / Photos / Galeries / Théâtre de verdure – Theatre de verdure – Nice". tdv-nice.org.
- Holmes, Mark. "Metal Discovery: CD Review". metal-discovery.com.
- "Blues-Finland.com – Savonsolmu Beach & Blues Party 2014, Pieksämäki – Raportti ja kuvat". blues-finland.com.
- "Jazzrytmit – Naisenerginen Solmublues Jane Kitton johdolla". jazzrytmit.com.
- RadioRock. "RadioRock – Asenne on Rock". RadioRock.
- Kitto Flowerrock 2 (3 June 2014). "Kitto Live & Interview with Bettina TV Yle 5" – via YouTube.
- "Jane Kitto i Gomorron". 7 August 2015.
- RadioRock. "RadioRock – Asenne on Rock". RadioRock.
- "In session: Perfect Blue Sky, Tony Fisher – BBC Essex". BBC.
- "Perfect Blue Sky, half term events & Bill Beverly, Nick Piercey – BBC Radio Oxford". BBC.
- "24/05/2017, David White – BBC Radio Cornwall". BBC.
- "Perfect Blue Sky – Live Music & Interview – Phoenix FM". 31 May 2017.
- "From the North Pole to the Top End".
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Onko iltasi vielä vapaa? Australialainen rokkimimmi tulee keikalle Espooseen – video".
- "Blues News". bluesnews.fi.
- "PowerFX – Extreme Rock Funk Rage". powerfx.com.
- "Discography/Buy :: Brian Kramer Blues". kramerblues.com.
- "W.A.A.M. Records". antell.com.
- "Jukka TOLONEN: ON THE ROCKY ROAD - A RETROSPECTIVE (Love Records 2CD) - release recording details / finnmusic.net". finnmusic.net.