Pioneer Village station
|Operator(s)||Toronto Transit Commission|
|Line length||16.5 kilometres (10.3 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
The Jane LRT is a revived and formerly cancelled proposed light rail line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was revived after being cancelled for three years by the 2013 "Feeling Congested?" report by the City of Toronto, as a "Future Transit Project".
It was part of the Transit City proposal announced March 16, 2007, to be operated by the Toronto Transit Commission. It was expected to cost approximately $630 million, with construction to begin in 2013 and opening in 2017. It was planned as the sixth of the seven Transit City lines to be completed in the plan.
The Jane LRT was cancelled by Rob Ford on December 1, 2010 when he announced the cancellation of Transit City. While LRT lines on Sheppard East, Finch West, and Eglinton were revived through a new agreement between the City of Toronto and Metrolinx, the Jane LRT was not included at the time.
The Jane LRT is still included in Metrolinx's proposed regional transportation plan. In February 2016, City of Toronto planners and the TTC also recommended implementing the Jane LRT within 15 years. In January 2018, the Jane LRT was tentatively listed as "Line 8" in the TTC's 2018-2022 Corporate Plan.
According to initial Toronto Transit Commission planning, the Jane LRT line would have run for 16.5 km between Jane station on Line 2 Bloor–Danforth, and Pioneer Village station on Line 1 Yonge–University. Ridership was estimated to be 24 million trips in 2021.
- Bloor Street West at Jane station (connection to Line 2 Bloor–Danforth)
- Ardagh Street (surface LRT option only)
- Annette Street
- St. John's Road (surface LRT option only)
- St. Clair Avenue West (connection to future 512 St. Clair streetcar extension)
- Woolner Avenue (potential stop, surface LRT option only)
- Outlook Avenue
- Eglinton Avenue West
- Weston Road
- Trethewey Drive (surface LRT option only)
- Lawrence Avenue West
- John Street (potential stop, surface LRT option only)
- Maple Leaf Drive
- Falstaff Avenue (surface LRT option only)
- Wilson Avenue
- Heathrow Drive
- Exbury Road
- Giltspur Drive
- Sheppard Avenue West
- Rita Drive
- Grandravine Drive
- Yorkwoods Gate
- Yewtree Boulevard (potential stop)
- Finch Avenue West (connection to future Line 6 Finch West)
- York Gate Boulevard
- Driftwood Avenue
- Shoreham Drive
- Steeles Avenue West
- Murray Ross Parkway
- York University at Pioneer Village station (connection to Line 1 Yonge–University)
- Hain, Michael (December 4, 2013). "Update on the Feeling Congested Initiative, Planning and Growth Management Committee" (PDF). City of Toronto.
- Carter, Tristan (25 February 2011). "Jane LRT goes off the rails". Town Crier. Streeter Publications.
- D'Cruz, Andrew (1 December 2010). "Mayor Rob Ford: "Transit City is over"". Toronto Life.[dead link]
- Kalinowski, Tess (28 November 2012). "TTC, Metrolinx finally sign off on LRTs". Toronto Star. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Kalinowski, Tess (16 February 2016). "Planners want public's input on 'motherlode' of GTA transit". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "2018–2022 TTC Corporate Plan" (PDF). TTC.ca. Toronto Transit Commission. pp. 61–62. Retrieved January 29, 2018.