Jane MacLaren Walsh
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Jane MacLaren Walsh|
|Known for||pre-Columbian artifact curating
|Institutions||National Museum of Natural History|
Jane MacLaren Walsh is an anthropologist and researcher at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. She is known for her role in exposing faked pre-Columbian artifacts. Notable cases she has investigated include crystal skulls alleged to have been of ancient Mesoamerican (usually Maya) origins, and a piece held by the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection purported to be an authentic pre-Columbian representation of an Aztec and central Mexican goddess, Tlazolteotl.
- Walsh (2008a; 2008b)
- See Walsh's retelling of the incident in an article published in Archaeology magazine (Walsh 2008a).
- Walsh, Jane MacLaren (1997). "Crystal skulls and other problems: or, "don't look it in the eye"". In Amy Henderson and Adrienne L. Kaeppler (eds.). Exhibiting Dilemmas: Issues of Representation at the Smithsonian. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. ISBN 1-56098-690-5. OCLC 34598037.
- Walsh, Jane MacLaren (Spring 2005). "What is Real? A New Look at PreColumbian Mesoamerican Collections" (PDF online publication). AnthroNotes: Museum of Natural History Publication for Educators. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution and the National Museum of Natural History Anthropology Outreach Office. 26 (1): 1–7, 17–19. ISSN 1548-6680. OCLC 8029636.
- Walsh, Jane MacLaren (2008a). "Legend of the Crystal Skulls" (online edition). Archaeology. New York: Archaeological Institute of America. 61 (3): 36–41. ISSN 0003-8113. OCLC 1481828. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
the Tlazolteotl idol, like the crystal skulls, is a nineteenth-century fake.
- Walsh, Jane MacLaren (2008b). "La Tlazolteotl de Dumbarton Oaks: un regard sous la surface" [=The Dumbarton Oaks Tlazolteotl: looking beneath the surface] (English abstract). Journal de la Société des Américanistes (in French). Paris: Société des Américanistes. 94 (1): 7–43. Retrieved 2009-07-20.