||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Jane Monheit in Koerner Hall
November 3, 1977 |
Oakdale, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Vocal jazz, Pop Standards, Brazilian|
Jane Monheit (born November 3, 1977) is an American jazz and pop vocalist. She has collaborated with artists such as John Pizzarelli, Michael Bublé, Ivan Lins, Terence Blanchard and Tom Harrell, and has received Grammy nominations for two of her recordings.
Monheit was raised in Oakdale, New York, on Long Island. She began singing professionally while attending Connetquot High School in Bohemia, New York, from where she graduated in 1995. As a child, Monheit spent her summers as a student at the Usdan Center For the Creative and Performing Arts, and is a recipient of their distinguished alumna award. At the Manhattan School of Music she studied voice under Peter Eldridge. She graduated with honors from the Manhattan School of Music in 1999, earning a BA in music and receiving the William H. Borden Award for outstanding accomplishment in jazz. She was runner-up to Teri Thornton in the 1998 vocal competition at the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.
Monheit has released nine albums and two DVDs, and has appeared as a guest artist on many others. She appears on the soundtrack of the movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow singing "Over the Rainbow". Monheit has also been a featured performer in the nationally televised Christmas at the White House, the Capitol Fourth of July Celebration, and The National Memorial Day Celebration. She has appeared on numerous television shows including Emeril, Ramsey Lewis' Legends of Jazz, Letterman, The View, and The Today Show. Monheit spends most of the year on tour with her band, which currently includes Michael Kanan on piano, Neal Miner on bass, and Rick Montalbano on drums. She also performs with the major symphonic orchestras throughout the country.
In 2015, Monheit joined the judging panel for The 14th Annual Independent Music Awards and in doing so, helped to assist the careers of upcoming independent artists.
- 2003 - Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s); "Since You've Asked"
- 2005 - Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s); "Dancing in the Dark"
|2000||Never Never Land||N-Coded|
|2001||Come Dream with Me||N-Coded|
|2002||In the Sun||N-Coded|
|2003||Live at the Rainbow Room||N-Coded|
|2004||Taking a Chance on Love||Sony|
|2005||The Very Best of Jane Monheit||Warlock/N-Coded|
|2009||The Lovers, the Dreamers and Me||Concord|
|2013||The Heart of the Matter||Decca/EmArcy|
|2016||The Songbook Sessions: Ella Fitzgerald||Audio & Video Labs|
- Let's Get Lost – Terence Blanchard (Sony, 2001)
- Session #55 – Les Brown & His Band of Renown (Jake, 2001)
- Standard Time – Steve Tyrell (Sony, 2001)
- Brazilian Nights – Jason Miles (Turn Up the Music, 2002)
- Wise Children – Tom Harrell (Bluebird RCA, 2003)
- In Full Swing – Mark O'Connor (Odyssey/Sony Classical, 2003)
- Two Hands Ten Voices – Fred Hersch (Broadway Cares, 2003)
- Enter the Mowo – Adam Dorn (2004)
- 331⁄3 – The Frank & Joe Show (Frank Vignola and Joe Ascione) (Hyena, 2004)
- 662⁄3 – The Frank & Joe Show (Hyena, 2005)
- Legends of Jazz Showcase with Ramsey Lewis (LRS, 2006)
- New Music from an Old Friend – Various artists (One Eighty, 2007)
- Friends and Family – Ray Brown, Jr. (SRI, 2008)
- Radio Show – Tony DeSare (Telarc, 2009)
- Come Spread Christmas with Me with Sara Gazarek (Palmetto, 2012)
- 2 in Love – with David Benoit (Concord, 2015)
- Believe – with David Benoit (Concord, 2015)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jane Monheit|
- Jane Monheit's Official Site
- Jane Monheit's Myspace
- Jane Monheit's YouTube Channel
- Jane Monheit at the Internet Movie Database
- Jane Monheit: articles, reviews and interviews
- Jane Monheit photo gallery at LiveDaily
- Live performance photos — Jazz Alley 2001
- Jane Monheit — on Allmusic
- Google Music: Jane Monheit
- Jane Monheit biography, CD and concert reviews by cosmopolis.ch