Jane Silber, 2010
|Occupation||Board member, Canonical Ltd.|
|Known for||CEO, Canonical Ltd, 2010–2017|
Jane Silber is a board member of Canonical Ltd. and was its Chief Executive Officer from 2010 to 2017. Silber is also the chair of the board of The Sensible Code Company, whose products include QuickCode.
Silber joined Canonical in July 2004, where her work has included leading the Ubuntu One project and ensuring that large organizations find Ubuntu "enterprise-ready". She partially attributes the increasing attention to user research and design in open source since 2009 to Canonical's leadership in this area. Silber announced her transition out of the CEO role in April 2017, with Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth resuming the position from July 2017.
Silber's earlier roles include Vice President of Interactive Television Company and Vice President of General Dynamics C4 Systems. She has also worked in Japan for Teijin Ltd conducting artificial intelligence research and product development, and in the US at General Health, a health risk assessment firm.
She holds an MBA degree from Oxford University's Saïd Business School, an MSc degree in Management of Technology from Vanderbilt University, where she concentrated on machine learning and artificial intelligence work, and a BSc degree in Mathematics and Computer Science from Haverford College.
- Carr, Gerry (17 December 2009). "Management changes at Canonical". Canonical Blog. Canonical Ltd. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Silber, Jane (12 April 2017). "A new vantage point". Ubuntu Insights. Canonical Ltd. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Ubuntu CEO Joins Board of 'data hub' Startup ScraperWiki". PRWeb. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "The Sensible Code Company". The Sensible Code Company. Retrieved 8 Oct 2017.
- Lai, Eric (25 April 2006). "Q&A: Canonical's Jane Silber says upcoming Ubuntu Linux to be enterprise-ready". Computerworld. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- MacDonald, Rory (24 April 2012). "Ubuntu 12.04 – Jane Silber talks Unity, community and 'continuous computing'". Linux User & Developer. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Greene, Erica (21 January 2010). "Haverford Conversation: Jane Silber '85". Haverford News. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "What we do: Management team". Canonical Ltd. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
|This article about a chief executive from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|