Jane Street Capital
|Founded||August 31, 1999|
|Products||High-frequency trading, Market maker|
Number of employees
Jane Street was co-founded by Tim Reynolds and three others. Jane Street's website says the firm was founded in 2000. However, Reynolds reports it to have been founded in 1999, although the date varies between sources.
Jane Street is, as of 2014[update], one of only a few hundred businesses (across all sectors) that use the OCaml programming language. It adopted OCaml as its main programming language early on because the language's functional programming style and clear expressiveness made it possible for code reviews to be performed by traders who were not programmers, to verify that high-performance code would do what it was intended to do. Jane Street has stated that "OCaml helps us to quickly adapt to changing market conditions, and go from prototypes to production systems with less effort". Furthermore, OCaml's "rigor is like catnip to some people,... giving Jane Street an unusual advantage in the tight hiring market for programmers" that allows Jane Street to "lure a steady supply of high-quality candidates".
In July 2020, S&P Global Ratings affirms Jane Street on capital growth. The rating agency noted that Jane Street is a "highly profitable trading business," that "the company has generated very strong earnings so far in 2020 and that its trading has benefited from the market volatility related to the COVID-19 pandemic."
- Patterson, Scott; Rogow, Geoffrey (August 1, 2009). "What's Behind High-Frequency Trading". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Our Story". Jane Street Capital. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "What We Do :: Jane Street". www.janestreet.com. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "Jane Street's Reynolds Turns to Art With Trading Fortune". 14 June 2019 – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "Jane Street Capital, LLC: Private Company Information". www.bloomberg.com.
- "Companies using OCaml". OCaml.org. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- James Somers (April 2, 2015). "Toolkits for the Mind". MIT Technology Review.
- "Open Source @ Jane Street". Jane Street Capital. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "S&P affirms Jane Street Group on capital growth". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-09-01.