Jane Ussher MNZM (born 1953) is a New Zealand photographer, best known for her portrait photography work. Ussher studied photography at Wellington Polytechnic between 1975-1976. She joined the New Zealand Listener in 1977 and was chief photographer for 29 years, leaving to take up a career as a freelance photographer. Ussher is notable for her documentary and portraiture work.
Exhibitions and publications
Ussher gained acclaim for her 1984 exhibition of New Zealand sporting personalities, The Olympians.
Many of Ussher's portraits were collated and published in the book Jane Ussher Portraits, launched in 2004 to coincide with the Listener's 65th anniversary. The book includes many portraits originally published in the Listener of notable New Zealanders, ranging from sport stars such as Jonah Lomu to actors such as Russell Crowe.
Ussher was invited to go to Antarctica with the Antarctic New Zealand 2008/09 Media Programme, where she photographed the historical huts in Antarctica which served as expedition bases for Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton's pioneering expeditions. A series of photographs from this trip were published in the book Still Life: Inside the Antarctic Huts of Scott and Shackleton. The book was launched by New Zealand Prime Minister John Key in October 2010.
Ussher won the Best Portrait award at the 2006 Qantas Media Awards.
In 2009 Ussher received insignia of a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to photography. She has been inducted into the Massey University hall of fame, and her book 'Coast a New Zealand Journey' won the illustrated non-fiction prize at the 2014 NZ post book awards. 
- "College of Creative Arts, Massey University Wellington - Jane Ussher". creative.massey.ac.nz. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Jane Ussher". Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- Stacey, G. "Kiwi Olympians", Art New Zealand 31, (Summer 1984-85). retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Win the book Jane Ussher Portraits". Television New Zealand. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Still Life". Murdochbooks.com.au. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Still Life, Jane Ussher - Shop Online for Books in NZ". Fishpond.co.nz. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Beattie's Book Blog - unofficial homepage of the New Zealand book community". Beattiesbookblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Hepburn, Graham (2016-06-24). "Discovering the art of sleek design". NZ Herald. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- Orsman, Bernard (24 November 2005). "Leading photographer injured when hit by car". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Jane Ussher". Gg.govt.nz. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "College of Creative Arts, Massey University Wellington - Jane Ussher". Creative.massey.ac.nz. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Wellington.scoop.co.nz » Jill Trevelyan's story of Peter McLeavey wins book of the year award". Wellington.scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 25 May 2016.