March 30, 1998
Janella Maxine Desiderio Salvador (born March 30, 1998) is a Filipino actress and singer. She made her breakthrough debut role in Be Careful With My Heart (2012–14) and has since starred in Oh My G! (2015), Haunted Mansion (2015), and Born for You (2016).
For her work, Salvador has lent her singing voice to Disney and won Philippines Most Promising Female Star at GMMSF, a FAMAS Award, three PMPC Awards (one for Best New Artist, two for acting) and holds three singles in OPM Top 10.
Salvador was born in Manila, Philippines. She is the daughter of Filipina stage singer Jenine Desiderio, who played Kim in the West End musical Miss Saigon and Juan Miguel Salvador, the lead singer of 80s band, The Authority. He is known for songs such as O Kay Sarap Ng Pag-ibig and as songwriter for Awit Award Best Folk-Pop Recording, Sumasarap Ang Gising by True Faith. Like her parents, she has interest in performing arts and started singing at a young age. She belongs to the famous Salvador showbiz clan (great granddaughter of Pedro Salvador, brother of basketball player Lou Salvador; relative of actors Phillip Salvador, Maja Salvador, Ross Rival). Her parents separated in 2002. She attended schooling at St. Paul College, Pasig.
Salvador was first scouted after guesting on Eat Bulaga's Sa Pula, Sa Puti. Management directors Manny Valera and Johnny Manahan signed her a contract as their talent, semi-managed by Star Magic. She since appeared in a few stage plays, and represented the country in a world trade fair in Seoul, Korea in 2008.
Salvador made her breakthrough debut role at age fourteen in the teleserye Be Careful With My Heart (2012–2014) starring Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap. She originally auditioned, honing the role of middle daughter Nikki Grace Lim. Her character became known for her Taglish catchphrases. Be Careful With My Heart became one of the most successful dramas of ABS-CBN and later aired in regions of Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and South America with albums and concerts tours worldwide. Salvador bagged endorsement deals as the face of Palmolive hair care and Olay and awards such as 27th PMPC Star Awards for Television for Best New Female Personality and the FAMAS Award for German Moreno Youth Achievement Award. On March 8, 2013, she was launched as a part of Star Magic Circle 2013.
In July 2014, the actress signed a multi-picture deal contract with Regal Entertainment and Star Cinema. The last episode of Be Careful With My Heart aired November 28, 2014. The same month, Salvador was nominated Best Appearance in a Music Video after playing the love interest in Enchong Dee's Chinito Problems which was released November 7, 2014 on Myx.
By January 2015, Janella was cast in her first main lead role in ABS-CBN's Oh My G! as Sophie, an orphan teenager who blames God for the loss of her loved ones, until G ("God", various actors) appears to her in different forms to enlighten the latter on the obstacles she is facing. She subsequently starred in her film debut Haunted Mansion (2015), which was chosen to be a part of the Metro Manila Film Festival, and became a top grosser in the festival's box office. For her performance in the film, Salvador won the 32nd PMPC Star Awards for Movies – New Movie Actress of the Year.
She was then cast in the 2016 musical drama Born For You. In December 2016, Salvador reunited with Richard Yap in Mano Po 7: Tsinoy, the seventh installment in the Mano Po series. On January 1, 2017, Salvador was chosen as the muse for BoyBandPH's single "Unli" (first release after winning Pinoy Boyband Superstar), where she appeared in their music video. She appeared in Topel Lee's suspense thriller Bloody Crayons released nationwide on July 12, 2017. On September 12, 2017, Salvador renewed her Regal Entertainment contract with a four-picture deal under their studio.
She top bills as a singing mermaid in My Fairy Tail Love Story, to be released on February 14, 2018. She is also set to lead alongside Jameson Blake in a film directed by Gawad Urian-winning director Jason Paul Laxamana.
While promoting various dramas on talk shows, she became known for her riffs and "indie-rock edge" vocals. She officially began her music career through Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs, the highest-honor OPM songwriting and music video competition in the Philippines. Her song, "Mahal Kita Pero" won 3rd place.
The singer teased her debut album in April 2015, and on July 1, 2015, Star Music announced Salvador as their recording artist. She then released her self-titled album in December nationwide and through Spotify and iTunes, containing nine tracks–"Ganyan Talaga", "Mahal Kita Pero" and renditions of Sharon Cuneta's "Dear Heart", Donna Cruz' "I Can", "Kapag Tumibok ang Puso". The album peaked at #1, reaching platinum status by PARI with over 15,000 physical copies sold. Hong Kong Disneyland had chosen her to sing their decade anniversary English jingle titled "Happily Ever After" which was added to her album's limited edition.
In January 2016, Salvador and co-star Marlo Mortel were chosen as interpreters of "Mananatili," one of the finalists for 2016 Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs, composed by Francis Louis Salazar. She participated in Born for You's soundtrack, featuring Salvador's versions of Yeng Constantino's Ikaw and Pangarap Lang in Japanese, 夢ダカダ (Yume daka da) and アナタ (Anata), which topped iTunes Philippines. She sang with co-star Elmo Magalona in his album Elmo for the track, "Alam Mo Ba".
Following her Disney in Concert–Tale As Old As Time performance at Kia Theatre, Cubao Salvador was picked to sing the theme song of Moana for the Philippine release on November 20, 2016. A multi-language mash-up including Salvador was released by Walt Disney Studios, featuring singers from Southeast Asian countries, a version of the song in their respective native language. Shortly thereafter, a 24-languages video was released on Disney's Vevo channel. Her version of "How Far I'll Go" currently holds 30 million views, the highest viewership amongst all the Asian remakes on YouTube.
In May 2017, she held her first concert, Super Janella, with a setlist of her songs such as "Dear Heart" and "Harana". Salvador participated as a finalist for the 2017 Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs. Her interpretation of the Karlo Zabala-penned song "Wow Na Feelings" won 4th Best Song and TFC's Global Choice Award.
|2015||Haunted Mansion||Ella Jimenez||Regal Films|
|2016||Mano Po 7: Tsinoy||Caroline Wong|
|2017||Bloody Crayons||Eunice Nicolas||Star Cinema|
|2018||My Fairy Tail Love Story||Chantel||Regal Films|
|So Connected||Trisha Biscocho|
|2012–2014||Be Careful With My Heart||Nikki Grace Lim|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Card||Felynit "Neneng" Gallego|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Selfie||Michelle Ann Rose "Mitch" Bonzo|
|Home Sweetie Home||Teen Darla Sanchez|
|2015||Oh My G!||Sophie Z. Cepeda|
|Wansapanataym: Fat Patty||Patricia "Patty" Dionisio/Fatima|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Pink Dress||Amabelle Marquez|
|Wansapanataym: Christmas Witch||Irene|
|2016||FPJ's Ang Probinsyano||Denise Paulino|
|Born for You||Samantha "Sam" Reyes/Kazuko|
|Wansapanataym: Holly & Mau||Holly Arellano|
|2017–2018||Wansapanataym: Jasmin's Flower Powers||Rose Miraflores/Jasmin|
|2018||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Mangga||Daisy|
|2015||Chinito Problems||Enchong Dee||Herself|
|Denotes filmography that have not yet been released.|
- Janella Salvador (2015)
|Year||Nominated Work||Award-giving Body/Recognition||Result||Ref|
|2013||Herself||61st FAMAS Awards German Moreno Youth Achievement Award||Won|||
|Be Careful With My Heart||27th PMPC Star Awards for Television Best New Female TV Personality||Won|||
|ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards Pop Breakthrough Star||Won|||
|2014||Candy Readers' Choice Awards Female Rising Star||Won|||
|45th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards Most Promising Female Star||Won|||
|45th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards Most Promising Loveteam for Television (with Jerome Ponce)||Won|
|Yahoo! Celebrity Awards Female Emerging Star||Nominated|
|10th ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards Pop Female Cutie||Nominated|
|10th ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards Pop Teen Popsies (with Marlo Mortel)||Nominated|
|Mahal Kita Pero||Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 3rd Best Song||Won|||
|Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs Myx Best Music Video||Won|
|2015||Herself||17th Gawad PASADO Awards PinakaPASADOng Dangal ng Kabataan||Won|||
|Alta Media Icon Awards - Best Female Recording Artist||Won|||
|MOR Pinoy Music Awards Best New Artist||Nominated|
|Chinito Problems||Myx Music Awards Best Appearance in a Music Video||Nominated|
|2016||Haunted Mansion||32nd PMPC Star Awards for Movies - New Movie Actress of the Year||Won|||
|Herself||8th PMPC Star Awards for Music - Best New Female Recording Artist of the Year||Won|||
|2017||Wow Na Feelings||Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 4th Best Song||Won|||
|Himig Handog TFC's Global Choice Award||Won|||
- "Janella Salvador Biography".
- "Jenine Desiderio on 'Saigon' and style". Inquirer. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- "Janella Salvador opens up about her father". PUSH. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- O Kay Sarap Ng Pag-ibig (Juan Miguel Salvador) - Get Back In Love LP, 2012-11-13, retrieved 2017-08-11
- Ikaw At Ako (Juan Miguel Salvador) - Get Back In Love LP, 2012-11-13, retrieved 2017-08-11
- Bearicus22 (2006-05-07), True Faith- Sumasarap ang Gising, retrieved 2017-10-20
- "Janella Salvador Biography". Philippine News. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- "Lou Salvador, Sr". geni_family_tree. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- Google, retrieved 2017-08-11
- "Meet Star Magic Circle 2013". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- "Be Careful With My Heart star Janella Salvador wants to play a lead role in MMK in the future". Philippine Entertainment Portal. July 9, 2012.
- "Janella Salvador's Career Timeline In GIFs". Candymag.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Be Careful With My Heart pilot wins timeslot
- ABS-CBNnews.com, By Miguel Dumaual,. "'Be Careful With My Heart' marks milestone rating". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Admin. "Why ABS-CBN's 'Be Careful With My Heart' is a BIG HIT?". The Summit Express. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Olay Ph (2016-06-29), Get Pinkish Fair Skin with Natural White | Olay, retrieved 2017-08-08
- erickson-balala. "German Moreno Youth Achievement Awards (Janella & Xian)".
- "IN PHOTOS: Star Magic 2013". Rappler. March 8, 2013.
- "Meet the 12 new faces of Star Magic". ABS-CBN News. March 8, 2013.
- "Regal stardom for Janella". Tempo Entertainment. July 19, 2014. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015.
- "Star Cinema to produce films for Janella". Philippine News. July 9, 2014.
- "'Be Careful With My Heart' airs its final episode". Kicker Daily News. November 28, 2014.
- ABS-CBN Starmusic (2014-11-07), ENCHONG DEE - Chinito Problems (Official Music Video), retrieved 2017-08-12
- "Enchong Dee and Janella Salvador 'Chinito Problems' Video". www.showbiznest.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "'Ultimate test of faith' in Oh My G finale". Philippine Star. July 24, 2015.
- "A modern tale on faith in the life of the Filipino teenager - The Manila Times Online". www.manilatimes.net. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "WATCH: Janella stars in horror film 'Haunted Mansion'". ABS-CBN News. December 2, 2015.
- "Janella Salvador not competing with other love teams in MMFF 2015". Philippine Star. December 10, 2015.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn. "Beauty and the Bestie is No. 1; MMFF 2015 Top Four revealed".
- Admin. "FULL LIST: Winners, 32nd PMPC Star Awards for Movies 2016". The Summit Express. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Elmo Magalona moves to ABS-CBN, pairs with Janella Salvador in new show". Rappler. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- Bulletin, The Manila. "New 'Mano Po' movie centers on relationship issues". mb.com.ph. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- PH, One Music. "Boyband PH Drops New Music Video, Makes All Girls Wish They Were Janella Salvador". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- ABS-CBN Star Cinema (2017-06-16), Teaser Trailer | 'Bloody Crayons', retrieved 2017-08-08
- "The 'jewel' that is Janella Salvador - The Manila Times Online". www.manilatimes.net. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Abanilla, Clarizel. "Trailer released for 'My Fairy Tail Love Story'". Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Showbiz, ABS-CBN News. "Janella Salvador renews 3 years movie contract with Regal Films via @mariovdumaualpic.twitter.com/gaggB7Z91C". @ABSCBN_Showbiz. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- Asilo, Rito P. "Janella Salvador puts her prodigious performing genes to good use". Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- "Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 2014 Top 15 Finalists". Manillenials. 2014-09-06. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "MYXclusive: JANELLA SALVADOR Teases About Her Upcoming Debut Album!". MYX Features. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- "Janella to release her debut album under Star Music". Star Cinema News. July 1, 2015. Archived from the original on July 6, 2015.
- ""Oh My G" star Janella Salvador to launch her self-titled debut album". Philippine News. July 2, 2015.
- News, ABS-CBN. "Janella Salvador launches debut album". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- "Janella Salvador launches first album". Kicker Daily News. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Inquirer, Philippine Daily. "Janella Salvador, No. 1 overall".
- News, ABS-CBN. "Janella sings HK Disneyland's anniversary theme song".
- "Janella Salvador launches first album". Kicker Daily News. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- ABS-CBN Starmusic (2016-04-01), Marlo Mortel and Janella Salvador - Mananatili (Official Music Video), retrieved 2017-08-08
- "ElNella's Born for You album zooms to #1 on iTunes Philippines".
- RC Channel (2016-08-13), Ikaw (ANATA) Japanese Version FULL - Janella Salvador, retrieved 2017-11-08
- "Google". google.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Hawson, Fred. "Review: Janella shines in 'Disney in Concert'".
- News, ABS-CBN. "WATCH: Janella sings 'Moana' theme".
- PH, One Music. "Janella Salvador to sing the theme song of Disney's Moana for its Philippine release". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- News, ABS-CBN. "Janella tapped to sing 'Moana' theme for PH release".
- DisneyMusicVEVO (2016-12-15), Various Artists - How Far I'll Go - Heard Around the World (24 Languages) (From "Moana"), retrieved 2017-01-11
- "Disney's Moana - "How Far I'll Go" music video - Janella Salvador".
- PH, One Music. "SET LIST: "Super Janella" Digital Concert". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- ABS-CBN Starmusic (2017-10-06), Janella Salvador - Wow Na Feelings (Official Lyric Video), retrieved 2017-10-14
- Navalta, Daniel Joseph. "Janella Salvador falls victim to phishing scam, loses P110K in her Metrobank debit account". Kami.com.ph - Philippines news. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- "WINNERS: 61st FAMAS Awards". Rappler. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- 25, Ed Umbao on November; 2013 (2013-11-25). "PMPC Star Awards for TV 2013 List of Winners". Philippine News. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Sarah Geronimo big winner at the "ASAP POP Viewers' Choice Awards 2013"". www.pinoyflix.lol. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "The Candy Readers' Choice Awards 2014: Winners List". Candymag.com. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Admin. "Complete List of Winners: 45th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards 2014". The Summit Express. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 2014 Top 15 Finalists". Manillenials. 2014-09-06. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Reyes, William. "17th Gawad PASADO winners revealed; Lotlot de Leon accepts double Best Actress award of Nora Aunor". Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "1st ALTA Media Icon awards". Manila Standard. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Bravo, Cinema (2016-03-06). "WINNERS: 2016 PMPC Star Awards for Movies". CINEMA BRAVO. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "LIST: Winners, PMPC Star Awards 2016 – music". Rappler. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Corp., ABS-CBN. "5th to 2nd Best Songs of Himig Handog 2017". ABS-CBNENT. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
- PH, One Music. "LIST: Himig Handog 2017 winners". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Janella Salvador.|