Beecher in 1916
October 21, 1884
Jefferson City, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||August 6, 1955
Washington, Connecticut, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Harry R. Guggenheimer (?-1919) (divorced)
Richard H. Hoffman (?-1935) (divorced)
|Children||1 (a son, with Hoffman)|
Janet Beecher (October 21, 1884 – August 6, 1955), born Janet Meysenburg, was an American stage and screen actress. She was a supporting player and lead on the Broadway stage between the 1900s and 1940s. Between 1915 and 1943, she appeared in about motion pictures. She remains perhaps best-remembered as a character actress during Hollywood's golden age, often seen in roles as "firm but compassionate matriarchs". She was known for her roles as Ginger Rogers' mother in The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939), Tyrone Power's mother in the adventure film The Mark of Zorro (1940), and Henry Fonda's mother in Preston Sturges' screwball comedy The Lady Eve (1941). She retired from film business in 1943, but managed to play a role in the television series Lux Video Theatre in 1952.
- Gallant Lady (1933)
- The Last Gentleman (1934)
- The Mighty Barnum (1934)
- Let's Live Tonight (1935)
- The Dark Angel (1935)
- So Red the Rose (1935)
- The Good Old Soak (1937)
- Rosalie (1937)
- Beg, Borrow or Steal (1937)
- Judge Hardy's Children (1938)
- Slightly Honorable (1939)
- The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)
- Career (1939)
- All This, and Heaven Too (1940)
- The Lady Eve (1941)
- The Man Who Lost Himself (1941)
- Hi, Neighbor (1942)
- Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
- Silver Queen (1942)
- Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1942)
- Henry Aldrich Gets Glamour (1943, uncredited)
- Lux Video Theatre (1952; TV series, 1 episode)
- Janet Beecher profile, Allmovie.com; accessed April 28, 2017.
- Obituary Billboard magazine, August 20, 1955; mentions surviving family, her sister Olive Wyndham and son Richard
- Who Was Who in the Theatre 1912-1976; originally published annually by John Parker, 1976 editions by Gale Research
- Silent Film Necrology 2nd edit. by Eugene M. Vazanno c. 2001
- Janet Beecher profile, alexanderstreet.com; accessed April 28, 2017.