|Janet H. Darbyshire
|Alma mater||London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, MSc|
|Occupation||Epidemiologist and science administrator|
|Employer||Medical Research Council, MRC Clinical Trials Unit|
|Awards||Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences, the Royal College of Physicians, and the Society for Clinical Trials|
Darbyshire joined the Medical Research Council (MRC) in 1974, first co-ordinating clinical trials and epidemiological studies of tuberculosis, asthma and other respiratory diseases in the UK and East Africa for the MRC Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases Unit. She became the head of the MRC HIV Clinical Trials Centre when it was founded in 1989, designing and co-ordinating multi-centre trials of therapeutics for people with HIV, as well as vaccines and microbicides to prevent infection.
In 1998, she became head of the new MRC Clinical Trials Unit, established as a centre of excellence for clinical trials, meta-analyses and epidemiological studies in HIV, cancer and other diseases. She is also co-director of the UK Clinical Research Network (UKCRN). As of 2013, she is on the board of the Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine and the Society for Clinical Trials.
Awards and honours
Darbyshire is a fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences, the Royal College of Physicians and the Society for Clinical Trials. Already an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), she was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2010 New Year Honours for "services to Clinical Science".
- "Janet Darbyshire". Institutional Research Information Service. UCL. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- MRC CTU: History (accessed 6 January 2009)
- UKCRN: Professor Janet Darbyshire (accessed 6 January 2009)
- The Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine: Organisation (accessed 7 January 2013)
- "Board of Directors". Society for Clinical Trials (SCT). Archived from the original on 2013-11-04. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Academy of Medical Sciences: Fellows: Professor Janet Darbyshire (accessed 7 January 2013)
- Society for Clinical Trials: SCT Fellow Profile: Janet Darbyshire (accessed 7 January 2013)
- "No. 59282". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2009. p. 7.