In 2007, a major archaeology publication, Vastly Ingenious was published in her honour. Titled, Vastly Ingenious:The Archaeology of Pacific Material Culture - in honour of Janet M. Davidson the book presented essays of new research by leading international scholars with an introduction by Davidson's distinguished colleague Roger Curtis Green. Published by Otago University Press, the book was edited by three Pacific prehistorians Atholl Anderson, Kaye C. Green and Foss Leach.
Janet’s career combined active and often pioneering fieldwork across the Pacific with an imaginative approach to museum research and display that attracted young scholars, explains contributor Roger Green; she kept material culture in the public eye.
Davidson carried out field work in the Society Islands at Moorea (1961–1962), Samoa (1964, 1965–1966), Tonga (1964) and Nukuoro (1965) in the Federated States of Micronesia as well as Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
In 1964, Davidson graduated with an M.A. in Anthropology from the University of Auckland. In 1965, she was the E. Earle Vaile Archaeologist at the Auckland Institute and Museum. She was an honorary lecturer at University of Otago and later held the position of Senior Curator, Pacific at the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa.
Davidson and Green carried out extensive archaeological field work in Samoa in the 1960s. They co-authored Archaeology in Western Samoa and laid the foundation for archaeology in Samoa. Part of Davidson's field work was studying settlement patterns in Samoa before 1840.
Davidson has published extensively on the prehistory of New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. She edited the New Zealand Journal of Archaeology from 1985 - 2008. She was also a major contributor to the Journal of the Polynesian Society.
- Queen's Birthday Honours List 1996. Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- NZ Journal of Archaeology
- Journal of the Polynesian Society: [Front Matter] And Notes And News, P I-ii, 1-2 Journal of the Polynesian Society, Vol. 78 No.1 MARCH 1969, edited by Mervyn McLean. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Journal of the Polynesian Society: Settlement Patterns In Samoa Before 1840, By Janet M. Davidson, P 44 - 82 Journal of the Polynesian Society, 1969 Vol. 78, No. 1. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- New Zealand Journal of Archaeology Contents Index New Zealand Journal of Archaeology website