Janet Kelso speaking at Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology conference in 2015
|Born||March 24, 1975|
|Institutions||Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology|
|Thesis||The development and application of informatics-based systems for the analysis of the human transcriptome (2003)|
|Doctoral advisors||Winston Hide|
Janet Kelso (born 1975) is a South African computational biologist and Group leader of the Minerva Research Group for Bioinformatics at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
Kelso gained her Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Natal in 1995 followed by Honours and Master of Science degrees in medical biochemistry and chemical pathology from the University of Cape Town in 1997 and 2000, respectively. She received her PhD in bioinformatics in 2003, from the University of the Western Cape, supervised by Winston Hide.
Research and career
Kelso has carried out research in comparative primate genomics and has contributed to the Neanderthal, bonobo and orangutan genome projects. Since 2004, she has been Group leader of the Minerva Research Group for Bioinformatics at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
Awards and honors
Kelso won a L'Oréal-UNESCO Awards for Women in Science Fellowship in 2004. With her co-authors, she was awarded the Newcomb Cleveland Prize for the most outstanding paper in Science in 2010: this paper published the draft sequence of the Neanderthal genome. Kelso served as Vice President of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) from 2011-2013 and in 2016 was elected to serve another 3-year term as Vice President, starting in January 2017. She was elected an ISCB Fellow by the International Society for Computational Biology in 2016.
- "Existing members of ELIXIR SAB.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Anon (2017). "ISCB Fellows". iscb.org. International Society for Computational Biology. Archived from the original on 2017-03-20.
- Leipzig, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology,. "Dept. of Genetics | Bioinformatics | Group Staff". www.eva.mpg.de. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Janet Kelso at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Janet Kelso publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Kelso, Janet (2003). The development and application of informatics-based systems for the analysis of the human transcriptome. uwc.ac.za (PhD thesis). University of the Western Cape. hdl:11394/2003. OCLC 56536421.
- "ISCB Newsletter 17-2". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Fogg, Christiana N.; Kovats, Diane E. (24 June 2015). "Computational Biology: Moving into the Future One Click at a Time". PLOS Computational Biology. 11 (6): e1004323. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004323. PMC . PMID 26107876.
- Green, R. E.; Krause, J.; Briggs, A. W.; Maricic, T.; Stenzel, U.; Kircher, M.; Patterson, N.; Li, H.; Zhai, W.; Fritz, M. H. Y.; Hansen, N. F.; Durand, E. Y.; Malaspinas, A. S.; Jensen, J. D.; Marques-Bonet, T.; Alkan, C.; Prufer, K.; Meyer, M.; Burbano, H. A.; Good, J. M.; Schultz, R.; Aximu-Petri, A.; Butthof, A.; Hober, B.; Hoffner, B.; Siegemund, M.; Weihmann, A.; Nusbaum, C.; Lander, E. S.; Russ, C.; Novod, N.; Affourtit, J.; Egholm, M.; Verna, C.; Rudan, P.; Brajkovic, D.; Kucan, Z.; Gusic, I.; Doronichev, V. B.; Golovanova, L. V.; Lalueza-Fox, C.; de la Rasilla, M.; Fortea, J.; Rosas, A.; Schmitz, R. W.; Johnson, P. L. F.; Eichler, E. E.; Falush, D.; Birney, E.; Mullikin, J. C.; Slatkin, M.; Nielsen, R.; Kelso, J.; Lachmann, M.; Reich, D.; Paabo, S. (6 May 2010). "A Draft Sequence of the Neandertal Genome". Science. 328 (5979): 710–722. doi:10.1126/science.1188021. PMC . PMID 20448178.
- Prüfer, Kay; Munch, Kasper; Hellmann, Ines; Akagi, Keiko; Miller, Jason R.; Walenz, Brian; Koren, Sergey; Sutton, Granger; Kodira, Chinnappa; Winer, Roger; Knight, James R.; Mullikin, James C.; Meader, Stephen J.; Ponting, Chris P.; Lunter, Gerton; Higashino, Saneyuki; Hobolth, Asger; Dutheil, Julien; Karakoç, Emre; Alkan, Can; Sajjadian, Saba; Catacchio, Claudia Rita; Ventura, Mario; Marques-Bonet, Tomas; Eichler, Evan E.; André, Claudine; Atencia, Rebeca; Mugisha, Lawrence; Junhold, Jörg; Patterson, Nick; Siebauer, Michael; Good, Jeffrey M.; Fischer, Anne; Ptak, Susan E.; Lachmann, Michael; Symer, David E.; Mailund, Thomas; Schierup, Mikkel H.; Andrés, Aida M.; Kelso, Janet; Pääbo, Svante (13 June 2012). "The bonobo genome compared with the chimpanzee and human genomes". Nature. 486 (7404): 527–31. doi:10.1038/nature11128. PMC . PMID 22722832.
- "ISCB Newsletter 16-1". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Cape Town Student Wins National Award for Women in Science". www.panapress.com. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Winston Hide | Harvard School of Public Health - Academia.edu". hsph-harvard.academia.edu. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "September 12, 2016 - ISCB Announces Results of the 2016 Officer and Student Council Leadership Elections!". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Feb 22, 2016: ISCB Congratulates & Introduces the 2016 Class of Fellows!". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 13 September 2016.