This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Janet Laurence (born 1947) is an Australian artist who works in mixed media and installation, based in Sydney. Her work has been included in major survey exhibitions, nationally and internationally and is regularly exhibited in Sydney, Melbourne and Japan.
Laurence's work explores a relationship to the natural world, often from an architectural context. She has exhibited in galleries and outside in site-specific projects, often involving collaborations with architects, landscape architects and environmental scientists.
Laurence is an environmental artist. Over more than 35 years she has made public artworks and site-specific installations. A recent project, Deep Breathing: Resuscitation for the Reef for both the Paris Climate Change Conference (2015), presented one of Australia's greatest natural wonders to an international audience gathered in Paris for the United Nations Climate Change Conference in November 2015. Laurence's artwork includes photos, videos and natural material like bleached corals and shells. It also features fish and turtle specimens borrowed from the Australian Museum and Paris's Museum national d'Histoire naturelle, where it was displayed.
Laurence lives and works in Sydney. A recipient of both a Rockefeller and Churchill Fellowship, she was a Trustee of the Art Gallery of NSW from 1995 to 2005, on the VAB Board of the Australia Council and is currently a Visiting Fellow at COFA NSW University. She is also a council member of Voiceless, the animal protection institute.
- 2008: Crimes Against Nature, ARC ONE Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- 2009: Things that Disappear, Hugo Michell Gallery, Adelaide, Australia
- 2010: Abundant Australia: 11th Venice Architecture Biennale, Australian Pavilion, Venice, Italy
- 2010: Handle With Care: 2008 Adelaide Biennial of Australian Art, Art Gallery of South Australia
- 2010: Waiting, 17th Biennale of Sydney: The Beauty of Distance – Songs of Survival in a Precarious Age, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
- 2010: In the Balance: Art for a Changing World, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney
- 2011: Found/Lost, China Arts Projects, Osage Gallery, Beijing, China
- 2012: The Alchemical Garden of Desire, McClelland Gallery, VIC
- 2012: In Memory of Nature, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- 2012: After Eden, Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation, Sydney
- 2012: Janet Laurence: Avalanche ARC ONE Gallery, Melbourne Australia
- 2013: Negotiating this World, NGV, Melbourne
- 2013: Resistance, Fine Art Society, London, UK
- 2013: SCANZ : 3rd Nature, New Plymouth, New Zealand
- 2013: ½ Scene, Australia China Art Foundation (ACAF), Melbourne, VIC
- 2013: Animate/Inanimate, TarraWarra Museum of Art, Healsville, VIC
- 2014: The Skullbone Experiment: A Paradigm of Art and Nature, Launceston Museum, Tasmania, Australia
- 2014: What Marcel Duchamp Taught Me, FAS Contemporary, London
- 2014: Blood and Chloropyll, Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Australia
- 2014: Residue, Hugo Michell Gallery, Adelaide, Australia
- 2015: The Significant Other ARC ONE Gallery, Melbourne Australia
- 2015: Art Speaks Out, Ikonotv, Berlin
- 2015: Till its Gone, Islanbul Modern, Turkey
- 2015: Deep Breathing 2015Artists 4 Paris Muséum National D’Historie Naturelle, Paris
- 2016: Deep Breathing (Resuscitation for the Reef) Australian Museum
- 2016: Antrhopocene, Fine Arts Society Contemporary, London, UK
- 2016: H2O Waterbar, Paddington Reservoir Gardens NSW
- 2017: Nautilus Landesmuseum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte - Oldenburger Schloss, Germany
- 2017: Moving Plants Rønnebæks Holm, Denmark
- 2017: Inside the Flower, Internationale Garten Ausstellung (IGA), Berlin, Germany
- 2018: What Colour is the Sacred ARC ONE Gallery, Melbourne Australia
- 2019: After Nature, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (MCA), Sydney, Australia
Permanent site-specific works
- 2003: Elixir, Echigo-Tsumari Triennial, Japan, permanent installation
- 2003: The Breath We Share, Sidney Myer Bendigo Art Gallery, Vic
- 2006: Waterveil, CH2 Building for Melbourne City Council, Melbourne
- 2007: The Memory of Lived Spaces, Changi T3 Airport Terminal, Singapore
- 2010: Ghost, Lake Macquarie Gallery, NSW
- 2011: Tarkine (For a World in Need of Wilderness), Macquarie Bank, London, UK
- 2015: Veiling Glass Medicine Maze, Novartis Sydney NSW
Awards and grants
- 1982: Gold Coast City Art Purchase Award, Qld
- 1986: Woollahra–Waverley Art Prize, Sydney
- 1994: Pring Prize, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- 1994: Lake Macquarie Art Prize, NSW
- 1994: Kedumba Drawing Award, Wentworth Falls, NSW
- 1995: Royal Australian Institute of Architects ‘Lloyd Rees Award for Urban Design’ for First Government House Place, Sydney, in collaboration with Fiona Foley and Denton Corker Marshall Architects
- 1996: Alice Prize, Alice Springs, NT
- 1997: Rockefeller Foundation (residency), Bellagio, Italy
- 1996–98: Australia Council Fellowship
- 1999: National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), Award for Art in the Built Environment, Australia, for 49 Veils
- 2000: McGeorge Fellowship, University of Melbourne, Melbourne
- 2003: New Work Grant, Australia Council
- 2006: Churchill Fellowship
- 2008–ongoing: Visiting Fellow, University of New South Wales, College of Fine Arts, Sydney
- 2009: New Work Grant – Established, Australia Council
- 2010: Alumni Award for the Arts, University of New South Wales, College of Fine Arts, Sydney
- 2013: John Glover Art Prize, Tasmania
Key collections in which Laurence's work is held include: NGA, Canberra; AGNSW, Sydney; NGV, Melbourne; QAG, Brisbane; AGSA, Adelaide; Artbank Australia Macquarie Bank Collection, Kunstwerk Summlung Klein, Germany.
- "Ségolène Royal présente ses voeux pour cette année 2016 - vidéo Dailymotion". Dailymotion. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Taylor, Andrew (September 15, 2015). "Janet Laurence brings fragility of the Great Barrier Reef to Paris climate talks". Retrieved 5 March 2016 – via The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Periz, Ingrid (17 May 2016). "Collector's Dossier: Janet Laurence" (PDF). Art Collector. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Voiceless, the animal protection institute".
- "Cultural + Civic". Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "The Alice Prize". Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Janet Laurence". Retrieved 5 March 2018.