|Born||August 12, 1949|
New York City, New York, United States
|Education||University of Rochester, 1970|
|Employer||The New York Times|
|Known for||Film and literary criticism|
Benjamin Cheever, current
Janet R. Maslin (born August 12, 1949) is an American journalist, best known as a film and literary critic for The New York Times. She served as a Times film critic from 1977 to 1999 and a book critic from 2000 to 2015.
Maslin graduated from the University of Rochester in 1970, with a Bachelor of Arts degree and a major in mathematics. She began her career as a rock music critic for The Boston Phoenix and Rolling Stone.
Maslin was the longtime film critic for The New York Times, serving from 1977 to 1999. Her film-criticism career, including her embrace of American independent cinema, is discussed in the documentary film For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism (2009). In the film Entertainment Weekly critic Lisa Schwarzbaum recalls the excitement of having a woman as the lead reviewer at The New York Times.
Maslin continues to review books for The New York Times. Among the best-known of her reviews is the 2011 essay on the widowed Joyce Carol Oates' memoir, A Widow's Story, which was widely discussed.
- Maslin, Janet (December 17, 2012). "Janet Maslin's 10 Favorite Books of 2012". The New York Times.
- Sean Elder, "Maslin Bails, Critics Rail" Archived 2011-07-31 at the Wayback Machine., Salon, September 23, 1999, accessed December 21, 2007.
- Barr, Jeremy. "Times book critic Janet Maslin shifts into contributing role". POLITICO Media. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- Interview with Janet Maslin
- "Book Reviews by Janet Maslin", The New York Times website
- "Janet Maslin vs. Joyce Carol Oates's 'Widow's Story'" The Wire February 14, 2011. TheWire
- "Unethical, Immoral. Crude and Cruel and Unconscionable" Crossing the Border February 14, 2011. Crossingtheborder
- Janet Maslin at The New York Times - Archived articles written by Maslin.
- Janet Maslin on IMDb
- "Janet Maslin" at Rotten Tomatoes – Includes links to full texts of reviews by Janet Maslin.
- Interview with Janet Maslin. The Connection. Broadcast on WBUR (Boston), February 10, 2000. Accessed December 21, 2007. (RealAudio format.)
- Rockcritics.com interview – May 2005