Montgomery at WonderCon, April 2015
|Born||Janet Ruth Montgomery
29 October 1985
Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom
Janet Ruth Montgomery (born 29 October 1985) is a British film and TV actress. She is known for her role as Ames in the second season of Fox's Human Target, and also for her appearances in The Hills Run Red and Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead, as well as her role as Eric Murphy's assistant Jennie in HBO's Entourage. She recently played protagonist Martina Garretti in the short-lived Made in Jersey. As of 2014[update], she stars as the lead character, Mary Sibley, in the WGN America series, Salem.
Although trained as a dancer at the Stella Mann College of Performing Arts, Bedford, Montgomery chose to pursue acting rather than dance professionally. Her lack of drama school training made it difficult for her to obtain acting representation initially. She achieved her breakthrough after producing a play with her friend Gethin Anthony.
The following year, Montgomery appeared in two straight-to-DVD horror-genre releases filmed in Sofia, Bulgaria – The Hills Run Red and the finale of the Wrong Turn trilogy, Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead and played the role of Fallyn Werner, a teenage killer in the Lifetime film Accused at 17.
In 2010, Montgomery appeared in her first theatrically released films, playing Ruth in the mystery The Rapture, Giselle in the independent horror film Dead Cert and the supporting role of Madeline in the Academy Award nominated psychological thriller Black Swan – playing a Little Swan to Natalie Portman's Oscar-winning portrayal of the Black Swan.
That same year Montgomery also signed on to play Paul Rudd's love interest in Our Idiot Brother. After seeing her audition tape in Los Angeles, producers worked around her schedule on Entourage and flew her to New York to begin shooting. This was her first comedy movie and one in which she received rave reviews. Whilst working on Entourage, Montgomery was invited to appear on The League, a critically acclaimed semi-improvised show about American football, and played Ambrosia the stripper in the first episode of the second season. Barely recognisable and improvising in an American accent paved the way for her offer from Human Target producers for the role of Ames.
In 2012, Montgomery played the lead role in the CBS television series Made in Jersey. The series was cancelled after two episodes aired. Despite the early cancellation, Montgomery received huge compliments and a career boost from the short lived series. Two new episodes aired on 22 December 2012.
Montgomery attracted the attention of Stephen Poliakoff via an audition tape she sent to casting director Andy Pryor for the role of Sarah in Dancing on the Edge. Poliakoff was impressed and offered her the job via Skype. The five-part miniseries aired 4 February 2013 on BBC Two.
She also played opposite David Tennant in BBC Four's Spies of Warsaw. The drama received mixed reviews. She is to appear as Grace Van Helsing, "the prodigal daughter who returns to run the family newspaper (and presumably stake a few vampires)" in the ABC pilot series Gothica. Actor Chris Egan plays her love interest, the character Dorian Gray.
|2008||Flushed||Queen Bitch||Short film|
|2009||The Hills Run Red||Serina|
|2009||Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead||Alex|
|2010||Accused at 17||Fallyn Werner||Television movie|
|2011||Our Idiot Brother||Lady Arabella|
|2015||Happily Ever After||Heather||Post-production|
|2015||Drive, She Said||Nikki||Post-production|
|2010||The League||Ambrosia||Episode: "Vegas Draft"|
|2010–2011||Human Target||Ames||11 episodes|
|2011–2012||Merlin||Princess Mithian||2 episodes|
|2012||Made in Jersey||Martina Garretti||8 episodes|
|2013||Dancing on the Edge||Sarah||5 episodes|
|2013||Spies of Warsaw||Anna||4 episodes|
|2013||Gothica||Grace Van Helsing||Unsold TV pilot|
|2013||Downton Abbey||Freda Dudley Ward||Episode: "The London Season"|
|2014–present||Salem||Mary Sibley||26 episodes
Nominated—Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Actress on Television
|2014||Black Mirror||Bethany||Episode: "White Christmas"|
- "Exclusive First Stills: The Devil's Playground - Dread Central". Dread Central. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- BBC – Media Centre – Janet Montgomery plays Anna Skarbek
- BBC – Merlin – Princess Mithian played by Janet Montgomery
- 'Merlin': 'Game of Thrones' Liam Cunningham confirmed for series five – Merlin News – Cult – Digital Spy
- Hibberd, James (25 February 2013). "Janet Montgomery to star in ABC's monster mash pilot". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (25 February 2013). "Deadline.com » Blog ArchiveJanet Montgomery To Play The Lead Grace Van Helsing in ABC Pilot 'Gothica' - Deadline.com". M.deadline.com. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Gothica (TV 2013)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Kit, Borys (May 8, 2012). "Jason Biggs, Ashley Tisdale Starring in Indie Comedy 'Drive, She Said' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Al Kirtley – and another thing… – The Bournemouth Years (Piano)". Alkirtley.co.uk. 26 March 1964. Retrieved 31 August 2013.