|First Lady of Uganda|
29 January 1986
|Born||Janet Kainembabazi Kataaha
24 June 1948
|Religion||Born Again Christian|
Janet Kataaha Museveni (née Kainembabazi, born June 24, 1948) is a Ugandan politician who has been the First Lady of Uganda since 1986. She is married to President Yoweri Museveni, with whom she has four children. She has been Cabinet Minister of Education and Sports in the Ugandan Cabinet, since 6 June 2016. She previously served as Minister for Karamoja Affairs in the Cabinet of Uganda from 27 May 2011 until 6 June 2016. She is also served as the elected Member of Parliament representing Ruhaama County in Ntungamo District, between 2011 and 2016. She published her autobiography, My Life's Journey, in 2011.
Early life and marriage
Janet Kainembabazi Kataaha Museveni was born in Bwongyera village in Kajara county, Ntungamo District, Western Uganda to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kataaha. She attended Kyamate Primary School, and Bweranyangi Girls' Senior Secondary School.
Janet Museveni went into exile in 1971, when Idi Amin toppled the Milton Obote regime in a military coup. She married Yoweri Museveni in August 1973. When Idi Amin's regime fell from power in April 1979, she moved back to Uganda from Tanzania where she had been living in exile with her husband.
In February 1981 when Yoweri Museveni launched his guerrilla war against the government of President Obote, Janet Museveni and her children re-located to Nairobi, Kenya, where they lived with family friends until 1983. In 1983, they moved to Gothenburg, Sweden, and stayed there until May 1986, four months after Yoweri Museveni's National Resistance Army had seized power in Kampala.
Janet Museveni founded the Uganda Women's Effort to Save Orphans (UWESO), a private relief agency in late 1986, which she said was shaped by her experience as a refugee. She became involved with the HIV/AIDS campaigns in Uganda in the 1990s, forging ties with radical pastor Martin Ssempa for abstinence-only sex education in Uganda.
In November 2005, she announced that she would seek the parliamentary seat of Ruhaama county in the February 2006 general elections. She contested the seat against the candidate for the Forum for Democratic Change, Augustine Ruzindana, and won overwhelmingly. She was re-elected in March 2011 to another five-year term.
On 6 June 2016, after her husband's re-election as President, she was appointed Minister of Education and Sports.
The four children of Janet Museveni are:
- Muhoozi Kainerugaba - Born in 1974, Brigadier in the UPDF and Commander of Special Forces.
- Natasha Karugire - Born in 1976, Fashion designer and consultant. Married to Edwin Karugire. Private Secretary to the President of Uganda for Household Affairs.
- Patience Rwabwogo - Born in 1978, Pastor of Covenant Nations Church, Buziga, Kampala. - Married to Odrek Rwabwogo.
- Diana Kamuntu - Born in 1980, Married to Geoffrey Kamuntu.
- Bengali, Shashank (26 March 2006). "Uganda Is Leading Africa's Boom In Christianity". Desertnews.com. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Museveni's new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Full List of Ugandan Ministers Appointed by President Museveni". Daily Monitor. Kampala. 28 May 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Museveni Names New Cabinet
- "The world through the Musevenis’ eyes". Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "From Ntungamo to State House: The Museveni love story". Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Butagira, Tabu (22 May 2010). "Janet Museveni Opens Up On Love, Family And Politics". AllAfrica.com (The Monitor). Retrieved 20 October 2010.
President Museveni writes in his autobiography: ... Janet and I were married in August 1973 while working for the East African Community and their first child, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, was born on April 24, 1974...
- The Economist, July 3, 2010, page 45.
- Janet Museveni Appointed Minister of State
- Full List of Cabinet Ministers of Uganda, May 2011
- Lt. Col. Muhoozi is Commander Special Forces The information given here is not the bible truth, Jannet can only be taken as mother in some sense but she is not the biological mum to the boy
- Natasha is a Fashion Guru
- Website of Covenant Nations Church
- Patience Rwabwogo is a Pastor
- Geoffrey Kamuntu and His Wife