Janet T. Neff
|Janet T. Neff|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan|
|Assumed office |
August 6, 2007
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||David McKeague|
|Born||1945 (age 72–73)|
Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||University of Pittsburgh (B.A.)|
Wayne State University Law School (J.D.)
Janet T. Neff (born 1945) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
Early life and education
Following law school graduation, Neff was an assistant city attorney for the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan, from 1971 to 1973. She was in private practice in Michigan from 1973 to 1978 and from 1980 to 1988. She was a Commissioner, Michigan Supreme Court from 1978 to 1980. She became an Assistant United States Attorney of the U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Michigan in 1980. She was a judge on the Michigan Court of Appeals from 1989 to 2007.
Federal judicial career
Neff was nominated to the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan by President George W. Bush on March 19, 2007 to a seat vacated David McKeague. Despite the blocking of her confirmation vote by U.S. Senator Sam Brownback from Kansas because she had attended a same-sex commitment ceremony, Neff was confirmed by a vote of 84 to 3 by the Senate on July 9, 2007. She received her commission on August 6, 2007. She has generated controversy over her stance over a federal gun control issue caused by Kent County Sheriff Larry Stelma over his comments that he "will not abide by or enforce federal law which he determines to be unconstitutional". In 2017, Judge Neff also sentenced serial sexual predator and former United States Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar to 60 years in federal prison.
- Janet T. Neff at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- "Neff, Janet T." Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- Senate rejects Brownback's concerns about judge, Reuters, July 9, 2007. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- Loman, Amanda (2013-02-01). "Letters to the editor: U.S. District Judge Neff questions sheriff's stand on federal gun proposals". MLive.com. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- ESPN, DAN MURPHY via (2017-12-07). "Larry Nassar receives maximum 60-year sentence from federal judge". ABC News. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan