Janette Rallison (born April 1, 1966) is an American writer best known for her light romance novels for young adults. She also writes young adult science fiction/fantasy under the name C. J. Hill and adult romantic novels as Sierra St. James.
Rallison was born in 1966. She grew up in Pullman, Washington. Growing up in a small town influenced the settings Rallison writes about in her books. She later moved to Chandler, Arizona. She began writing at the age of six years old. She continues to write throughout her life in the genres of romance and science fiction. She attended college at Brigham Young University where she studied English Teaching. She is married to an Attorney and has five children. One of her children is James Rallison, better known as theOdd1sOut.
Janette published her first novels though LDS publishing companies; however, after submitting her book to a national book company, her career took off.
Janette kicked off her writing career working for an LDS publishing company writing romantic adult novels under the pen name Sierra St. James. She has recently acquired the rights to these books and has been re-editing and republishing them (her Erasing Time series under her pen name C.J. Hill is an example of this). After her books changed genres from romantic comedy to action, Rallison’s editor had her use the pen name C.J. Hill. She has written the Slayers trilogy as well as the Erasing Time series under this name.
Rallison's books are upbeat and uplifting stories that are for pleasure and entertainment. She writes on her website that "If your teacher asks you to identify symbolism in my books, you have my permission to tell him/her that I didn’t put any in." She has however stated that the element of forgiveness is very prevalent in her books and would be what she would classify as the overarching theme of her writing.
- Deep Blue Eyes and Other Lies (1996)
- Dakota's Revenge (1998)
- Playing the Field (2002)
- All's Fair in Love, War, and High School (2003)
- Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws (2004)
- Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To-Do List (2005)
- It's a Mall World After All (2006)
- How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend (2007)
- Can You Keep a Secret? Ten Stories about Secrets (contributor) (2007)
- Revenge of the Cheerleaders (2002)
- My Fair Godmother (2009)
- Just One Wish (2009)
- My Double Life (2010)
- My Unfair Godmother (2011)
- Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards (2011 revision of Deep Blue Eyes )
- A Longtime (and at one point Illegal) Crush (2013)
- Son of War, Daughter of Chaos (2014)
- My Fairly Dangerous Godmother (2015)
- The Girl Who Heard Demons (March 29, 2016)
- The Wrong Side of Magic (Aug 23, 2016)
- How I Met Your Brother (Nov 1, 2016)
As C. J. Hill
- Slayers (2011)
- Friends and Traitors (2013)
- Slayers: Playing with Fire (2016)
- Slayers: The Dragon Lords (2018)
- Slayers: Into the Firestorm (2018)
- Erasing Time (2012)
- Echo in Time (2013)
As Sierra St. James
- Trial of the Heart (1999)
- Masquerade (2001)
- What the Doctor Ordered (2004)
- Summer in New York (2013)
- A Long Time (and at one point illegal) Crush (2014)
- Aimee Bastarache (2010). "Janette Rallison papers". Prepared for the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Provo, UT. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- "Janette Rallison". Library of Congress Name Authority File. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- email@example.com - http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk. "Janette Rallison". Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- "Biography". Janette Rallison & CJ Hill Books.
- "Janette Rallison". Literary Worlds: Illumination of the Mind. Brigham Young University. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Janette Rallison". Claire's Day. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- Rallison, Janette (2013-05-28). "These work for writers too". Janette Rallison Blog. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- Rallison, Janette (2014-11-03). "Where does he get these ideas?". Janette Rallison Blog. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "CJ Hill Books". Janette Rallison & CJ Hill Books. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "Janette Rallison's blog: "Editing mistakes—or: Why, yes, my character does have super powers".