Jang Hyun-seung performing in Bangkok in March 2011
September 3, 1989 |
Suncheon, South Korea
|Other names||So-1 , JS|
|Revised Romanization||Jang Hyeon-seung|
Jang Hyun-seung (Hangul: 장현승; born September 3, 1989) most often credited as Hyunseung, is a South Korean idol singer, dancer and musical actor. He is best known as a former member of the boy band Beast, under the label Cube Entertainment. With Beast, he has released singles and albums in both Korean and Japanese. Beast won the Artist of the Year (Daesang) award at the Melon Music Awards in 2011.
- 1 Family and personal life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Family and personal life
In 2004, at the age of 15, Hyunseung took part in auditions for YG Entertainment. He was eliminated in the second round, but went to see CEO Yang Hyun Suk afterwards out of frustration at being eliminated and was accepted as a trainee.
For a year and four months Hyunseung was a trainee for the boy band Big Bang. During this time, he used the stage name "So-1," a homonym for the Korean word for wish. He first gained media attention when he appeared in the group's predebut "Big Bang Documentary," along with members G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang, Daesung and Seungri. He appeared in 10 out of 11 episodes, but was cut from the group in a final elimination round with Seungri. Yang Hyunsuk felt that Hyunseung's expressiveness and stage presence were underdeveloped at the time. Fellow Beast member, Yoon Doo-joon decided to become a singer after watching the Big Bang documentary featuring Hyunseung. Hyunseung refers to his experiences at YG as important to his development as an artist.
Hyunseung later met future fellow band member Yang Yo-seob while they were working as dancers for a show performance team. Yoseob convinced Hyunseung to join Cube Entertainment, leading to him debuting with Beast.
The group has released 2 Korean albums, 8 Korean mini-albums and various singles. In December 2010, Hyunseung teamed up with fellow member Lee Gi-kwang in a sub-unit to write and compose an R&B track as part of the band's digital album, My Story.
On May 7, 2015, Hyunseung released his debut solo mini-album, "My". Other than BEAST's tracks, Hyunseung's album had more influences on hiphop culture and pop culture in his preference. The title track "Ma First" (feat Giriboy), and "Break Up With Him" (feat. Dok2).
In December 2011, Hyun-seung formed a unit with labelmate 4Minute's HyunA called Trouble Maker. Trouble Maker debuted with their self-named lead single and mini album Trouble Maker. On October 28, 2013, the group released the single "There Is No Tomorrow" from their EP Chemistry.
In April 2014, Hyunseung was cast in the musical Bonnie & Clyde. He performed as the lead character, Clyde, from April 15 to June 29, 2014 at the BBC Art Center along with other artists, including SHINee‘s Key, ZE:A‘s Park Hyung Sik, Kahi, and Oh So Yeon.
In April 2016, Hyunseung was nominated and won "Best Male Artist (South Korea)" at the 4th Annual V-Chart Music Awards in China.
Departure from BEAST
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|"Ma First" (featuring Giriboy)||2015||28||
Other charted songs
|"Break up With Him" (featuring Tokki)||2015||70||
|"I Said I Love You"||—[A]||
Features & OST
|2011||05.09||“Loving U”||Yoon Doojoon, Jang Hyunseung, Yang Yoseob||All My Love OST|
|2012||07.03||“나는 나는 음악” (“I Am, I’m Music”)||Jang Hyunseung for Mozart! Musical||-|
|2013||01.03||“일년전에” (“One Year Ago”)||Jang Hyun-seung, Jung Eun-ji, and Kim Nam-joo||‘A CUBE’ FOR SEASON #WHITE|
|2013||Immortal Song 2||KBS|
|2014||Immortal Song 2||KBS|
|2015||Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (with BEAST), Ep. 209|
Awards and nominations
||Top Male Artist-Korea||Hyunseung||Won|
- "I Said I Love You" did not enter the Gaon Digital Chart, but peaked at number 95 on the Gaon Download Chart.
- Mark Russell (April 29, 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 52. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Winners from the '2011 Melon Music Awards'". AllKPop. November 24, 2011. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- Trouble Maker wins Triple Crown #1 + Performances from December 29th’s ‘M! Countdown’.
- B2ST’s Hyunseung posts a childhood picture with sister
- "4 members of 6-member group BEAST enter DongShin University together on March 2". Star News (in Korean). March 1, 2010. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "K-pop stars scholarships irk students". The Korea Times. July 18, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- “The bitter taste of failure became the irony of fate”
- "BEAST's Yoon Doojoon "I want to be a singer after seeing "BIGBANG DOCUMENTARY"". Newsen (in Korean). October 22, 2009. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- HyunA and Hyunseung release project EP, ‘Trouble Maker’
- Jang Hyun-seung to star in ‘Mozart‘
- "Jang Hyun-seung to bolt from BEAST". Yonhap. April 20, 2016. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "Beast's Jang Hyun-seung angers fans". The Korea Times. February 23, 2016. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- Gaon Weekly Album Chart
- "MY - 2015년 21주차 Album Chart (May 10, 2015 - May 16, 2015)". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association.
- "Gaon Album Ranking Monthly (5/2015) - see #4". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association.
- "2015 Gaon Download Chart - May". Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "2015 Gaon Download Chart - Week 20". Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- 4th V Chart Awards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jang Hyun-seung.|