September 3, 1989 |
Suncheon, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
|Other names||SO-1, JS, Rancho|
|Revised Romanization||Jang Hyeon-seung|
Jang Hyun-seung (Hangul: 장현승; born September 3, 1989) more commonly known as Hyunseung, is a South Korean idol singer and dancer. He is best known as the vocalist and dancer of the boy band Beast, under the label Cube Entertainment. With Beast, he has released singles and albums in both Korean and Japanese. Beast won the Artist of the Year (Daesang) award at the Melon Music Awards in 2011.
Family and personal life
In 2004, at the age of 15, Hyunseung took part in auditions for YG Entertainment. He was eliminated in the second round, but went to see CEO Yang Hyun Suk afterwards out of frustration at being eliminated and was accepted as a trainee.
For a year and four months Hyunseung was a trainee for the boy band Big Bang. During this time, he used the stage name "So-1," a homonym for the Korean word for wish. He first gained media attention when he appeared in the group's predebut "Big Bang Documentary," along with members G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang, Daesung and Seungri. He appeared in 10 out of 11 episodes, but was cut from the group in a final elimination round with Seungri. Yang Hyunsuk felt that Hyunseung's expressiveness and stage presence were underdeveloped at the time. Fellow Beast member, Yoon Doo-joon decided to become a singer after watching the Big Bang documentary featuring Hyunseung. Hyunseung refers to his experiences at YG as important to his development as an artist.
Hyunseung later met future fellow band member Yang Yo-seob while they were working as dancers for a show performance team. Yoseob convinced Hyunseung to join Cube Entertainment, leading to him debuting with Beast.
The group has released 2 Korean albums, 8 Korean mini-albums and various singles. In December 2010, Hyunseung teamed up with fellow member Lee Gi-kwang in a sub-unit to write and compose an R&B track as part of the band's digital album, My Story.
In December 2011, Hyun-seung formed a unit with labelmate 4Minute's HyunA called Trouble Maker. Trouble Maker debuted with their self-named lead single and mini album Trouble Maker. On October 28, the group released the single "There Is No Tomorrow" from their EP Chemistry.
In April 2014, Hyunseung was cast in the musical Bonnie & Clyde. He performed as the lead character, Clyde, from April 15 to June 29, 2014 at the BBC Art Center along with other artists, including SHINee‘s Key, ZE:A‘s Park Hyung Sik, Kahi, and Oh So Yeon.
|Title||Album details||Track listing||Peak
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
Features & OST
|2011||05.09||“Loving U”||Yoon Doojoon, Jang Hyunseung, Yang Yoseob||All My Love OST|
|2012||07.03||“나는 나는 음악” (“I Am, I’m Music”)||Jang Hyunseung for Mozart! Musical||-|
|2013||01.03||“일년전에” (“One Year Ago”)||Jang Hyun-seung, Jung Eun-ji, and Kim Nam-joo||‘A CUBE’ FOR SEASON #WHITE|
|2013||Immortal Song 2||TV Show (KBS)||Himself|
|2014||Immortal Song 2||TV Show (KBS)||Himself|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 52. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Winners from the '2011 Melon Music Awards'". AllKPop. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Trouble Maker wins Triple Crown #1 + Performances from December 29th’s ‘M! Countdown’.
- B2ST’s Hyunseung posts a childhood picture with sister
- "4 members of 6-member group BEAST enter DongShin University together on March 2". Star News (in Korean). 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- "K-pop stars scholarships irk students". The Korea Times. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- “The bitter taste of failure became the irony of fate”
- "BEAST's Yoon Doojoon "I want to be a singer after seeing "BIGBANG DOCUMENTARY"". Newsen (in Korean). 2009-10-22. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- HyunA and Hyunseung release project EP, ‘Trouble Maker’
- Jang Hyun-seung to star in ‘Mozart‘
- 가온차트와 함께하세요 [Gaon Chart] (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved May 12, 2014.