In April 2011
|Born||Danyang County, Chungcheongbuk-do, South Korea|
(Theater and Film)
|Occupation||Actor, singer, director|
|Revised Romanization||Jang Keun-suk|
Jang Keun-suk (Hangul: 장근석; Hanja: 張根碩) is a South Korean actor and singer, He is best known for starring in the television dramas Beethoven Virus (2008), You're Beautiful (2009), Mary Stayed Out All Night (2010), Love Rain (2012), Pretty Man (2013) and Jackpot (2016).
Jang started working as a child model at the age of five after he was discovered by a talent agent. At that time, Jang's parents were selling their house and the agent, who was a prospective buyer, saw Jang. Seeing his potential, the agent advised Jang's parents to allow him to try a career in modeling.
Jang made his acting debut in the 1997 HBS (now Channel CGV) sitcom Selling Happiness. He then continued to work in television as a child actor. Studying in New Zealand at the time, a role in the popular MBC sitcom Nonstop 4 brought him back to South Korea.
In 2006, Jang debuted in the big screen for the Japanese horror film One Missed Call: Final where he played the role of a deaf boy. He next played the first love of famous gisaeng Hwang Jini (played by Ha Ji-won) in the period drama Hwang Jini.
In 2008, Jang would go on to act in two more music-inspired projects with the film Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do and the MBC drama Beethoven Virus opposite Kim Myung-min, in which he played a trumpet player in an orchestra. He also starred in the KBS drama, Hong Gil-dong as the fictional brother of King Gwanghae who vies for Joseon's throne. Afterwards, he starred opposite Moon Mason in the movie Baby and I.
Jang's took on his first villain role in the 2009 thriller, The Case of Itaewon Homicide. The film is based on the real-life Itaewon murder case in which a young Korean-American was accused of stabbing a Korean student to death. Jang spoke his lines in English throughout the entire film, and Beyond Hollywood praised him as having "performed very well" in the role.
In You're Beautiful (2009) Jang played the leader of fictional K-pop band A.N.Jell, who falls in love with a fellow band member who is a girl pretending to be her twin brother (played by Park Shin-hye).
Jang's first single as a singer, "Let Me Cry," was released by Pony Canyon in Japan on April 27, 2011. "Let Me Cry" debuted at number 1 on Japan's Oricon single charts, selling 119,149 copies on its first week of release, making him the first non-Japanese act to have the debut single to debut at number 1 on the charts. This won him Best New Artist in the 26th Japan Gold Disc Awards.
On October 26, 2011 Jang Keun-Suk released a direct-to-DVD titled Budapest Diary in Japan. Budapest Diary has Jang Geun-Suk as the primary actor and also Jang Geun-Suk participated in writing the screenplay and selecting the locations for filming. In September 2011, Jang's first Chinese album, an EP titled The Lounge H Vol.1, was released in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and throughout Southeast Asia. The album, which also included the music video for "Gotta Getcha" and backstage clips, eventually reached platinum sales. Team H later won Best Selling Album and Best Korean Album at the 2012 IFPI Hong Kong Record Sales Awards.
Jang's next film You're My Pet was released in November 2011. It was adapted from the Japanese manga Kimi wa Petto in which a younger man willingly becomes the "pet" of a career woman (played by Kim Ha-neul).
In March 2012, Jang released a new album Lounge H (The First Impression) exclusively in Japan. The album was different from Lounge H Vol.1, which Team H had released the year before, and contained seven tracks of rock and electronic genre, including "Gotta Getcha."
In May 2012, Jang released his first full-length Japanese album, titled Just Crazy. It debuted at No. 1 on the Oricon daily singles chart with 53,000 copies sold, and again topped the weekly singles chart with 88,009 copies sold. This made Jang the first male international (non-Japanese) solo artist to reach the top of both the Oricon daily and weekly charts, and the second overall to accomplish this feat after BoA's "Listen To My Heart." He is also the first artist in over 17 years to have topped both charts with the first single ("Let Me Cry") and the first studio album.
In June 2012, Jang released a Japanese cookbook titled, Love Recipe. It featured twenty recipes, essays, and photo shoots. His song, "200 Miles," was also featured in Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess.
Jang filmed the reality show Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village with Cha Seung-won and Yoo Hae-jin, which was supposed to air in January 2015. But a supposed tax evasion controversy in which a fine was paid of ₩10 billion (US$9.27 million) for his agency under-reporting taxes led to him dropping out of the program. Though Jang was found not guilty as it was his agency's unintentional accounting mistake, he decided to leave the program and his scenes were edited out.
On February 25, 2015 Jang Keun Suk released his third solo album ‘Monochrome’ and won the third place on ‘Oricon’ album daily and weekly chart. He also launched 2015 "Jang Keun Suk The Cri Show 3" around Japan. The tour, which began with the Osaka concert on March 14, has completely sold out tickets for the 12 hall concerts in six cities (Osaka, Niigata, Fukuoka, Okayama, Shizuika, Hokkaido) and four arena concerts in two cities (Kobe, Tokyo), for a total of 16 concerts. On March 14 short film CAMP, starring Jang Keun Suk and directed by him, was officially released as a DVD (full name Jang Keun Suk Special short Film DVD CAMP), and it debuted #1 on Oricon Weekly Film chart. CAMP was filmed entirely in Jeju Island in October 2013.
On September 5, 2015 "Jang Keun Suk Live in Seoul 2015" was held at Jangchoong Stadium in Seoul. It was Jang's first solo concert in Korea in three years. On October 24 Jang held a concert in Shanghai which was a comeback concert in China since 2013, followed by 4 concerts in Japan in the end of November. On October 20 the same year, Jang was appointed as one of the as the first domestic university "Sharing Professor" by Hanyang university. On December 10 and 19, 2015 held his first special lectures. On December 7 it was announced that Jang accepted to be MC and a mentor in the new musical survival show of Mnet Produce 101. Its 11 episodes premiered on January 6, 2016.
On July 2, 2016, Jang kicked off his Asia tour "It's Show Time", performing in Seoul, Japan and China. The concerts held in Shenzen and Shanghai were streamed online by various platforms. From August 18 starred in the new reality show of tvN's My Ear's Candy. for 10 consecutive weeks. 
|2000||School 3||Kang Won-seok's younger brother|
|2001||Ladies of the Palace||young Jeong Ryeom|
|2001||Four Sisters||young Lee Young-hoon|
|2002||The Great Ambition||young Park Si-young|
|2005||Lovers in Prague||Yoon Gun-hee|
|2006||Hwang Jini||Kim Eun-ho|
|2008||Hong Gil-dong||Lee Chang-hwi|
|2008||Beethoven Virus||Kang Gun-woo|
|2009||You're Beautiful||Hwang Tae-kyung|
|2010||Mary Stayed Out All Night||Kang Mu-gyul|
|2011||Ikemen desu ne||Himself||Cameo, Episode 8|
|2012||Love Rain||Seo In-ha/Seo Joon|
|2013||Pretty Man||Dokgo Ma-te|
|2003||The Owl Museum||Lee Jung-woo||Short film|
|2006||One Missed Call: Final||Ahn Jin-wo||Japanese film|
|2007||The Happy Life||Park Hyeon-jun|
|2008||Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do||Shin Eun-gyu|
|2008||Baby and I||Han Joon-soo|
|2008||Crazy Waiting||Park Won-jae|
|2009||The Case of Itaewon Homicide||Robert J. Pearson|
|2011||Budapest diary||Keun-Suk||Short film|
|2011||You're My Pet||Kang In-ho ("Momo")|
|2015||Camp||Film director & lead role||Short film|
|2007||Inkigayo||Co-host with Kim Heechul|
|2012||The Center of the New Hallyu, I Am Jang Keun-suk|
|2012||Sekai no Purinsu e! Chan Gunsoku ~ 24 sai no Sugao~|
|2012||Happy Camp||Guest ep. June 16, 2012|||
|2014||The Return of Superman||Guest, episodes 39 & 48|
|2016||Produce 101||Mentor and MC|
|2016||Candy In My Ear||Main cast|
|"Black Engine"||Himself||Debut Single|
|"We Can Make It"||Tim Hwang and Son Hoyoung|
|2010||"Magic Drag"||Jang Keun-suk feat. Hyolyn|
|2011||"Let Me Cry"||Himself|
|2012||"Crazy Crazy Crazy"||Himself|
|2012||"Can't Stop"||Team H|
|2013||"I See You (ICU)"||Jang Keun-suk and Park Min-young|||
|2013||"I Just Wanna Have Fun"||Team H|
|2013||"Beautiful Change"||Team H|
|2013||"Feel The Beat"||Team H||directed by Zanybros|
|2013||"What is Your Name?"||Team H|
|2014||"Dream Journey in Jeju"||Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye|||
|2014||"Raining on the Dance Floor"||Team H||Driving to the Highway|
|2014||"Take Me"||Team H||Driving to the Highway|
|2016||"Darling Darling "||Himself||Debut Single|||
|2016||"Endless Summer "||Himself||Debut Single|||
|2016||"Like A Zombie"||Team H||Monologue|||
|2016||"I Want To Hug You"||Himself||Debut Single|||
Awards and nominations
|2006||Mnet Top 100||Charming Guys Who are Single||N/A||Won|
|Adorable Males||N/A||Rank #29|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple Award (with Ha Ji-won)||Hwang Jini||Won|
|Best New Actor||Nominated|
|2007||Mnet Top 100||Must Have Males||N/A||Rank #3|
|10th Director's Cut Awards||Best New Actor||The Happy Life||Won|
|28th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|6th Korean Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|2008||44th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Won|
|17th Buil Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|45th Grand Bell Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|2nd Korea Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||Beethoven Virus||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Hong Gil-dong||Nominated|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Won|
|Best Couple Award (with Sung Yu-ri)||Nominated|
|2009||46th Grand Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actor||The Case of Itaewon Homicide||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||You're Beautiful||Nominated|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2010||46th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||The Case of Itaewon Homicide||Won|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Top Buzz Male Korea Star||N/A||Won|||
|Top Buzz Male Asia Star||N/A||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Mary Stayed Out All Night||Nominated|
|Netizen Award, Actor||Won|
|Best Couple Award (with Moon Geun-young)||Won|
|2011||15th Global Chinese Music Awards||Most Popular Korean Artist||N/A||Won|
|Korean Popular Culture and Arts Awards||Commendation from the Ministry of Culture and Finance||N/A||Won|
|19th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Hallyu Grand Prize||N/A||Won|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Taiwan Top Searched Single Korean Artist||N/A||Won|||
|2012||26th Japan Gold Disc Awards||Best 3 New Artists (with 2PM and B2ST)||N/A||Won|||
|10th IFPI Hong Kong Record Sales Awards||Best Selling Album (with Big Brother)||The Lounge H Vol. 1||Won|
|Best Korean Album (with Big Brother)||Won|
|48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||You're My Pet||Won|
|Huading Awards||Top 100 Asian Celebrities||N/A||Rank #3|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Love Rain||Nominated|
|2013||27th Japan Gold Disc Awards||Best 3 Albums||Just Crazy||Won|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Pretty Man||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award (with IU)||Nominated|
|2016||5th APAN Star Awards||Best actor in a serial drama (excellence award)||Jackpot||Nominated|||
|SBS Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Won|
|K-Wave Star Award||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award (with Yeo Jin-goo)||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars Award||Won|
- "Prince of Asia's fans in Busan".
- "Jang Jang is surprised by his own popularity in Paris".
- "Jang Keun-suk game gives fans chance at romance". Korea Herald. September 24, 2013. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Nelson College Old Boys' Register, 1856–2006, 6th edition
- "Review of "The Case of the Itaewon Homicide"". Beyond Hollywood.
- "Review of "The Case of Itaewon Homicide"". London Korean Links.
- チャン・グンソク、海外歌手史上初のデビュー作初登場首位. Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. May 3, 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- Japan goes 'Crazy' over Jang Jang – June 13, 2012, Manila Bulletin, Phils.
- Jang Keun-Suk. Asian-wiki. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- (Chinese) 张根硕首张韩文专辑预购 韩星经纪
- Jang Jang to release his first Chinese album. Allkpop.com (October 12, 2011). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- (Japanese) チャン・グンソクのユニット“Team H”が日本上陸 Oricon. January 18, 2012.
- Jang Jang to Debut as Unit Group "Team H" in Japan. Soompi.com (January 18, 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- (Japanese)  PONYCANYON
- (Korean) 장근석, 日오리콘 일간·주간차트 '싹쓸이' Nate
- "Jang Jang to Release Cookbook on June 10". Soompi. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Jin, Eun-soo (January 13, 2015). "Three Meals a Day spawns spinoff". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Jang Geun-suk’s agency fires back. Koreatimesus.com (January 14, 2015). Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Doo, Rumy (January 16, 2015). "Jang Geun-suk drops out of TV show after tax evasion report". The Korea Herald.
- Sung, So-young (January 20, 2015). "Jang Keun-suk apologizes to his fans". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Jang Keun-suk released new album ‘Monochrome’ in Japan and won the third place on Oricon. Jangkeunsukforever.com (February 26, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Oricon weekly chart. Oricon.co.jp (March 9, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- March 10, 2015 [article] Jang Keun Suk to Launch ‘The Cri Show 3’ in Eight Cities Around Japan
- Hallyu star Jang Geun-suk’s film tops Japan chart. Kpopherald.com (March 26, 2015). Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Lee Mi-Ji (March 25, 2015) Jang Keun Suk's short film, 'CAMP,' debuts #1 on Japan's Oricon Chart. Sg.entertainment.yahoo.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Oricon daily chart[dead link]
- Jang Keun Suk successfully finishes his solo concert in Seoul. Starn.hankyung.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Star cast. M.star.naver.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- 장근석, 한-중-일 공연으로 아시아 팬들 집결. topstarnews (May 18, 2013). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- (Korean) 장근석, 한양대 나눔 교수로 위촉 "강연 준비 박차". M.entertain.naver.com (October 21, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- (Korean) star cast. M.star.naver.com (December 13, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Jang Geun Suk to Mentor Trainees in Mnet’s Girl Group Survival Program, “Produce 101”. Soompi.com (December 7, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Jang Geun Suk makes a successful comeback with 'Produce 101'. Starn.hankyung.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- [プレビュー(ディレクターズカット版)] チャン・グンソクがMCを務めるサバイバルプログラム 「PRODUCE 101」がMnetで4/8(金)放送開始！. YouTube. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Julie Jones (January 29, 2016) Jang Geun Suk Is Getting Ready For His Second Act. kdramastars. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- (Korean) 장근석 '대박' 확정 "타짜 대길로 연기 2막 열겠다". M.entertain.naver.com (January 28, 2016). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Singer-actor Jang Keun-suk completes Asia tour. Yonhapnews (May 9, 2013). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Jang Geun Suk’s special of China’s “Happy Camp” tops ratings. Dkpopnews.net (June 19, 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- "Jang Jang and Park Min Young release "ICU" MV for Tongyi CF". April 15, 2013.
- "Watch their romantic journey in Jeju and feel the love between them". July 30, 2014.
- Official MV. YouTube.com (February 14, 2015). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Official Vevo channel of Jang Keun Suk. YouTube.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Universal music Japan. YouTube.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Jang Keun Suk's Vevo channel. YouTube.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Jang Keun Suk's Vevo channel. YouTube.com (October 29, 2016). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Jang Geun Seok Wins Two 2010 Yahoo Buzz Awards. Ockoala.wordpress.com (December 4, 2010). Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
- Super Junior Sweeps Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards. Asiaenglish.visitkorea.or.kr. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- Girls’ Generation, KARA, TVXQ, 2PM, Jang Jang, and B2ST awarded at 26th Japan Gold Disc Awards. Allkpop.com. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- (Chinese) 宫崎骏成龙张根硕位列三甲 凤凰网资讯. May 9, 2012.
- "Girls' Generation, KARA, Big Bang and more win at the Japan Gold Disc Awards 2013". DailyKPopNews. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- R. Jun (September 26, 2016) Stars Of “W,” “Descendants Of The Sun,” “Reply 1988,” And More Nominated For 2016 APAN Star Awards. Soompi. Retrieved on 2017-01-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jang Keun-suk.|