Kapoor in 2018
|Relatives||See Kapoor family|
Janhvi Kapoor (born 7 March 1997) is an Indian actress who works in Hindi films. Born to Sridevi and Boney Kapoor, she made her acting debut in 2018 with the romantic drama film Dhadak, which was a commercial success and earned her the Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut.
Janhvi Kapoor was born on 7 March 1997 to the actress Sridevi and the film producer Boney Kapoor. She has one younger sister, Khushi, and two half siblings, actor Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor. She is the niece of actors Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor. She studied at Dhirubhai Ambani International School in Mumbai. Before making her film debut, she took an acting course from Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in California.
Kapoor made her acting debut in 2018 with the Shashank Khaitan-directed romance Dhadak, co-starring Ishaan Khatter. A Hindi-language remake of the 2016 Marathi film Sairat, it featured her as a young upper-class girl whose life turns tragic after she elopes with a lower-class boy (played by Khatter). The film received predominantly negative reviews, but with a worldwide collection of ₹1.1 billion, it proved to be a commercial success. Writing for CNN-News18, Rajeev Masand criticised the film for removing caste-based references and deemed it inferior to the original, but felt Kapoor had "a fragility that makes her instantly endearing, and a soulful quality that makes it hard to take your eyes off her on screen". Conversely, Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost thought that she "lacks personality and delivers a colourless performance". She won the Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut. In the same year, the cosmetics brand Nykaa selected Kapoor to be their brand ambassador.
Kapoor's next screen appearance came in 2020 when she starred in Zoya Akhtar's segment in the Netflix horror anthology film Ghost Stories. Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express disliked the segments but added that the "only real surprise comes from Janhvi Kapoor in a solid, real act". She will portray the titular role of aviator Gunjan Saxena in the biopic Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl and play a dual role opposite Rajkummar Rao in the comedy horror film Roohi Afzana. She will also star alongside Kartik Aaryan and Laksh Lalwani in a standalone sequel to the 2008 romantic comedy Dostana, alongside Varun Dhawan and Bhumi Pednekar in the action comedy Mr Lele, and play a slave girl in Karan Johar's ensemble period film Takht.
|Film or show that is yet to be released|
|2018||Dhadak||Parthavi Singh Rathore||Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut|
|2020||Ghost Stories||Sameera||Netflix anthology film; Zoya Akhtar's segment|
|2020||Gunjan Saxena||Gunjan Saxena||Post-production|
|2020||Roohi Afzana||Roohi Arora/ Afzana Bedi||Post-production|
- "Janhvi Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Janhvi Kapoor shares a throwback picture of Boney Kapoor and late Sridevi". Business Standard. June 2, 2019.
- "Arjun Kapoor, Khushi, Anshula come together for father Boney Kapoor at Maidaan mahurat ceremony. See pics". Hindustan Times. August 22, 2019.
- "Dhadak: Critics give film thumbs down". Gulf News. 21 July 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "The Real Winner With Dhadak". Box Office India. 25 July 2018. Archived from the original on 25 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of Dhadak". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 2 August 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Masand, Rajeev (20 July 2018). "Caste Away". RajeevMasand.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "Dhadak movie review: Janhvi-Ishaan are so-so in an insipid Sairat remake that is afraid to discuss caste". First Post.
- "Zee Cine Awards full winners list: Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone win big". India Today. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Girls should be unapologetic about what they want: Janhvi Kapoor". Business Standard. 12 September 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Farzeen, Sana (31 December 2019). "Janhvi Kapoor: Working with Zoya Akhtar was my biggest takeaway from Ghost Stories". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- Gupta, Shubhra (31 December 2019). "Ghost Stories review: Where are the scares?". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Janhvi Kapoor a sincere and hardworking actor: Rajkummar Rao on Rooh-Afza co-star". New Indian Express. July 14, 2019. Retrieved July 25, 2019.
- "Photo: Janhvi Kapoor's first look as Gunjan Saxena - India's first female combat aviator". The Times of India. December 26, 2018.
- "Janhvi Kapoor shooting in Lucknow". The Times of India. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Janhvi Kapoor preps up for 'Takht'". The Times of India. November 16, 2018.
- "Kartik Aaryan and Janhvi Kapoor in Dostana 2, announces Karan Johar". India Today. 27 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Mr Lele gets a release date". Mumbai Mirror. 13 January 2020. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Janhvi Kapoor to gain weight for Kargil Girl after losing 10kg for RoohiAfza". India Today. July 29, 2019.
- "Janhvi Kapoor kicks off Dostana 2 shoot in Amritsar with lassi and a visit to Golden Temple". Hindustan Times. 7 November 2019. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Janhvi Kapoor.|