Gavankar in 2014
|Born||Janina Zione Gavankar
November 29, 1980
Joliet, Illinois, U.S.
Janina Zione Gavankar (/ /; born November 29, 1980) is an American actress known for her role as Iden Versio in Star Wars Battlefront II, and her role as the voice of FERO, one of main protagonists in the Halo 5: Guardians promotional event, Hunt The Truth. Gavankar is also trained as a pianist, vocalist, and orchestral percussionist. She majored in Theatre Performance at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Gavankar's roles include Papi, a lesbian lothario in The L Word; Leigh Turner, a cop with a big secret on The Gates; Ms. Dewey, the personification of a Microsoft branded search engine who comments about the user's searches; Shiva, the namesake of the sought after trophy on The League; shapeshifter Luna Garza on HBO's True Blood; McKenna Hall on The CW's Arrow; and Meredith Bose on NBC's The Mysteries of Laura. She also played Diana Thomas on FOX's supernatural drama Sleepy Hollow.
Gavankar was born in Joliet, Illinois to Peter Ganesh and Mohra Gavankar. Her father was an engineer from Pune, Maharashtra, who first traveled to the US to pursue a master's degree. Her mother, Mohra, also emigrated to the US from India. Her mother is half-Indian and half-Dutch.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gavankar has acted in theatre, film, television, and online. Her most notable roles include Papi in The L Word; Ms. Dewey, the personification of a Microsoft live search engine; Shiva, the namesake of the sought after trophy on The League; and, most recently, as a shapeshifter, Luna Garza, on HBO's True Blood. She regularly appears in Funny or Die shorts.
In 2006 she joined the cast of The L Word as a series regular, and shot all of the clips used for Ms. Dewey. In 2007, she landed a lead in CW pilot Dash 4 Cash. In 2008, Gavankar appeared in TV series Stargate Atlantis, Grey's Anatomy and NCIS, My Boys, and Factory. In 2009, she appeared in the TV shows The Cleaner, Dollhouse, Three Rivers, and The League, as well as indie movies Men, Interrupted, Indian Gangster, and Quantum Quest: A Cassini Space Odyssey. Gavankar played the voice of Nikki in Quantum Quest. She landed a lead role in The Gates, since cancelled, on ABC. She appears on CW's Arrow as a vice squad police officer and former flame to Oliver Queen.
Gavankar is an admitted gamer and has appeared on, as well as co-hosted, G4 TV's Attack of the Show!, Epileptic Gaming's Up All Night, where she helped review Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, and Army of Two.
In 2011 Gavankar became a series regular in HBO's True Blood as a public school teacher and shapeshifter, Luna Garza, who gets romantically involved with one of the main characters of the series.
Her indie movie, Satellite of Love, premiered at the Dallas International Film Festival in 2012, and her 2012 indie I'm Afraid of Virginia Wolf is currently in post-production. On December 20, 2012, Gavankar was the last person interviewed for the now cancelled Attack of the Show! which aired on G4 TV.
In 2014, she starred as Amita in the video game, Far Cry 4. She also played Detective Meredith Bose on The Mysteries of Laura from 2014 to 2016. She appeared as Iden Versio, the main character in the campaign mode of the 2017 Electronic Arts video game Star Wars Battlefront II.
She collaborated on a project for a song called "Tell Me What" in India with Pratichee Mohapatra of Viva, Deep, and Navraaz. She has had songs licensed to movies and television, and has sung and played marimba on film scores. Gavankar was featured in Russian artist Ella Leya's music video for "Wish I Could", in the music video by San Francisco-based band Recliner for their single "Float Away", as well as the music video for Manu Narayan's band Darunam.
In August 2012, she released the single for her upcoming EP, entitled Waiting for Godot, and in November, Billboard premiered the official music video. It went on to win numerous film festival awards.
While in high school, Gavankar auditioned for the front ensemble of the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps of Rockford, Illinois. Before hearing whether she had made the corps, she was accepted for the Yale School of Drama's summer camp, and went there. "I fell in love with drum corps when I was 13 years old", Gavankar has stated, and remains a strong fan of the activity. When she heard the Martin Garrix/Usher collaboration, "Don't Look Down", she had the idea of performing it as marching music. With assistance from Drum Corps International, she contacted the Jersey Surf Drum and Bugle Corps and arranger Colin Bell. She went into the studios in New York with fifty members of Jersey Surf and recorded the music video "Don't Look Down- #JustAddDrumCorps Edition" that was released in April 2015.
Gavankar was the personification of Microsoft's interactive search engine Ms. Dewey. In 2011 she created a free template for actors and artists to help them control their online presence and in 2012, spoke at the Suits and Spooks Conference about how she discovered a solution for data challenges faced by actors through the use of open source tools.
|2001||Why Is God...||Mina||Short|
|2005||Cup of My Blood||Iona|
|2010||Quantum Quest: A Cassini Space Odyssey||Niki (voice)|
|2010||Men, Interrupted||Cece Twain||Short|
|2011||Custom Mary, TheThe Custom Mary||Ms. Rime|
|2011||Victory or Death||Selah||Short|
|2012||Satellite of Love||Michelle|
|2013||Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?||Katia Amour / The Stud|
|2013||Final Moments of Karl Brant, TheThe Final Moments of Karl Brant||Det. Hostetler||Short|
|2014||Code Academy||Madame Counselor||Short|
|2014||Think Like a Man Too||Vanessa|
|2004||Strong Medicine||Nurse Juni||"Omissions"|
|2007–2009||L Word, TheThe L Word||Eva 'Papi' Torres||Recurring role|
|2008||My Boys||Terri||"The Transitioning"|
|2008||Stargate Atlantis||Sgt. 'Dusty' Mehra||"Whispers"|
|2008||Grey's Anatomy||Intern Lisa||"There's No 'I' in Team", "Life During Wartime"|
|2009||Cleaner, TheThe Cleaner||Usha Patel||"The Projectionist", "Trick Candles"|
|2009||Three Rivers||Ada Rahimi||"Place of Life"|
|2009–2015||League, TheThe League||Shivakamini Somakandarkram||Recurring role|
|2010||Gates, TheThe Gates||Leigh Turner||Main role|
|2011||Traffic Light||Alexa||Recurring role|
|2011–2013||True Blood||Luna Garza||Main role (seasons 4–5), recurring role (season 6)|
|2012||Exes, TheThe Exes||Kerry||"My Dinner with Phil"|
|2012||Choke.Kick.Girl: The Series||Katie||"Hammerfist, Knee, Guillotine Fiend"|
|2013||Love Is Dead||Marisol Rajagopal||TV film|
|2013||Arrow||Det. McKenna Hall||Recurring role|
|2013||Goodwin Games, TheThe Goodwin Games||Hannah||"The Birds of Granby"|
|2013||Just Face It||Ava||TV miniseries|
|2013||Husbands||Kajal||"I Dream of Cleaning"|
|2013||Vampire Diaries, TheThe Vampire Diaries||Qetsiyah / "Tessa"||Recurring role (season 5)|
|2014||Nikki & Nora: The N&N Files||Lea Sadina||Recurring role|
|2014||Garfunkel and Oates||Dr. Sharma||"Third Member"|
|2014–2016||Mysteries of Laura, TheThe Mysteries of Laura||Meredith Bose||Main role|
|2015||History of Us, TheThe History of Us||Sabrina||TV film|
|2017||Sleepy Hollow||Diana Thomas||Main role (season 4)|
|2014||Far Cry 4||Amita||Voice|
|2017||Horizon Zero Dawn||Tatai||Voice|
|2017||Star Wars Battlefront II||Iden Versio||Voice, likeness, and motion capture|
- "Janina Gavankar — Shape shifting Stunner". FHM. Archived from the original on 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- "Stephen Moyer is Such A Proud Father". Us Weekly. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Desi designer wear at Grammys red carpet". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- Nguyen, Bernie (2006-11-06). "Ask Janina". Nirali Magazine. p. Arts. Retrieved 2007-01-28.
- Swartz, Shauna (January 4, 2007). "Interview With The L Word's Janina Gavankar". AfterEllen.com. Viacom International Inc. Archived from the original on May 12, 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "Recent Grads Find Success". UIC Alumni. September–October 2004. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- Miriam E. Sweeney (2013). "Not just a pretty (inter)face: A critical analysis of Microsoft's 'Ms. Dewey'" (PDF). University of Illinois. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
As one of my co-workers typed in different words and phrases, the “Ms. Dewey” character (pre-recorded film footage of actress, Janina Gavankar) engages in flirtatious banter, sometimes becoming irritated or condescending if too much time passes before entering a search term: “Hellloooo... type something here!”
- Khan, Natasha. "Janina Gavankar profile". SAPNA Magazine. p. Arts + Entertainment. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Janina Gavankar profile". funnyordie.com. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- "Breaking News - Development Update: Wednesday-Thursday, April 4–5". thefutoncritic.com.
- "'Prison Break' actor joins ABC's 'Gates'". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2010-10-13. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Janina Gavankar Talks True Blood, Video Games & More". G4tv.com.
- "Epileptic Gaming's "Up All Night"". Wire.ggl.com. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "True Blood Promotes Jessica Tuck; Adds Three New Actresses". TVGuide.com. Retrieved November 29, 2010.
- "Janina Gavankar on Comic-Con, Playing a Shapeshifter, and Why She'd Totally Love to Watch True Blood with You - Exclusive - True Blood". Wetpaint.com. 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Official Site of "Satellite of Love"".
- "IMDb page for "I'm Afraid of Virginia Wolf"".
- "'True Blood' Star Janina Gavankar Joins 'The Vampire Diaries'". The Inquisitr News.
- Raftery, Liz (August 14, 2013). "Exclusive: CW's Web Series Husbands Adds Cast Members from True Blood, CollegeHumor". tvguide.com. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "Janina Gavankar talks about her role in Far Cry 4". Archived from the original on November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- "Janina Gavankar Joins 'The Mysteries Of Laura', Brandon Smith In 'One Big Happy'". Deadline.com. March 13, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- "Star Wars: Battlefront II (Video Game 2017)". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "Janina Gavankar - Love Lockdown". YouTube. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Anokhi Sexy & Successful - Janina Gavankar". Anokhi Magazine. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Ella Leya's "Wish I Could"". Youtube.com. 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Recliner's "Float Away"". sausagefilms.com. Archived from the original on 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Darunam's "All That's Beautiful Must Die"". Livevideo.com. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Andrew Martin. "Premiere: Janina Gavankar "Waiting For Godot"". Complex.
- "True Blood's Janina Gavankar: Exclusive Video Premiere". Billboard.
- "Simplicity makes 'Waiting for Godot' top music video of 2013 (Includes interview)". digitaljournal.com.
- "WAITING FOR GODOT". Winter Film Awards. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- "Jersey Surf helps Janina Gavankar unleash her inner band geek". Drum Corps International. April 15, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Best Buddies New York Benefit Concert - Elaine Kwon and Friends - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - Carnegie Hall". carnegiehall.org.
- Bilton, Nick (September 30, 2014). Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal. USA: Portfolio. p. 102. ISBN 1591847087.
- Janina Gavankar Cements Geek Cred on Attack of the Show!, trueblood-news.com; accessed January 9, 2016.
- "Spending time with Ms. Dewey". NPR Marketplace Tech. 2006-12-13. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Janina Gavankar: 'True Blood' Shapeshifter Goes Posterous On Her Industry". Forbes. 2011-11-05. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Suits and Spooks". taiaglobal.com. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Asian Excellence Awards Nominee List[permanent dead link]
- True Blood and Social Media Star Janina Gavankar to Receive Gravity Summit's Excellence in Social Media/Entertainment Award
- Petski, Denise (July 22, 2016). "'Sleepy Hollow': Janina Gavankar Cast As Ichabod Crane's New Partner". Deadline. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Janina Gavankar.|