|Janina Sara Ramirez|
Janina Sara Maria Maleczek|
7 July 1980
St Anne's College, Oxford |
University of York
Janina Sara Maria Ramirez (née Maleczek; 7 July 1980), sometimes credited as Nina Ramirez, is a British art and cultural historian and TV presenter, based in Woodstock, Oxfordshire. She specialises in interpreting symbols and examining works of art, within their own historical context.
Ramirez went to school in Slough. She gained a degree in English literature, specialising in Old and Middle English, from St Anne's College, Oxford, before completing her postgraduate studies at the Centre for Medieval Studies, University of York. She completed an art/literature PhD on the symbolism of birds, which led to a lectureship in York's Art History Department, followed by lecturing posts at the University of Winchester, University of Warwick, and University of Oxford.
Ramirez is currently the course director on the Certificate in History of Art at Oxford University's Department for Continuing Education.
- Treasures of the Anglo-Saxons, BBC Four, August 2010
- The Viking Sagas, BBC Four, May 2011
- Britain's Most Fragile Treasure, BBC Four, October 2011
- Illuminations: The Private Lives of Medieval Kings, 3-part series, BBC Four, January 2012
- Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Years' War, 3-part series, BBC Four, February 2013
- Architects of the Divine: The First Gothic Age, BBC Four, October 2014
- Saints and Sinners: Britain's Millennium of Monasteries, 3-part series, BBC Four, February 2015
- The Quizeum, A museum-based quiz panel show, BBC Four, April 2015 
- The Search for the Lost Manuscript: Julian of Norwich, BBC Four, July 2016
- An Art Lover's Guide, BBC Four, May 2017
- In Search of Arcadia, BBC Four, August 2017
- England's Reformation: Three Books that Changed a Nation, BBC Four, October 2017
- Art on BBC: The Genius of Leonardo Da Vinci, BBC Four, May 2018
Ramirez and her Spanish husband have two children.
- Hughes, Tim (8 October 2015). "Medieval treasure: Meet Janina Ramirez – the woman making history hip". The Oxford Times. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Course details: Undergraduate Certificate in History of Art". Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Treasures of the Anglo Saxons at BBC Programmes
- The Viking Sagas at BBC Programmes
- Ramirez, Janina (May 2011). "The Sagas of Iceland: Creating Terra Nova". History Today. 61 (5). Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Britain's Most Fragile Treasure at BBC Programmes
- Illuminations: The Private Lives of Medieval Kings at BBC Programmes
- Auty, Louise (26 January 2012). "Ramirez 'illuminates' the world of England's long dead kings". Digital Journal. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Years War at BBC Programmes
- Architects of the Divine: The First Gothic Age at BBC Programmes
- Saints and Sinners: Britain's Millennium of Monasteries at BBC Programmes
- Programme website & credits
- "In Search of Arcadia". BBC Four. 9 August 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.