|Education||Parsons School of Design, Art Students League of New York|
|Alma mater||Parsons School of Design|
|Known for||Encaustic painting|
Janise Yntema (born March 29, 1962) is an American painter working in the ancient wax encaustic technique. Yntema was born in New Jersey and attended Parsons School of Design and the Art Students League of New York. She has had solo exhibitions in New York and throughout the United States as well as London, Amsterdam and Brussels. Her works are in the collections of several museums in Europe and the United States, including the Museum of Modern Art and Metropolitan Museum of Art.
She works and lives in Brussels, Belgium.
Early life and education
Janise Yntema was born in 1962 in New Jersey. She attended St John the Divine Stoneyard Institute. Yntema studied at the Art Students League of New York in 1979. From 1980 to 1984, she studied at Parsons School of Design, where she received her Bachelor of Fine Arts.
Her paintings are created from numerous layers of translucent applications of pigmented wax that are fused together with a blowtorch to create a smooth and glossy skin-like surface. Yntema has worked in marble dust, aluminum, iron powder, wood and wax. She said in 1996 that her body of work "makes reference towards figuration and landscape, but is abstracted and abbreviated to encompass the initial intensity of the physical gesture."
In 1991, Yntema was asked to join A.I.R. Gallery. That year she edited Portrait of a Mile Square City: Stories from Hoboken, written by David Plakke. One of her works was shown in a 2003 edition of House & Garden.
By 1996, Yntema had participated in more than 60 group exhibitions and 10 solo exhibits in New Jersey and New York. Some of her exhibitions are:
- 1993 - Solo exhibition, A.I.R. Gallery, New York City, NY
- 1994 - Williams Center for the Arts, Rutherford, New Jersey
- 1994 - The Definitive Decade - Aljira - Center for Contemporary Art, Newark, NJ
- 1995 - New Jersey Arts Annual 1995 Fine Arts - Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ
- 1995 - City Without Walls 20th Anniversary Exhibition - City Without Walls (cWOW), Newark, NJ
- 1995 - Paintings and Constructions, solo exhibition - A.I.R. Gallery, New York City, NY
- 1996 - Slide presentation of her work, Westfield Community Room, Westfield, New Jersey.
- 1997 - Recent Work, solo exhibition - A.I.R. Gallery, New York City, NY
- 1997 - Mixed Media, Simon Gallery, New York
- 1998 - Mixed Media, Simon Gallery, New York
- 2009 - Still, Cadogan Contemporary, London, UK
- 2010 - Fahrenheit 180: A Group Encaustic Exhibition, Ann Street Gallery, Newburgh, NY
- 2011 - Winter solo exhibition - Galerie Josine Bokhoven, Amsterdam
- 2012 - Beth Namenwirth & Janise Yntema - Galerie Josine Bokhoven, Amsterdam
- 2014 - Gothic Light- Libre Choix Cabinet Artistique, Bruxelles
- 2015 - The Quiet Landscape, Cadogan Contemporary.
- 2015 - The Temperature of Light, Kean University, Nancy Dryfoos Gallery, Union, New Jersey
- 2016 - Le Paysage Tranquille, Galerie Marie Demange, Brussels, Belgium
Yntema's work is included in the permanent collections of the following institutions:
- Amherst College, Amherst, MA
- Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Brooklyn Museum of Art, Library Collections, Brooklyn, NY
- Carnegie Institute Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, PA
- Cincinnati Museum of Art, Cincinnati, OH
- Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, Norman, OK
- Gutenberg Museum, Mainz, Germany
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York NY
- Milwaukee Arts Museum, Milwaukee, WI
- Museum of Modern Art, Library Collections, New York, NY
- National Museum for Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C.
- Provincetown Art Association and Museum, Provincetown, MA
- Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, CT
- "Janise Yntema". ArtFacts. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Artist to display work for association members" (PDF). The Times, Westfield, New Jersey (via jointlibrary.org). 10 October 1996. p. 24. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Pieter-Rim and Maarten de Kroon (2003). "Dutch Light, A Documentary". The Netherlands.
- "Janise Yntema biography". Cadogan Contemporary. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "A.I.R. Apparent". The Hudson Current. New Jersey. 4 (38): 6. May 11, 1995.
- "First all-female cooperative gallery in the United States". MuseumsUSA. Retrieved October 2, 2009.
- David Plakke (1991). Janise Yntema, ed. Portrait of a Mile Square City: Stories from Hoboken. Art Ink Press.
- "House & Garden". 58 (7-12). Condé Nast Publications, Limited. 2003: 156.
- "Janise Yntema". A.I.R. Gallery. Archived from the original on 6 January 2014. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Janise Yntema". ArtSlant. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Janise Yntema". Cadogan Contemporary. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "BEST BETS". The Record. Bergen County, NJ: North Jersey Media Group (via HighBeam Research, subscription required). June 6, 1994. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "On the Towns". The New York Times. 31 December 1997. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "On the Towns". The New York Times. 4 January 1998. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Janise Yntema; Cadogan Contemporary (2009). Still: Janise Yntema : 20th October-6th November, 2009. Cadogan Contemporary.
- Cadogan Contemporary; Janise Yntema (2015). The Quiet Landscape: Janise Yntema. Cadogan Contemporary.
- "Janise Yntema, The Temperature of Light, Kean University, The Nancy Dryfoos Gallery 2015". Issuu Janise Yntema The Temperature of Light. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Art Now Gallery Guide: International. Art Now, Inc. January 1996. p. 18.
- Robin Kahn (November 1995). Time capsule: a concise encyclopedia by women artists. Creative Time in cooperation with SOS Int'l. p. 19.
- International Dictionary of Artists. World Wide Aret Books. 2011. ISBN 978-0980207941.
- "Order in Chaos". The Villager. New York. 62 (50): 16. May 1993.
- Risk. Risk Magazine, Limited. July 2004. p. 6.
- Jacquelyn Tuerk Stonberg, Ph.D. (2009). "'Gothic Light,' Janise Yntema". Art in Context.
- Women's Art Movement, Women's Caucus for Art National Conference, Chicago, IL, 12 Feb. 1992, Tape #WC7
- Cap Sur 2016, Guy Gilsoul, Juliette et Victor Magazine, December/January 2015/2016 no.52, page 55
- Le Peintre et les Abeilles Guy Gilsoul, January 17, 2016, Le Vif Express, Belgique
- "Le peintre et les abeilles". levif.be. 2016-01-17. Retrieved 2016-03-31.