|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kunal Deshmukh|
|Produced by||Mukesh Bhatt|
|Story by||Shagufta Rafiq|
|Distributed by||Vishesh Films|
|Budget||₹280 million (US$4.2 million)|
|Box office||₹400 million (US$5.9 million) (10 days nett)|
Jannat 2 (English: Heaven 2) is a 2012 Indian crime thriller film and the sequel to the 2008 film, Jannat. The film is written by Shagufta Rafiq, directed by Kunal Deshmukh, produced by Mahesh Bhatt and Mukesh Bhatt and features Emraan Hashmi, Randeep Hooda and Esha Gupta in lead roles. The storyline is based on the issue of illegal arms in Delhi. The movie was given an 'A' certificate from the Indian Censor Board due to its violent content and language. The film released on 4 May 2012, to mixed reviews and was declared a "semi-hit" at the box office.
Sonu's world is shaken to the core when he realises, after his marriage to Jhanvi, that Jhanvi's estranged father, Mangal Singh Tomar (Manish Choudhary), is actually the leader of the guns/arms business in Delhi. Soon enough, Sonu becomes a police informant for ACP Pratap, who has been looking for Mangal. Becoming a police informant, Sonu manages to convince Mangal that he is a corrupt and shrewd person who will be of use to his gang. Mangal embraces Sonu as his next in command. Sonu, caught between the devil and the deep sea, starts playing a double game. He neither gives information to the ACP, nor tells Mangal the truth about him being a police informer. Secretly he plans to run away with Jhanvi, so that he can live a peaceful life with her. However, things get risky once a mysterious informer in the police force tells Mangal about Sonu's truth.
During a shootout, Mangal finds out the truth about Sonu, and takes his whole gang after him. Sonu, on the run, rings ACP Pratap for help. Pratap then brings his whole police force to the scene. There, Sonu is surrounded by Mangal's gang, which is then gunned down by the police chief commissioner. With only Sonu, Mangal and the chief left, it turns out that the chief is actually Mangal's informer, and they both chase Sonu to a deserted area. There, Sonu meets Pratap and tells him he is done and leaves to go to his wife. However he is shot by the chief. Pratap, seeing Sonu get killed, shoots the chief commissioner and Mangal multiple times, leading to their deaths.
In the hospital, during Sonu's last words, he tells Pratap that his wife Jhanvi should not know about his death, and Pratap should tell her that he was a criminal who committed a robbery and ran away. After his death, Pratap goes to his house and informs Jhanvi that Sonu ran away from the city. Jhanvi, heartbroken, thinks straight and forgets Sonu, and moves away to carry on life as normal.
- Emraan Hashmi as Sonu Dilli "KKC" (Kutti Kameeni Cheez)
- Esha Gupta as Dr. Jhanvi Singh Tomar
- Randeep Hooda as ACP Pratap Raghuvanshi
- Manish Chaudhary as Mangal Singh Tomar
- Sumeet Nijhawan as Sarfaraz
- Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub as Balli
- Brijendra Kala as Dadda (ACP's Assistant)
- Arif Zakaria as Police Chief
Jannat 2 began filming in October 2011, at the lines of Delhi Airport Metro Express. The shooting finally completed on 17 January 2012. The title of the film was earlier known as Informer and then Blood Money, however these titles didn't receive positive feedback, therefore director Kunal Deshmukh decided to make the film a sequel to Jannat. Many actresses such as Prachi Desai, Esha Gupta, Kangana Ranaut, Jacqueline Fernandez, Paoli Dam and others were reported to be assigned as the female lead of the film, however, Gupta was chosen amongst the others.
Mumbai based writer Kapil Chopra has filed a case against Bhatt's for stealing his script for Jannat 2. The Bombay High Court has asked the Bhatts to deposit Rs 1 million for the alleged plagiarism.
|Soundtrack album by Pritam|
|Released||30 March 2012|
|1.||"Jannatein Kahan"||Mayur Puri||K. K.||3:48|
|2.||"Jannatein Kahan (Power Ballad)"||Mayur Puri||Nikhil D'Souza||4:31|
|3.||"Tu Hi Mera"||Sayeed Qadri||Shafqat Amanat Ali||4:33|
|4.||"Tera Deedar Hua"||Sayeed Qadri||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||5:47|
|5.||"Tera Deedar Hua (From The Heart)"||Sayeed Qadri||Javed Ali||5:46|
|6.||"Tujhe Sochta Hoon"||Sayeed Qadri||K. K.||5:14|
|7.||"Sang Hoon Tere (Tujhe Sochta Hoon)"||Sayeed Qadri||Nikhil D'Souza||4:24|
|8.||"Rab Ka Shukraana"||Sayeed Qadri||Mohit Chauhan||4:59|
|9.||"Rab Ka Shukraana (Reprise)"||Sayeed Qadri||Anupam Amod||4:37|
|10.||"Party Nights"||Sayeed Qadri, Mayur Puri||K. K., Shafqat Amanat Ali, Nikhil D'Souza, Javed Ali & Anupam Amod||2:32|
The soundtrack of Jannat 2 received positive reviews.
Jitendra Tiwari of Bollywood Hungama gave the album 4/5 stars, saying that "Jannat 2 is a terrific album which has practically each and every song working for it. A genre album which has love forming an integral part of the affairs, it ensures that each of the songs complement each other in a seamless manner." Satyajit of Glamsham gave the album 4/5 stars, stating that "JANNAT 2 delivers entertainment, entertainment and entertainment for all rock and sufi music lovers, and should probably add one more musical success in the connoisseur's kitty. Worth-a-buy!!!" The Times of India gave the album 4/5 stars, concluding that "The music of " Jannat 2" lives up to your expectations and is an absolute delight for music lovers. Thumbs-up to "Jannat 2" music." Atta Khan of Planet Bollywood gave the album 7.5/10 stars, saying that "Jannat 2 is undoubtedly a good soundtrack but it doesn't come with a special aura that the original carried – this is precisely why it was such a big ask to follow up." Mitesh Saraf of Planet Bollywood gave the album 7.5/10 stars, stating that "Jannat 2 is a typical Pritam and Bhatt soundtrack which will definitely rule the charts for the next one month, especially "Tujhe Sochta Hu", "Rab Ka Shukrana" and "Tu Hi Mera"." Music Aloud gave the album 6.5/10 stars, concluding that "Barring a couple of songs, Jannat 2 is same old Bhatt. And I have to grudgingly accept, it still works for most part, despite the repeat."
Jannat 2 released on 4 May 2012, in 1975 screens at 1575 theatres across India.
Jannat 2 received mixed response from critics.
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film 4/5 stars, saying that "On the whole, JANNAT 2 is an engaging film with tremendous appeal for the masses. An absorbing story, a swift and coherent narrative, exemplary direction, fantastic action, soothing music and stellar performances summarize the highlights of this triumphant franchise." Gaurav Malani of Economic Times gave the film 4/5 stars, stating that "Overlook a few of its sinful indulgences and Jannat 2 can turn out to be a hell of a ride!" Indicine gave the film 3/5 stars, concluding that "Jannat 2 is a typical Bhatt film – it has a bit of everything; great music, romance, good performances, light-hearted moments and love-making scenes." Mrigank Dhaniwala of Koimoi gave the film 3/5 stars, saying that "On the whole, Jannat 2 is an entertaining fare from Vishesh Films. If you go in expecting that, you won't be disappointed." Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India gave the film 3/5 stars, stating that "Jannat 2 is a decent crime caper, but doesn't shoot you between the eyes."
Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave the film 2.5/5 stars, concluding that "I'm going with two-and-a-half out of five for director Kunal Deshmukh's Jannat 2. It could've been better, but it's not a terrible way to spend an evening out." Kanika Sikka of DNA gave the film 2/5 stars, saying that "The sequel of the 2008 film Jannat, the film is a predictable, yet partly gripping tale of a small-time brat who faces the results of his own deeds. Jannat 2 is worth a one-time watch, since there aren't many options for the movie-goers this weekend." Zee News gave the film 2/5 stars, stating that "Watch Jannat 2 for its catchy numbers (better still, buy a CD!). And since there aren't many options this weekend, you can count that as a reason to go watch the movie!" Martin D'Souza of Glamsham gave the film 2/5 stars, concluding that "Kunal Deshmukh's JANNAT 2 can be best described as patchy. The storyline lacks imagination and given this backdrop, he tries his best to weave a plot into the scenes. By the way, this film could have been called by any other name. It's not a sequel!" Mansha Rastogi of Now Running gave the film 2/5 stars, saying that "Filmmaker Kunal Deshmukh falters in bringing a semblance between the stark plot and romantic mush in the film and that's where Jannat 2 majorly lags. He gives in to a lot of cliches throughout the film for example, the deadbeat love-at-first-sight syndrome, the sudden inclination of Esha Gupta towards Emraan Hashmi or even the sequence where Randeep Hooda barges into the hospital yelling "It's an emergency, it's an emergency". Overall, Jannat 2 isn't half as enticing as its first part. Watch it for Randeep Hooda or if you are a big fan of Emraan Hashmi."
Dainik Bhaskar gave the film 1.5/5 stars, stating that "For all those Emraan's fans, who can endure anything to see him on-screen- this one's for you. But still we would say, beware. This Jannat is far away from fairytales!" Meetu of Wogma gave the film 1.5/5 stars, concluding that "Overall, Jannat 2 is another one of those standard crime romances to come out of the Bhatt stable – only less engaging than the average Vishesh Films' product." Sonia Chopra of Sify gave the film 1.5/5 stars, saying that "A tired story with cliched characters propped-up by an OD on machismo, some dialogue-baazi, and a gorgeous heroine does not a film make. At least not one worth watching." Kunal Guha of Yahoo! gave the film 1/5 stars, stating that "If there is a Jannat anywhere, it is outside the screen playing this film." Raja Sen of Rediff gave the film 1/5 stars, concluding that "A lot would have been forgiven – as it often is with these producers – if the film had either a meatier plot or a more gripping narrative, but this one's just tiresome as the obvious story drags on. A couple of chase sequences, particularly one through the arteries of a Dargah, are slickly shot, but even these lose their charm as they get needlessly long-winded."
Jannat 2 opened strongly at the box office, collecting ₹8.50 crore (US$1.3 million) nett on its first day. The movie collected ₹6.90 crore (US$1.0 million) on its second day and ₹8.75 crore (US$1.3 million) in its third day. The movie collected ₹23.50 crore (US$3.5 million) in its first weekend. The movie collected ₹35.50 crore (US$5.3 million) in its first week. The movie was declared as a "Semi-Hit", collecting ₹41 crore (US$6.1 million) in two weeks.
Jannat 2 was poor at the overseas, collecting $500,000 in its first weekend.
- "Jannat 2 collects 40 Crore Approx in Ten Days". Box Office India. 11 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 (2012) (Hindi)". Now Running. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 : Complete Cast and Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Film on Delhi's arms trade starts". Times of India. 17 September 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "'Jannat 2' to get an A certificate". Gomolo. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Reviews". Indicine. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 - Box Office India". Box Office India. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Court asks Bhatts to deposit Rs10 lakh". 10 July 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Music Details". Indicine. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Joginder Tuteja (9 April 2012). "Jannat 2 Music Critic Review – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Satyajit (11 April 2012). "Music Review : Jannat 2 – Glamsham". Glamsham. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- IANS (3 April 2012). "Jannat 2: Music Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Atta Khan (29 March 2012). "Jannat 2 – Music Review by Atta Khan – Planet Bollywood". Planet Bollywood. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Mitesh Saraf (29 March 2012). "Jannat 2 – Music Review by Mitesh Saraf – Planet Bollywood". Planet Bollywood. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- VIP (30 March 2012). "JJannat 2 Music Review – Music Aloud". Music Aloud. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Has Very Good Opening". Box Office India. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.[dead link]
- Taran Adarsh (3 May 2012). "Jannat 2 Critic Review by Taran Adarsh – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Gaurav Malani (4 May 2012). "Jannat 2: Movie Review – The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Review – Indicine". Indicine. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Mrigank Dhaniwala (4 May 2012). "Jannat 2 Review – Koimoi". Koimoi. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Madhureeta Mukherjee (3 May 2012). "Jannat 2: Movie Review – Times of India". Times of India. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Rajeev Masand (11 May 2012). "Masand: 'Jannat 2' could have been better". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Kanika Sikka (4 May 2012). "Review: Jannat 2 – DNA". DNA. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Review: ‘Jannat 2’ is lukewarm on the entertainment factor!". Zee News. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Martin D'Souza (4 May 2012). "Jannat 2 Movie Review: Glamsham". Glamsham. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Mansha Rastogi (4 May 2012). "Jannat 2: Review – Now Running". Now Running. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Movie Review: Jannat 2 – Daily Bhaskar". Daily Bhaskar. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Meetu (5 May 2012). "Jannat 2 – Review – Wogma". Wogma. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Sonia Chopra (4 May 2012). "Jannat 2 review: Tired story, cliched characters". Sify.
- Kunal Guha (3 May 2012). "Jannat 2 Review: Yahoo!". Yahoo!. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Raja Sen (4 May 2012). "Review: Jannat 2 isn't a sequel, or any good". Rediff. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 First Day Business". Box Office India. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.[dead link]
- "Jannat 2 First Day Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. 5 May 2012. Archived from the original on 27 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Has Good Weekend". Box Office India. 7 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Weekend Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. 7 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Has Good First Week". Box Office India. 11 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Jannat 2 Is Poor In Overseas". Box Office India. 9 May 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.