Puurtinen performing in 2010
|Birth name||Janne Johannes Puurtinen|
|Also known as||Emerson Burton, King Tut|
17 October 1974 |
|Instruments||Piano, keyboards, backup vocals|
|Associated acts||HIM, Daniel Lioneye, Suburban Tribe, Amorphis|
Janne Johannes Puurtinen (born 17 October 1974), better known as Burton or Emerson Burton, is a Finnish musician. He is best known as the keyboardist of the Finnish rock band HIM, with whom he has released several gold and platinum albums. Outside of HIM, he has played in various band's including Suburban Tribe, Daniel Lioneye and Amorphis.
Janne Johannes Puurtinen was born on 17 October 1974, in Helsinki, Finland. Born into an artistic family, both of his parents were ballet dancers, as was his sister. Puurtinen himself took up ballet for a few years, but quit due to a lack of interest, after which he began taking classical piano lessons at age five, which he continued well into his twenties. During his civilian service, Puurtinen worked as a lighting engineer at the Alexander Theater in Helsinki. He later worked as a stage manager at the Helsinki Opera House, a concert janitor at the Sibelius Academy, as well as a cook.
In 2001, Puurtinen joined the band HIM, with whom he had already played one show in the mid-nineties, performing Type O Negative -covers. After the addition of Puurtinen, HIM released the albums Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights and Love Metal in 2001 and 2003, respectively. Both cracked the top ten in several countries, and became the band's first albums to chart in the United Kingdom and the United States. After relocating to the US, HIM released Dark Light in 2005, which became the group's most successful album to date, going gold in Germany, the UK, the US, and platinum in Finland.
In 2007, HIM released Venus Doom, which went gold in Finland and Germany, and gave the band their highest US-chart position at number 12. After 2010's Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice, the band went on hiatus after drummer Gas Lipstick was diagnosed with a repetitive stress injury and nerve damage in his hands. After eight months of uncertainty, the band regrouped and eventually released the album Tears on Tape in 2013. In 2015, Gas Lipstick announced his departure from HIM after 16 years, to pursue other musical projects. He was subsequently replaced by Jukka "Kosmo" Kröger.
Other musical work
According Puurtinen, the first real band he played in was called Cosmos Tango, who won the Finnish Rock Championship in 1997. Prior to this, Puurtinen had played in various unspecified bands, while in comprehensive school, as well as high school. Following Cosmos Tango, Puurtinen joined Suburban Tribe, with whom he recorded the album Elektro 57. Puurtinen also played one show with Amorphis in Istanbul. In 2010, Puurtinen joined fellow HIM-members Linde Lindström and Mige in Daniel Lioneye. The band released the album Vol. II the same year, and in 2011 they toured the US, supporting Cradle of Filth. In 2016, it was announced that Daniel Lioneye would release their third album Vol. III on August 19, 2016.
Puurtinen has two children with his wife. According to Puurtinen, the nicknames "Burton" and "Emerson Burton" were coined by two friends, with "Emerson" being taken from Puurtinen's refrigerator.
- Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights (2001)
- Love Metal (2003)
- Dark Light (2005)
- Venus Doom (2007)
- Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice (2010)
- Tears on Tape (2013)
- Vol. II (2010)
- Vol. III (2016)
- Suburban Tribe - Elektro 57 (1998)
- Cosmos Tango - Helmi (1999)
- Juho K. Juntunen (2002). "HIM - Synnin viemää" p.182. WSOY
- Juho K. Juntunen (2002). "HIM - Synnin viemää" p.179. WSOY
- "Metal Hammer Presents HIM: Tears On Tape -Fanpack magazine - pg. 99". Metal Hammer.
- Juho K. Juntunen (2002). "HIM - Synnin viemää" p.180. WSOY
- Juho K. Juntunen (2002). "HIM - Synnin viemää" p.51. WSOY
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 239. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "H.I.M. > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums". allmusic.com. Retrieved 7 February 2009.
- "IFPI - Tilashot - Kulta- ja platinalevyt". IFPI.fi. Retrieved 7 February 2009.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (HIM)" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "Gold & Platinum". RIAA. Archived from the original on 31 December 2009. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "Metal Hammer Presents HIM: Tears On Tape -Fanpack magazine - pg. 10". Metal Hammer.
- "Drummer GAS LIPSTICK Quits HIM". Blabbermouth. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "HIM's VILLE VALO Talks New Drummer, Upcoming Studio Album". Blabbermouth. 15 August 2015. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "DANIEL LIONEYE Featuring HIM Members: 'Vol. II' To Receive U.S. Release In April". Blabbermouth. 26 February 2010. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "DANIEL LIONEYE: North American Touring Lineup Announced". Blabbermouth. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "HIM-kitaristin Daniel Lioneye -projektilta uusi studioalbumi". Soundi. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Himpulavauva!". Hymy. 19 August 2009. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Metal Hammer Presents HIM: Tears On Tape -Fanpack magazine - pg. 101". Metal Hammer.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burton (musician).|