Jantje Friese studied production and media management at the University of Television and Film Munich. After graduating, she worked as a producer for Made in Munich Film Production and Neue Sentimental Film Berlin. In 2010 she was the producer of the feature film The Silence with her partner Baran bo Odar.
Through this film, Netflix became aware of Friese and Odar and offered both to make a series based on the film. Instead, Friese and Odar jointly developed the first German Netflix series, Dark, which premiered December 1, 2017. Friese was honored with a Grimme-Preis, Germany's most prestigious television award, in 2018 for her writing on Dark season 1. In 2019 Dark was renewed for a third season.
- "filmportal.de - Jantje Friese". filmportal.de. Retrieved 26 January 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Silence, retrieved 2019-06-25
- "Netflix Confirms First German Series 'Dark' From Baran bo Odar". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-01-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dark (Netflix)". www.grimme-preis.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-06-25.
- Mitchell, Molli (2019-06-24). "Dark season 3 release date: Will there be another series of Dark?". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-25.