January 2019 Louisiana shootings
|January 2019 Louisiana shootings|
|Location||Ascension and Livingston parishes, Louisiana|
|Date||January 26, 2019|
A few weeks prior to the incident Theriot was taken in by his girlfriend's family, after being kicked out by his own parents. Investigators claim that Theriot killed three victims in Livingston Parish before he stole a truck and drove to the neighboring county and shot and killed his parents. The victims in Livingston Parish were Billy Ernest, aged 43, Summer Ernest, aged 20, and Tanner Ernest, aged 17; Elizabeth and Keith Theriot, both in their early fifties, were killed in Gonzales. The neighbor of the Ernest family told reporters that the two surviving Ernest children; aged 7 and 1 years old, ran to her home to call 9-1-1 and were unharmed in the incident. Police found both Elizabeth and Keith Theriot alive at their house after Keith called 911. Keith reportedly identified his son as the shooter. The couple later died at the hospital. It remains unclear as to the motive of the incident.
Theriot has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, illegal use of weapons, and home invasion in Ascension Parish, along with three counts of first-degree murder in Livingston Parish. After a day-long manhunt, Theriot was arrested by the Virginia State Police in Richmond County, Virginia, approximately 1,000 miles (1,600 km) from the crime scene, in the driveway of his grandmother's home in Warsaw. While he was arrested outside his grandmothers home, she had checked into a hotel, in fear Theriot would kill her as well. It was reported he had driven there to "hug and kiss his two aunts and grandmother goodbye" and did not fight extradition.
In a January 29, 2019 press conference, Ascension Parish Sheriff Bobby Webre and Livingston Parish Sheriff Jason Ard both described Theriot as a "monster."
- Press, The Associated. "Dakota Theriot fled Louisiana to apologize to relatives, attorney says". nola.com. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- Paris, Francesca (January 27, 2019). "Police Arrest Louisiana Man Suspected Of Killing Parents, Girlfriend and 2 Others". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- CNN. "5 dead after shooting spree in Louisiana". CNN. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- Bacon, John (January 27, 2019). "Dakota Theriot, suspect in 5 killings in Louisiana, arrested in Virginia". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- "Suspect sought in 5 killings, including his parents, near Baton Rouge in an apparent domestic dispute". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- "Five dead in Louisiana shootings". BBC News. 2019-01-27. Retrieved 2019-01-27.
- Maria Pasquini (January 27, 2018). "Louisiana Man Suspected of Shooting 5 — Including His Parents & Girlfriend — Arrested in Virginia". People. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Kennedy, Emma; Grueskin, Caroline (January 27, 2019). "Dakota Theriot's escape to Virginia: Alleged killer arrives at grandmother's with officials waiting". The Advocate. Retrieved January 29, 2019.