|Born||Janusz Andrzej Głowacki
September 13, 1938
|Alma mater||University of Warsaw|
|Spouse||Ewa Zadrzyńska (divorced)|
Janusz Głowacki (born September 13, 1938) is a Polish playwright, essayist and screenwriter.
He emigrated in 1981 to New York City in the wake of the imposition of martial law on Poland by its Communist government. There he was nominated for The Charles MacArthur Award for Outstanding New Play for Antigone in New York (1994). He is prominent in New York City society and the arts.
Awards and honours
- 1982: The Guardian and The Times awarded Cinders as the best play of the year
- 1987: American Theatre Critics Association Award for Hunting Cockroaches
- 1987: Joseph Kesselring Honorary Mention
- 1987: John S. Guggenheim Award
- 1987: Hollywood Drama League Critics Award
- 1987: Time Magazine awarded Hunting Cockroaches as the best play of the year
- 1988: National Endowment for the Arts
- 1993: Time Magazine awarded Antigone in New York as one of the best plays of the year
- 1994: nomination for The Charles MacArthur Award for Outstanding New Play for Antigone in New York
- 1994: Jurzykowski Prize
- 1997: Le Baladin Award, Paris
- 1997: Students of Sorbonne Award, Paris
- 1998: Critics Award for Antigone in New York staged in Proscenium Theatre in Paris
- 1999: Tony Cox Award at Nantucket Film Festival
- 2001: The Fourth Sister wins at International Theatre Festival in Dubrovnik
- 2002: Grand Prix for the best author at "Rzeczywistość przedstawiona" Festival
- 2002: nomination for Nike Award
- 2003: Grand Prix at Two Theatres Festival
- 2005: Śląski Wawrzyn Literacki
- 2005: Award of Minstry of Culture and National Heritage for literature
- 2005: nomination for Nike Award
- 2011: Czesław Miłosz Award given by US Embassy in Warsaw
- 2011: Warsaw Literary Award
- 2013: Gustaw Award
- 2013: Special Award "Diamond of Polish Radio Three"
- 2013: Naptune Award - Gdańsk Literary Award
- 2013: Jan Michalski Prize for Literature, finalist, Good Night, Dzerzi!
- Trojanowska, Tamara (2003), Stephan, Halina, ed., "Many happy returns: Janusz Głowacki and his exilic experience", Living in Translation: Polish Writers in America, Studies in Slavic Literature and Poetics Series, Rodopi, 38, p. 259, ISBN 9042010169.
- Helen Hayes Award Nominees & Recipients, theatreWashington, retrieved 2013-02-10.
- Encyklopedia teatru polskiego, "Janusz Głowacki", Encyklopedia teatru polskiego, retrieved 2016-08-17
- "Nagroda Prezydenta Miasta Gdańska "Neptuny"" (in Polish). Oficjalny serwis Miasta Gdańska; http://www.gdansk.pl. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- "Edition 2013". Jan Michalski Foundation. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Janusz Głowacki.|
|This article about a Polish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American screenwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|