Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (国立研究開発法人海洋研究開発機構 Kokuritsu-Kenkyū-Kaihatsu-Hōjin Kaiyō Kenkyū Kaihatsu Kikō, literally "National Research and Development Agency on Marine Research and Development), or JAMSTEC (海洋機構), is a Japanese national research institute for marine-earth science and technology. It was founded as Japan Marine Science and Technology Center (海洋科学技術センター) in October 1971, and became an Independent Administrative Institution administered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) in April 2004. 
Development and Promotion
JAMSTEC currently owns the following vessels and vehicles for marine research:
- Research Vessels: Natsushima, Kaiyo, Hakuho Maru, Tansei Maru
- Support Vessel: Yokosuka
- Manned Research Deep Submergence Vehicles: DSV Shinkai 2000 and Shinkai 6500
- Oceanographic Research Vessel : RV Mirai
- Deep Sea Research Vessel: Kairei
- Deep Sea Drilling Vessel: Chikyū
- Deep Sea Cruising Autonomous Underwater Vehicle: Urashima
- Remotely Operated Vehicles: Hyper-Dolphin, Kaikō 7000II, and REMUS 6000
- Deep Ocean Floor Survey System: Deep Tow
JAMSTEC is headquartered in Yokosuka and based in five other locations:
- Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES) in Yokohama.
- Mutsu Institute for Oceanography (MIO) in Mutsu, Aomori.
- Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI) in Kōchi.
- Global Oceanographic Data Center (GODAC) in Nago, Okinawa.
- Tokyo Office.
- The Array for Real Time Geostrophic Oceanography (ARGO)
- The Climate Variability and Predictability Programme (CLIVAR)
- Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS)
- Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS)
- International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP)
- The International Margins Program (InterMARGINS)
- An initiative for international cooperation in ridge-crest studies (InterRidge)
- Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP)
- North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES)
- "Organizational Overview". Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Organization Chart". Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Research Vessels and Vehicles". Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology. Retrieved February 22, 2012.