Japanese studies or Japan studies (sometimes Japanology in Europe) is a division of area studies or East Asian studies involved in social sciences and humanities research on Japan. It incorporates fields such as the study of Japanese language, culture, history, literature, art, music, and science. Its roots may be traced back to the Dutch at Dejima, Nagasaki in the Edo period. The foundation of the Asiatic Society of Japan at Yokohama in 1872 by men such as Ernest Satow and Frederick Victor Dickins was an important event in the development of Japanese studies as an academic discipline.
Japan studies organizations and publications
In the United States, the Society for Japanese Studies has published the Journal of Japanese Studies (JJS) since 1974. This is a biannual academic journal dealing with research on Japan in the United States. JJS is supported by grants from the Japan Foundation, Georgetown University, and the University of Washington in addition to endowments from the Kyocera Corporation and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The British Association for Japanese Studies (BAJS), founded in 1974, is an association primarily sponsored by Toshiba and the Japan Foundation. The BAJS publishes an academic journal called Japan Forum.
In Europe, the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS) is also funded by Toshiba and the Japan Foundation. It has held triennial conferences around Europe since 1973. Other academic journals dealing with Japanese studies include Monumenta Nipponica, a biannual English-language journal affiliated with Sophia University in Tokyo, and Social Science Japan Journal, published by Oxford University Press.
Scholarship on Japan is also within the purview of many organizations and publications dealing with the more general field of East Asian studies, such as the Association for Asian Studies or the Duke University publication Positions: Asia Critique.
- Ruth Benedict
- Basil Hall Chamberlain
- Evandro Costa
- Carol Gluck
- Lafcadio Hearn
- Donald Keene
- Fosco Maraini
- Edwin O. Reischauer
- Ernest Mason Satow
- Edward Seidensticker
- Mike Takano
- Francis Xavier
- Judit Hidasi
- Bulletin of the National Museum of Japanese History, In Japanese
- East Asian History
- Japan Forum
- Japan Studies
- Japanese Journal of Religious Studies
- Journal of Japanese Studies
- Monumenta Nipponica, Japanese studies, in English
- Sino-Japanese Studies 
- Social Science Japan Journal
- Asian studies
- East Asian studies
- International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- Japan Academy
- Oriental studies
- "International Foundation - Corporate Citizenship". Toshiba. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "The Japan Foundation > Main Activities > Japanese Studies and Intellectual Exchange > Topics > Associations & Institutions". Jpf.go.jp. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Publications". Bajs.org.uk.
- see online
- See online
- see online
- See online
Media related to Japanology at Wikimedia Commons
- Electronic journal of contemporary Japanese studies
- European Association for Japanese Studies
- Images of Japan in Non-Japanese Sources
- "Japan Studies". Research & Subject Guides. Washington DC: Georgetown University Library.
- Harvard Library. "Japanese Studies". Research Guides. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University.
- "Japanese Studies Research Guide". LibGuides. Evanston, Illinois, USA: Northwestern University Library.