||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||John Paul Lizardo|
|Born||June 8, 1986|
At 11 years old, Lizardo took up taekwondo, the year later he earned black belt. He joined the Philippine Black Belt contingent, the national team for students pursuing their elementary and high school studies, at age 12. When he was two years older, he joined the Philippine junior national team and began to compete in international tournaments such as the Korean Open and the Asian Junior Championship. By age 18, Lizardo was already a member o the senior national team.
Lizardo first garnered attention at the 2001 Asian Junior Taekwondo Championships where he captured the silver medal in the men's finweight.
Lizardo was among the 14 scholar-athletes who have scholarships from the Olympic Solidarity Movement under the Philippine Olympic Committee.
By 2016, Lizardo now serves as head coach of the Philippine national taekwondo team.
He is married with co-taekwondo artist Janice Lagman since May 8, 2016. On August 11, 2016, the couple announced on Instagram that they are expecting their first child. They announced the birth of their first child on February 25, 2017.
- "LIZARDO, John Paul". Taekwondo Data. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Lizardo, Avenido named to elite list". Business Insight Malaya. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "Gold winners speaks highly of Olympic taekwondo pre-Olympic event". 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics official website. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "2008亚洲跆拳道锦标赛男子-54kg半决赛菲律宾对韩国". 2tkd.com. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- Mejia, Adrianna (26 August 2016). "Japoy Lizardo on leaving a legacy". Rappler. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Giongco, Nick (2015-11-12). "Lizardo quits from PH team". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Navarro, June (January 14, 2016). "Filipino OSM scholars to strengthen bid for Rio". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- David, Jean Russel (15 April 2016). "Lizardo sees PH jins qualifying for Rio". The Manila Times. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Japoy Lizardo set to marry fellow Taekwondo practitioner Janice Lagman". Philippine Entertainment Portal. April 12, 2016. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Japoy Lizardo marries fellow taekwondo athlete". ABS-CBN News. 9 May 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Japoy Lizardo, wife Janice expecting first child". ABS-CBN Corporation. August 12, 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Japoy Lizardo, wife welcome first child". ABS-CBN News. 26 February 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Interview on Japoy Lizardo from World Taekwondo Federation (official website)
|This biographical article relating to sport in the Philippines is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to Taekwondo is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|