Inside the park
|Date opened||6 October 1860|
|Location||Bois de Boulogne, Paris, France|
The Jardin d'Acclimatation (French pronunciation: [ʒaʁdɛ̃ daklimatasjɔ̃]) is a 19-hectare (47-acre) children's amusement park located in the northern part of the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, alongside the Exploradôme museum and other attractions.
Opened on 6 October 1860 by Napoléon III and Empress Eugénie, this Paris zoo was originally known as Jardin Zoologique d'Acclimatation. It was directed by Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, son of the naturalist Étienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, until his death in 1861.
From 1877 until 1912, the Jardin Zoologique d'Acclimatation was converted to l'Acclimatation Anthropologique. In mid-colonialism, the curiosity of Parisians was attracted to the customs and lifestyles of foreign peoples. Nubians, Bushmen, Zulus, and many other African peoples were "exhibited" in a human zoo. The exhibitions were a huge success. The number of visitors to the Jardin doubled, reaching the million mark.
In 1931 the last anthropological exhibition was closed down and since then the zoo - now the Jardin d'Acclimatation - has become a family-oriented leisure park, focusing on children's activities.  Among the attractions are many fair-like activities, including mini-rollercoasters, swing rides, and a collection of farm animals and birds.
A miniature road system for children operated by the Paris police was closed in 2008.
The park includes an archery range, house of mirrors, miniature-golf course, narrow-gauge train, pony ride, puppet theater, shooting galleries, a science museum (the Exploradôme), and an art museum for children (the Musée en Herbe).
- "Jardin d'Acclimatation". frommers.com. Frommers. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "The Human Zoo: Science's Dirty Secret" (PDF). usd116.org. Channel Four Television Corporation. 2009. p. 2. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Bancel, Nicolas; Blanchard, Pascal; Lemaire, Sandrine (August 2008). "Racist Theme Parks for Europe's Colonialists: Human Zoos". mondediplo.com. Le Monde Diplomatique. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Jardin d'Acclimatation- From Human Zoo to Disneyland avant la Lettre". Minor Sights. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Media related to Jardin d'Acclimatation at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Jardin d'Acclimatation. From Human Zoo to Disneyland avant la Lettre