|Date opened||6 October 1860|
|Location||Bois de Boulogne, Paris, France|
|Owner||Compagnie des Alpes|
The Jardin d'Acclimatation (French pronunciation: [ʒaʁdɛ̃ daklimatasjɔ̃]) is a 19-hectare (47-acre) children's amusement park located in the northern part of the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, alongside other attractions.
Opened on 6 October 1860 by Napoléon III and Empress Eugénie, this Paris zoo was originally known as Jardin Zoologique d'Acclimatation, where plants and animals from the colonies could acclimatise to France's weather conditions. It was directed by Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, son of the naturalist Étienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, until his death in 1861.
From 1877 until 1912, the Jardin Zoologique d'Acclimatation was converted to l'Acclimatation Anthropologique. In mid-colonialism, the curiosity of Parisians was attracted to the customs and lifestyles of foreign peoples. Nubians, Bushmen, Zulus, and many other African peoples were "exhibited" in a human zoo. The exhibitions were a huge success. The number of visitors to the Jardin doubled, reaching the million mark.
In 1931 the last anthropological exhibition was closed down and since then the zoo - now the Jardin d'Acclimatation - has become a family-oriented leisure park, focusing on children's activities. Among the attractions are many fair-like activities, including mini-rollercoasters, swing rides, and a collection of farm animals and birds.
A miniature road system for children operated by the Paris police was closed in 2008.
The park includes an archery range, house of mirrors, miniature-golf course, narrow-gauge train, pony ride, carousels, puppet theater, shooting galleries, and an art museum for children (the Musée en Herbe).
- "Jardin d'Acclimatation". frommers.com. Frommers. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- Jardin d'Acclimatation. From Human Zoo to Disneyland avant la Lettre; In: MinorSights.com, 2016
- "The Human Zoo: Science's Dirty Secret" (PDF). usd116.org. Channel Four Television Corporation. 2009. p. 2. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Bancel, Nicolas; Blanchard, Pascal; Lemaire, Sandrine (August 2008). "Racist Theme Parks for Europe's Colonialists: Human Zoos". mondediplo.com. Le Monde Diplomatique. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Jardin d'Acclimatation- From Human Zoo to Disneyland avant la Lettre". Minor Sights. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Media related to Jardin d'Acclimatation at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Jardin d'Acclimatation. From Human Zoo to Disneyland avant la Lettre